Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Macro move in

  1. #1
    Member enewmen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    167

    Default Macro move in

    Hi all.

    I'm looking for something that fits on top of the ball-head and allows me to slowly move in closer for macro photography. I forgot what that's called.
    Just focusing at a longer distance isn't always good enough.

    ok thanks!
    Canon 550D.
    180mm Macro, DIY Diffuser, 18-270mm zoom, etc.

  2. #2
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by enewmen
    Hi all.

    I'm looking for something that fits on top of the ball-head and allows me to slowly move in closer for macro photography. I forgot what that's called.
    Just focusing at a longer distance isn't always good enough.

    ok thanks!
    It is called a focusing rail.

    Manfrotto offers one that is quite affordable. Or you can go for more expensive ones like RRS or Kirk.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    Some also call it macro slider. Like the one from velbon, super mag slider
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  4. #4
    Member enewmen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    167

    Default Re: Macro move in

    Thanks for the posts!

    Please suggest a no-name rail/slider. I know Manfrotto is good, but since I'll focus with the lens, I don't think I need ultra-fine control with the rail.
    Where is a good place to find one in Singapore?
    Canon 550D.
    180mm Macro, DIY Diffuser, 18-270mm zoom, etc.

  5. #5
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    I think sgcamerastore has one for $40 or so. Can check with them.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  6. #6
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Macro move in

    Quote Originally Posted by enewmen View Post
    Thanks for the posts!

    Please suggest a no-name rail/slider. I know Manfrotto is good, but since I'll focus with the lens, I don't think I need ultra-fine control with the rail.
    Where is a good place to find one in Singapore?
    The no-name has a name too.. it is called Fotomate. Cost around $40-45. I am using the same one but the roller is not very smooth compared to the Manfrotto. You can see it in action here...

    btw you can find it in Orient photo (6th floor sim lim square), sgcamerastore (2nd floor excelsior), artworkfoto (midlink plaza B1).



    Enjoy..
    Last edited by daredevil123; 15th May 2011 at 09:46 AM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Macro move in

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    It is called a focusing rail.

    Manfrotto offers one that is quite affordable. Or you can go for more expensive ones like RRS or Kirk.
    Hi Daredevil, does RRS stand for "Really Right Stuff"? I had done a google and it appear top of my list.

  8. #8
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Macro move in

    Yup. Really right stuff.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •