Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newbie, help between Nikon D5100 and Canon 600D. I know my needs.

Default Re: Newbie, help between Nikon D5100 and Canon 600D. I know my needs.

Oh... come to think of it, there is two cameras that I like from Sony... A55 and Nex-5... A55 for its insanely fast fps and Nex-5 is so sexy (play with it once, like the quality of the pic taken, but hated the handling).

Well... if I was to choose, the easiest to use,

1) Canon (I am a Canon user and I am anti-nothing. This might also be because I am used to Canon already having owned and used 1000D, 40D and 7D)
    2) Nikon (my bro is a Nikon user and I played with his D90 and D7000, love their feels and build... a bit small for me though)
    3) Olympus (owned the EP-L1 and loved the IQ of this camera)
    4) Sony (only played with the NEX-5 from my friend, not really that easy to use for me, and I don't like its handling, but it produce beautiful pictures. and I am looking forward to play with the A55 when my friends finally got it next week).
    5) Pentax (not sure how it handles, never use any of the pentax before).

Basically I am not too worried about which camera use which brand of sensor. As long as they do what they are intented to do. and that I like the feeling and handling of the camera. I am also not bias against any other camera brand. After all... if I find (in future) any cameras that could serve my needs, I might jump ship... so all camera brands are opened to me (be it Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus or even Sigma).

And I don't like to limit myself to any one brands while rejecting others because of anti-something something.

I went through the same dilemma, only difference was with the previous generation of canon and nikon.

After weeks of going through reviews, friend/family recommendations and stats. It was too much and I realised there is honestly no point comparing stats as the cameras are "more or less" the same.

The most important consideration is going down to the store and trying the camera yourself. I felt the 550D and it was too narrow for me. I tried the D3100 and it felt cheap. In the end I went with a pentax KR. Not because it was better, but because it kinda felt right.

km here.
    i agree. the NEX 5 is good. have that. the only problem i see with it is the user interface, the slow frame rate for HD video, and the biggest problem, the lack of lenses.

Other than that i have the D90, and my entire extended family use Nikon so i've tried everything from D70 to D7000. Honestly the D7000 is GOOD. the white balancing was superior to even the D700. comparing noise at high iso a reduced size 12mp on the D7000 vs the 12mp on the D700, it was even comparable.

Anyway, correct me if i'm wrong, but the nikon kit lens for the D5100 is better than the 600D kit lens. just saying

so my point: if u can afford it, D7000. If not, D5100 or Nex 5, if u want the convenience

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Oh... come to think of it, there is two cameras that I like from Sony... A55 and Nex-5... A55 for its insanely fast fps and Nex-5 is so sexy (play with it once, like the quality of the pic taken, but hated the handling).

Well... if I was to choose, the easiest to use,

1) Canon (I am a Canon user and I am anti-nothing. This might also be because I am used to Canon already having owned and used 1000D, 40D and 7D)
    2) Nikon (my bro is a Nikon user and I played with his D90 and D7000, love their feels and build... a bit small for me though)
    3) Olympus (owned the EP-L1 and loved the IQ of this camera)
    4) Sony (only played with the NEX-5 from my friend, not really that easy to use for me, and I don't like its handling, but it produce beautiful pictures. and I am looking forward to play with the A55 when my friends finally got it next week).
    5) Pentax (not sure how it handles, never use any of the pentax before).

Basically I am not too worried about which camera use which brand of sensor. As long as they do what they are intented to do. and that I like the feeling and handling of the camera. I am also not bias against any other camera brand. After all... if I find (in future) any cameras that could serve my needs, I might jump ship... so all camera brands are opened to me (be it Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus or even Sigma).

And I don't like to limit myself to any one brands while rejecting others because of anti-something something.
    dude. even i as a Sony user hate the NEX interface. it's pretty bad. but the SLT cameras are better than that

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    dude. even i as a Sony user hate the NEX interface. it's pretty bad. but the SLT cameras are better than that
    Agreed. Actually... I am really looking forward to play with the A55. Love the look, didn't get a chance to really handle one... but my friend is getting it next week and he promised to let me have some hands on when we are at work. Love that insanely fast speed of the camera (fps wise) but not going to get it anytime soon... too much Canon lens and too used to Canon's ergonomic (don't hate me for that )

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123

Agreed. Actually... I am really looking forward to play with the A55. Love the look, didn't get a chance to really handle one... but my friend is getting it next week and he promised to let me have some hands on when we are at work. Love that insanely fast speed of the camera (fps wise) but not going to get it anytime soon... too much Canon lens and too used to Canon's ergonomic (don't hate me for that )
    Just get an A55 with the kit lens. Haha. I'm planning to do that but with IR mod. LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    Just get an A55 with the kit lens. Haha. I'm planning to do that but with IR mod. LoLz
    I'm gonna do that to an A33. They're cheap now!
    Alpha

Hi Ezra,

hope you can get the fact straight on Canon 600D, it did not have in-built AF motor.

although this is not the only criteria you have to consider when choosing a camera body, but you also need to think as a system (to the extends the ecosystem: people, hype, technology, usability).

the hard part about jump to DSLR is once you are in, you can be dive into more DSLR territory such as lens choices, accessories, technique, etc. Either you become so involved or quite due to sheer complexity. (and this is true to most of us).

For a newbie, doing the homework and asking around is half the battle.

So take it easy one step of the time, visit the showroom, feel it the handling, asking opinion on target lens and shooting style you expect to do. Then you make inform decision to buy. Nothing need to be rush when buying DSLR, as the amount is not cheap either.

Personally after doing some homework, I resort to kit lens and a fast lens prime as starter. After 8 month of usage, i still feel is enough for most of my shooting needs. Kits lens for good light/day light, prime lens for lowlight/night/indoor. Served both situation.

There is no ideal lens for any situation, so get within your mean and progress from there.
    The "D" in front!

some typo on the early post, what I mean most of them here in the DSLR related forum is very enthusiastic about the kind of gear, photo quality, technique and accessories. But those that quit (not quite) from it also equally significant (perhaps not even visiting this forum again), perhaps due to complexity or die of interest, some even put off the gear collecting dust.

Importantly to all of us, we can use the gear, collecting all the memories from pictures we take, progress from there, that is more important. Once you can keep your interest longer, you can advance to more sophisticated technology.

So consider this is just a tip of the iceberg...like this article
    http://www.bythom.com/iceberg.htm

have a nice hunting...it is really part of the exciting journey ahead to own a first DSLR...
    The "D" in front!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123