Thread: Going Taiwan this end June. a D90 or a lx3?

Default Going Taiwan this end June. a D90 or a lx3?

Hi guys,

I'm going overseas soon to taipei(~8days) end june for a holiday with my friends...

currently thinking whether I should bring my dslr along... i don't have much lens.. just a 35mm f/1.8 and a sigma 70-300 apo...
    I have a great panny lx3 with me but im afraid it's not enough for those 'bokeh' effects or nice pictures.

should i go ahead and just bring my lx3 for my trip? I would miss the 70-300mm zoom if i happen to see any desired shots far away.

my intended setup was to bring BOTH my d90 and lx3 along... but i guess it'll be quite ridiculous as I have to factor in the chargers and batteries for both cameras.
    impractical...

main question: is LX3 sufficient for a simple travel shoot? or perhaps i can get a flash to work together with lx3 so that night shots are done easily...

Thanks!

Default Re: Going Taiwan this end June. a D90 or a lx3?

I have both D90 and LX3. I think the problem with your D90 is the lack of lens to cover the range of wide angle till about 70mm, assuming u use 70-300mm.. Your LX3 somehow cover this. Hence, I will strongly recommend u bring the LX3 together with the D90. If you have a wide lens say 18-70mm, then maybe can don't bring LX3, just d90. a second hand 18-70mm or 18-55mm is not expensive, so can consider that.

hmm... currently still waiting for good offers on used 18-70 / 18-55 though...

main issue is that im not checking in luggage... so i'd like to keep the camera stuff at minimum...( not getting those super zooms...)
    so if i were to bring my d90 along with my old lowepro TLZ-2, i doubt it'll fit the lenses..
    will probably just bring lx3 along... heard that it's their rainy season during June/july period... risk getting camera wet.. haha.

thanks for your suggestions!

Honestly, I will bring both LX3 and D90 along, regardless of lens combination/weight. It better to have a spare camera than to be stuck there if one of the camera is down or something.

I'd bring both if I were you, and I did just that even when climbing mountains (I lugged along an F5pro and a fuji f11 plus their spare batteries while climbing). Reason being the compact camera can not only cover the wide angle in your case, but also act as a back up camera. For quick snap while you're on the move, the compact is the best choice, while you can depend on your D90 for better IQ for sceneries where you have more time. And you have the option of checking in baggage, so perhaps can make full use of that, so that chargers and batteries won't be an issue anymore? Btw, typhoon season started earlier this year in Taiwan (there was already last week).

Just bring Lx3. Your DSLR doesn't have walkabout range. Skies are bad this time of year too.

I always bring both my DSLR and P&S for my travels, with the P&S as a backup for my DSLR.

Your lens selection is abit short for your DSLR to be the primary camera. If I were you, and taking into consideration your luggage concerns, I will bring the lx3 for the scenery, and the D90 with only the 35mm for the bokeh-ish close up shots.
    Last edited by Stuffed; 20th May 2011 at 03:53 PM.

Bring both. Day travel especially to scenery places you can put your D90 to good use. However in night market, LX3 might be a better choice.
    It can be get pretty crowded and hard to move around with your camera bag and big camera.

Bring both!!

D90 + 35mm & LX3, the additional weight of the Lx3 does not really make a differences but the lightweight combo of the D90 + a f1.8 prime will make night shots/low light worth it! forgo the tele man
    ( Documenting the Human Condition | Flickr )

thanks guys.
    hmm, good news is that i've just bought a used 18-200vr and got rid of my sigma70-300.
    I'll still be bringing my lx3 along but i will let my friend use it =)

I guess chargers and batteries shouldnt be a problem for a carry in luggage.

@ziploc
    regarding the typhoons, im quite concerned about it as well... hope it goes well for me.

Hi ,

I just return from Taipei/Taiwan 2 days ago. For me I brought along 2 zoom lens(18-55 and 11-16), 1 dsrl cam, tripot and other stuff for various use. In addition I also brought along my G10 compact cam. Advantage for compact is that you can leave your heavy D90 and just carry your compact when you are visiting the nite market as the place is quite crowded and also June will be taiwan raining season, it have in fact started to rain everyday for the last few days.

Dont worried for the typoon, the current typoon should just skip taiwan mainland , I happen to be in taipei when the typoon gain speed, not so much of different, but feel quite cold and windly even taiwan is into summer. Go and get a camera bag with cover , this will definately help as most place you will probably not under shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32 View Post
    I have both D90 and LX3. I think the problem with your D90 is the lack of lens to cover the range of wide angle till about 70mm, assuming u use 70-300mm.. Your LX3 somehow cover this. Hence, I will strongly recommend u bring the LX3 together with the D90. If you have a wide lens say 18-70mm, then maybe can don't bring LX3, just d90. a second hand 18-70mm or 18-55mm is not expensive, so can consider that.
    Agree. A D90 itself with your lens not sufficient.
    If only LX3, may miss out some interesting subject.
    "How I wish I have brought my D90"... Hope this won't happen