Thread: Hi everyone. I have a newbie qus hope someone can help

Default Hi everyone. I have a newbie qus hope someone can help

If u decided to get a dslr (model decided)
    What is the things to look out for when before you go to the cashier?

Sorry if this qus is be ask.

Default Re: Hi everyone. I have a newbie qus hope someone can help

Since you have decided on the model to purchase, do download PDF copy of camera's user guide and quick start guide. Read them to allow one's understanding of the items supplied in the camera kit box and to ensure that the camera technical specification meets your expectation (possibly matches salesman's sales pitch).

Google search engine is helpful in locating the copy of the camera user guide and quick start guide.

Quote Originally Posted by kelchew

Self:
    Money/credit
    Determination

Shop:
    Look out for right price
    Look out for freebies
    Look out for a smart uncle

Item:
    Lense
    Mwmory card
    Dslr body
    Tripod
    Bag
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/57458156@N00/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kelchew View Post

Just make sure the camera is working. And make sure the camera serial number matches the one on the warranty card. Pay and be happy!

Thanks for the reply, mayb my qus abit too broad, what I mean is apart from the freebies that I should be getting,
    The body itself what should I check on?
    Is it marks? Scratch? Af is it working? Anythings else? Really new to this.
    The 1st dslr I got a year back I didn't really check on anything and straight to the cashiers after a few shots.
    This time round will do more Hm work b4 I pay up.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Just make sure the camera is working. And make sure the camera serial number matches the one on the warranty card. Pay and be happy!
    Oh jus this few things to check on? Still thinking of must check on the af is it ok. Etc..

You probably won't buy any product with any cosmetics defect if it's a new piece right?

That asides, you need to check lens for focusing if it's a kit set. Camera body for AF motor if it has any, LCD for dead pixels, warranty from the country u buy from instead of another country (search for the term grey set), receipt has date and company stamp or detail info.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

I heard that a completely new set (usually with plastic wrap) will ask for date, time and language when you first start it up there, so check that too. When you get back home, do use a software to check for shutter count (search google), or if you're the crazy type then you can tank your laptop there to do it XD

Recently there's been a problem with Nikon D7000 battery having "Sony" instead of "Nikon" at the back. I'm not sure if it affects since I didn't read it. You'll be able to find a pic of it at the last few posts of CS forums>Nikon>D7000 users fall in. Not sure if the other batteries are affected though.

Hmm... If you're buying a dual lens kit then also make sure the other lens is working, or even there at all. When I bought a D60 dual lens kit, the cashier forgot to give me the second lens since he didn't know I bought the dual, but fortunately I checked.

Mmm... Guess that's all from me

Quote Originally Posted by kelchew

Can check if the thing is working will do.. Don't need to be too paranoid unless you're getting it from one of the blacklisted shops. Don't worry so much! You can come with us to BBB also we can go with you when you make the purchase.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Quote Originally Posted by bonrya

Can check if the thing is working will do.. Don't need to be too paranoid unless you're getting it from one of the blacklisted shops. Don't worry so much! You can come with us to BBB also we can go with you when you make the purchase.
    Can you come with me if I wish to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by SamTac

Can you come with me if I wish to buy?
    Sure, when you want to buy?
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Quote Originally Posted by bonrya

Sure, when you want to buy?
    Thx, will contact u thru PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kelchew View Post
    Oh jus this few things to check on? Still thinking of must check on the af is it ok. Etc..
    New cameras are pretty much ok. Not much to check on since most stores honor a 3-7 day exchange policy, and the cameras come with warranty as well. So just make sure everything is new and working. That's all. and make sure you are buying a local set and get the right warranty card by matching serial numbers and looking at the warranty card.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seezhijie View Post
    I heard that a completely new set (usually with plastic wrap) will ask for date, time and language when you first start it up there, so check that too. When you get back home, do use a software to check for shutter count (search google), or if you're the crazy type then you can tank your laptop there to do it XD

Recently there's been a problem with Nikon D7000 battery having "Sony" instead of "Nikon" at the back. I'm not sure if it affects since I didn't read it. You'll be able to find a pic of it at the last few posts of CS forums>Nikon>D7000 users fall in. Not sure if the other batteries are affected though.

Hmm... If you're buying a dual lens kit then also make sure the other lens is working, or even there at all. When I bought a D60 dual lens kit, the cashier forgot to give me the second lens since he didn't know I bought the dual, but fortunately I checked.

Mmm... Guess that's all from me
    For Nikon, it depends also. For example the D700 is sold with all the time date setup all pre-done. So it does not apply to all Nikon camera bodies.