Thread: CBD Sunset

Default CBD Sunset

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    1a. From a single photo point of view, is the exposure correct (F11 @ 180s, ND6)?
    1b. Is the composition acceptable? The photo is left heavy and I have included the MBS 'landing'.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    A slightly different perspective.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Cloudy Sunset

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I like the overall mood (grumpy like me yet refreshing) but I find it abit under-exposed. I want to retain the color of the sky without getting dark buildings. What would you do under this situation?

Default Re: CBD Sunset

I like the composition.. At least the composition looks fresh to me.
    I agree with you that it is abit underexposed. If you want to retain the colour of the skies, u can apply a GND filter during post processing to maintain the skies colours while increasing the exposure for the rest of the photo because the buildings are quite dark actually.
    I am still learning but i hope that few critics from me can help.

Blog Entries

my take, too much empty space on right, not well balanced. good exposure though

Thanks both for the comments!

1. Will be trying out PP GND tonight. Trying very hard not to get a real GND... hehe.
    2. Noted you view on the empty space. I think cutting off @ Fullerton would help.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bananah View Post
    Thanks both for the comments!

1. Will be trying out PP GND tonight. Trying very hard not to get a real GND... hehe.
    2. Noted you view on the empty space. I think cutting off @ Fullerton would help.
    maybe. but do note the perspective will tend to make the buildings on the right look much larger than they actually are... u have to find a balance

Okie.

it took me a while to "chew" on it.

What I see. 2 leading lines joined and pointed to the left. Pulling the eye to look at the left. The different in spacing of the cluster of buildings on the right and left push the feel of the frame heavily towards left. The middle leading line cut across the nice reflection of the buildings. The long exposure created a serene looking body of water and a dramatic looking sky of moving clouds coloured by the setting sun. This is a back lighted scene. Generally, the buildings are dark and look somewhat underexposed but I find it actually quite nice because it has a kind of moody feel contrasting nicely with the dramatic sky and serene water. However, the buildings on the left is just too dark and everything look merged together.

My preference when attempting a similar scene is to look for a spot that will totally exclude the 2 leading lines as I will want the focus to be just the dramatic sky, moody looking building and a serene looking water with a nice hazy reflection of the buildings. These elements should be more than enough to really "make" the photo. I will probably do an exposure slightly more to the right and process the raw file to get an image with a nice exposure of the dramatic sky and another one with the buildings having just enough details in the dark shadows yet retaining the dark moody feel. Then later blend the 2 images together.

You may want to have the leading lines as part of the composition but it should help in "adding" interest and complimenting other features in the photo and not fighting for attention.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

I hope you don't have any indigestion. :x

Just kidding! Thanks for the indepth comments. I am trying to avoid a common composition of bottom water, middle building and top sky by drawing a horizontally flipped "7". While the left is kinda light in elements (building), I was thinking that the colorful sky would compensate for that and therefore, balance the picture.

But I guess it doesn't turn out well and I was too greedy in trying to get as many buildings in as possible.

Is this better?

Or I should drop the left most building completely?

Quote Originally Posted by bananah View Post
    I hope you don't have any indigestion. :x

Just kidding! Thanks for the indepth comments. I am trying to avoid a common composition of bottom water, middle building and top sky by drawing a horizontally flipped "7". While the left is kinda light in elements (building), I was thinking that the colorful sky would compensate for that and therefore, balance the picture.

But I guess it doesn't turn out well and I was too greedy in trying to get as many buildings in as possible.

Is this better?

Or I should drop the left most building completely?
    either way, you're left with a very tight crop that isn't very nice, both left and right (the fullerton)

i preferred your first shot better. for the first shot though, i would have placed the horizon halfway down from the middle, to capture more of the dynamic movement of the clouds.

rule of thirds bro! remember that

Blog Entries

I think you have enough comments about composition. The only way to fix the compositional problems is to reshoot at a different location.

On exposure, I think It looks quite ok, just that the buildings are a tad darker. Maybe try to boost a little on fill and you should be fine.

Beautiful sky, btw.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 21st May 2011 at 02:33 AM.

The MBS landing and the curved lights at bottom left make a nice leading line into the image, and also balance the bright sky at top right. I would suggest cropping off a bit of the bottom, right and top, as well as increasing the exposure, to achieve a better balance in the composition as well as clearer details of the buildings.

e.g.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    either way, you're left with a very tight crop that isn't very nice, both left and right (the fullerton)

i preferred your first shot better. for the first shot though, i would have placed the horizon halfway down from the middle, to capture more of the dynamic movement of the clouds.

rule of thirds bro! remember that
    Thanks bro! Will remember that! I was trying to keep the camera at perfect levelling (bubble at the center) and had forgotten the 1/3 rule. Should I point my camera higher to achieve the 1/3 then adjust the distortion during pp?

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I think you have enough comments about composition. The only way to fix the compositional problems is to reshoot at a different location.

On exposure, I think It looks quite ok, just that the buildings are a tad darker. Maybe try to boost a little on fill and you should be fine.

Beautiful sky, btw.
    Thanks DD. Will revisit again. I love to take CBD because the buildings' lights compensate for the lack of sunlight during that golden hr. easy way out. hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    The MBS landing and the curved lights at bottom left make a nice leading line into the image, and also balance the bright sky at top right. I would suggest cropping off a bit of the bottom, right and top, as well as increasing the exposure, to achieve a better balance in the composition as well as clearer details of the buildings.
    Thanks Zaren. Minor changes to composition make a big different. This is really fun stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bananah

Thanks bro! Will remember that! I was trying to keep the camera at perfect levelling (bubble at the center) and had forgotten the 1/3 rule. Should I point my camera higher to achieve the 1/3 then adjust the distortion during pp?

Thanks DD. Will revisit again. I love to take CBD because the buildings' lights compensate for the lack of sunlight during that golden hr. easy way out. hehe.

Thanks Zaren. Minor changes to composition make a big different. This is really fun stuff.
    How do I get to this place for photo taking.

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    How do I get to this place for photo taking.
    Just outside MBS (ard the center), facing the reservoir.