Thread: Reduce File size of JPEG pix taken with DSLR

Default Reduce File size of JPEG pix taken with DSLR

Hi! all. need help to reduce file size of jpeg pix taken with my Nikon DSLR. cause my friends want me to email to them for them to post on the web. Would be good if theres a program that can batch convert the file size of the jpeg files to a smaller size for both printing & publishing online. I currently have Photoshop CS4 but not sure if it has the function. if there is can anyone provide instructions on how to use it to batch convert? Appreciate everyone's help.

Default Re: Reduce File size of JPEG pix taken with DSLR

Quick search and found this...based on the Windows XP Image Resizer PowerToy
    http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

there is always the overlooked Windows Picture Manager. you can find it in your start menu

You are a Nikon user, why don't use ViewNX2?
    is inside the CD come with your camera, or you can download it from Nikon site.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    You are a Nikon user, why don't use ViewNX2?
    is inside the CD come with your camera, or you can download it from Nikon site.
    With ViewNx2, you can batch process the photos the size you wanted and it will save to the directory you have setup, then post or email in much smaller file sizes. Very convenience ..

just to add,
    if you wish to publish photos online, best keep it within 150kb, not larger than 800pix and with visible watermark.

if you need to make print, a 1200pixelx1800pixel file is good enough for making a 4R print, file size usually between 0.8-1.5mb depends on the content when save as best.

so you need to make two versions for the same images for different usage, it is recommended to add "_print" and "_web" into filename to prevent using the wrong files for publish or printing.

you can write an action to process all these in one go with photoshop.

for renaming files, I prefer to use "Bulk Rename Utility"

for sending large files, you can use "YouSendIt".

Hope this help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie77 View Post
    Hi! all. need help to reduce file size of jpeg pix taken with my Nikon DSLR. cause my friends want me to email to them for them to post on the web. Would be good if theres a program that can batch convert the file size of the jpeg files to a smaller size for both printing & publishing online. I currently have Photoshop CS4 but not sure if it has the function. if there is can anyone provide instructions on how to use it to batch convert? Appreciate everyone's help.
    CS4 has all you need. I suggest you try clicking on the "help" function and search for "batch". Also, a quick online search for "batch resize in photoshop" returns TONS of results.
    Alpha