Thread: Diopter limit?

Default Diopter limit?

Need help,i cant seem to set my diopter right.I am using a Nikon D80 and have tried to set my diopter meter by removing the len and looking at a white piece of wall (learnt this by googling how to set diopter) and tried to adjust the diopter.

No matter how much i turn the diopter dial,i cant get the main focus point or the grid line to be sharp using my right eye. By the way,i am short sighted but my right eye has a slightly higher degree,about 200degrees. But when i use my left eye to set the diopter,i get perfect sharp lines in the viewfinder grid,maybe its because of the better eyesight in my left eye.

Question is,is there a limit on the diopter settings?Could my right eye degree of 200 exceed the limit of the diopter?

Default Re: Diopter limit?

You might need an additional diopter correction lens.

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answ...ter-adjustment
    Alpha

without mounting a lens, you won't able to see anything thru the viewfinder!!
    you suppose to adjust the diopter with the lens mounted.

look thru your viewfinder, focus on a subject, when confirmed the subject is in focus, adjust the diopter dial with your eye still look thru the viewfinder, till you find a setting which get you best sharpness.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    without mounting a lens, you won't able to see anything thru the viewfinder!!
    you suppose to adjust the diopter with the lens mounted.
    Actually he's doing it right... The requirement is to get the centre AF bracket to look sharp, so a nice blank white wall (with or without lens) will do the trick.
    Alpha

Find out what is the diopter limit of the viewfinder.

I think 200 degrees might have exceed the limit.
    Canon 6D | Canon 450D + Grip | EF 28 F1.8 | EF 85 F1.8 | Nissin 866 Flash

I just had a look at the D80 specs and the diopter limit is -2 to +1. FYI that translates to 200 degrees shortsightedness and 100 degrees farsightedness. So your right eye may be over the limit. As Rashkae said, and additional diopter correction lens may be what you need. Or just use your specs / contacts (the D80 has a decent eyepoint length, which is good for spectacle wearers).

Quote Originally Posted by kikham View Post
    Question is,is there a limit on the diopter settings?Could my right eye degree of 200 exceed the limit of the diopter?

When was the last check of your eyes? Could it be time for a re-check? Also, Astigmatism (in case you have this issue) cannot be corrected with diopter lens. That needs more and you should better use your specs in that case.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Actually he's doing it right... The requirement is to get the centre AF bracket to look sharp, so a nice blank white wall (with or without lens) will do the trick.
    My bad,

me old school, follow closely to camera user manual recommendation.

To TS, you need Diopter-Adjustment Viewfinder Lens or wear a specs.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

hmm weird i dun have this problem.. my eyesight is worst... left eye (800+) right eye (700+) got bad astigmastism (200+) but i cannot shoot with my specs on... prefer to shoot with my contact lens on.

Not sure if I get you -- if you're shooting with contact lens on, you don't need any diopter correction. You contacts already provide the correction.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    hmm weird i dun have this problem.. my eyesight is worst... left eye (800+) right eye (700+) got bad astigmastism (200+) but i cannot shoot with my specs on... prefer to shoot with my contact lens on.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Francis View Post
    Not sure if I get you -- if you're shooting with contact lens on, you don't need any diopter correction. You contacts already provide the correction.
    ohh ok... but i still adjust the diopter slightly cos by default i still find a bit blur.

Thanks for all who replied.

Guess i will have to purchase the diopter correction lens then.May i know where can i get it and how much does it cost?

Will they allow me to try first as i do not know which do i need?