Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nikon 135mm f/2 DC lens

Default Re: Nikon 135mm f/2 DC lens

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    Is DC an absolute unique feature that only nikon has it?
    Mechanism of defocusing control, apparently unique to Nikon.
    Canon has a 135/2.8 soft focus lens , but the mechanism is different.
    Sony has their 135/2.8 STF that works differently as well.

Ryan

Thanks for the info Ryan
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Sorry ....

But what does:

FF:

FX:

DC:

bg:

AIS

means ????

sorry, i am a newbie ...

FF: fullframe or where the sensor is 24mm by 36mm (135 film format)

FX: nikon's name for full frame (as opposed to DX which is APS-C 1.5X crop)

DC: defocus control. as explained by my post above

bg: background.

AIS: Auto Indexing - Spec. lenses with a linear aperture movement so that the exact aperture can be controlled by the camera body. as opposed to AI which is auto indexing but not in a linear fashion. only really important if you use the FA, EM, FG, F501, F301 and F4 and a couple more i think.

do a quick google search.. you ll find it all.
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

I have one copy of 135/2 dc. It works fine in outdoors or with flash, meaning focusing is accurate and sharp. However when used in indoors, focus is not as accurate. Settings are good like shutterspeed > 1/160 etc..

Quote Originally Posted by iankwa View Post
    I have one copy of 135/2 dc. It works fine in outdoors or with flash, meaning focusing is accurate and sharp. However when used in indoors, focus is not as accurate. Settings are good like shutterspeed > 1/160 etc..
    hmm, u r saying the focus is not accurate when used indoor (lowlight), or u r saying it's not accurate when u using indoor (l0wlight) when u use shutter less than 1/160?
    if the latter, it could your handshake instead of lens problem

Hi all!

digging up this thread abit. I've been wanting to get this lens for awhile, but the cost has been prohibitive. well, i might have the opportunity to get one now, but would like to ask the owners of this lens some questions.

1) how's the AF speed? This will join my 85 1.8 and 180 2.8 in replacing the normal 80-200 2.8 range so would like to ask if it can keep up when it comes to sports/action.

2) how does the manual focus ring feel? when im not shooting events i use manual focus as i find it more spontaneous. is it responsive/well dampened? i really enjoy the focus ring on the 135 f2 AIS version im using now, the 180 2.8 AFD a little loose but almost right.

3) hows the LOCA? my 135f2 AIS produces a fair bit of purple fringing in harsh lighting conditions. is this an issue on the DC version?

4) Performance with a TC? this one isnt too important but just wondering if it produces decent results with a 1.4X TC. i understand that the nikkor TCs wont fit, so will have to be the kenko/tamron 1.4X range of TCs.

5) any other special or bad things WRT to contrast/rendition/colour casts i should note?

thanks in advance for your input!

Regards,
    Benjamin
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

I hope there will be VR plus nano coating if Nikon do make a newer version of this 135 f/2 lens.
    Last edited by Spectrum; 6th August 2011 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iankwa View Post
    I've had a friend who uses a D300 and he had a 135 DC for a while, and was complaining about bad focus accuracy out of box in adequate lighting condition. However when placed on my D700, focusing was fine. I cannot comment more as I have not owned this lens before. Also do note some lenses due to abberations will focus badly in certain tungsten/coloured lighting... eg. hotel environment.

There might be higher occurance of bad cam body to lens combination errors for the 135 DC. So i urge all to test before making a purchase.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12