Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: clients wan raw files

Default Re: clients wan raw files

Quote Originally Posted by socksiong View Post
    i dun charge 20$ , but thanx for ur comment. so far right now, everything is confirmed via email, and invoiced.
    Not saying that you charge $20. But if there are more and more people who just do business without contracts/in a professional manner, this will be what is going to happen in the near future, people will not respect photographers anymore (and it is already happening, so many people just want photography for free). People just treat you as a goondu who spend lots of money so they can have good photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireemblem View Post
    Not saying that you charge $20. But if there are more and more people who just do business without contracts/in a professional manner, this will be what is going to happen in the near future, people will not respect photographers anymore (and it is already happening, so many people just want photography for free). People just treat you as a goondu who spend lots of money so they can have good photos.
    thanx but its getting OT, perhaps u want to open a new thread? i will consider drafting a contract then.

I think you have a very valid point here. But I also think that you are not very polite or respectful to the TS. He may not have good business skills yet but that's probably why he is asking for help here. There is no need for names calling.

The way to improve and protect the photography market is to educate both clients and importantly photographers themselves, even the amateurs doing the occasional paid job. That is why there are far sighted and generous photographers sharing their business knowledge here for the bigger good:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...ay-2011-7-10pm
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

i dun charge 20$ , but thanx for ur comment. so far right now, everything is confirmed via email, and invoiced.
    If there is no contract, you are not obligated to send them TIFF files.

Next time, make sure you very very very specifically list out the deliverables. Otherwise you are just throwing your work away.
    Alpha

hi sorry all, been bz, v hectic week, was at aff.
    ok to answer some of the queries, i've confirmed with the client that they want something high res, so from my pov, i will provide hi-res tiff files. will courier to them on wed.
    as for contract, i'm a freelancer so i don't give clients any contracts (don't flame pls, shd i start using 1 now?).
    A contract will help, in some ways, to protect your rights (especially copyrights), project a professional image of your service, and to show seriousness in the terms and deliverables agreed.

But I can understand that a freelancer, someone who does not depend on the service for his livelihood, does not usually have the resources or time to draft up a contract or other tools of trade that a professional photographer possessed. I don't think you are spoiling the market. The market is big enough to absorb freelancers. It's just that different people has different ways of looking at the market as a whole.

Cheers, keep shooting

Blog Entries

hi bros,i've just finished an event and already sent the photos to them. however client wans the raw files,and willing to pay extra for them,how much shd i charge them?
    I usually ask for $200-500 per RAW file depending on how many they want.

hi bros,i've just finished an event and already sent the photos to them. however client wans the raw files,and willing to pay extra for them,how much shd i charge them?
    where your contract in the first place?
    ur not protecting yourself

Blog Entries

thanx but its getting OT, perhaps u want to open a new thread? i will consider drafting a contract then.
    You should register as a sole proprietor, and have a contract in place. This is protect yourself. If you do not have a business entity, you have no way to enforce any promise of payment or otherwise.

Blog Entries

You are the kind of people who are killing the photography business.....dun even have a contract. Next time people will think, nah dun need to sign any agreement with the photographer, just agree to pay him $20 and then later can make him do whatever we want. hahahahahaha those stupid photographer
    Fellow brethren of the lens..... in a photography forum, thou shalt not call a fellow photographer (even a GWC) a 'stupid photographer' .... verbal warning served ....3 months late

stay cool...

p/s hi TS.... in chinese restaurants the $ per/kg for crabs, prawns and fish are its revenue mother lode ..... in photography services ..... among other premium value add services ...... its the size of that file
    Last edited by ed9119; 18th August 2011 at 01:50 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    p/s hi TS.... in chinese restaurants the $ per/kg for crabs, prawns and fish are its revenue mother lode ..... in photography services ..... among other premium value add services ...... its the size of that file

OT: Den I can charge more for RAW instead of sRAW too? Haha...

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    OT: Den I can charge more for RAW instead of sRAW too? Haha...
    I guess you still don't get it...

RAW file is like negatives in the film heyday.

photographers do not release negative to customers, if any customers asked, the replies are either "over my dead body", or "it will cost you an arm and a leg".
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

I think Anson is being a smart ass and jokingly about the comparison....

Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    I think Anson is being a smart ass and jokingly about the comparison....
    I was referring to Ed's example of $ per/kg for crabs, etc...

I hope you don't find "Smart-Ass" as offensive... OZ casually use it to describe someone to be funny by pointing the obvious.

Regards,

Hart

Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    I hope you don't find "Smart-Ass" as offensive... OZ casually use it to describe someone to be funny by pointing the obvious.
    No worries...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12