Thread: Things to take note when buying a camera.

Default Things to take note when buying a camera.

Hi, i'm starting this hobby fresh and new. but erm..
    I don't know what to look into when i buy a camera.
    My question is:
    What to take note when buying a camera(DSLR/Compact camera) regardless new or 2nd hand.
    Pls advise Thanks you very much.

Default Re: Things to take note when buying a camera.

Any of your friends own DSLR ? They can advise and provide personally service by accompany u when you intend to purchase. Other way, you need to search through this forum. Tons of information based on body, lens, skill, accessories etc... my 2cts

Does it serve your purposes?
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Singapore (West)

Set a budget first..
    And then narrow down your choices to those that suit your needs..
    And don't forget to look at other brands other than Canon or nikon.. sometimes they are able to suit your needs at a lower price..
    Lastly, look at the sticky on which camera to buy written by Rashkae..
    Happy shopping
    Canon 550D | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6IS | EF 50mm f/1.8II |
    My Humble Flickr

There are many options available and choosing can be difficult. I find that a good basis in choosing a camera model is the image sensor size. The price of cameras is mostly related to this sensor size. The larger the sensor, the more expensive the camera. So IMO decide which sensor size you want to go with, and then filter out.

The image sensor is a photo-sensitive sensor that captures the light and converts it into your final image. The ability of this sensor to capture the full spectrum of colours and contrast (dynamic range), with less grain (noise) is related to its size.

You can see the available sensor sizes on this website:

Smaller compact generally start off with approximately 1/2.5" sized sensors. This is the most popular type and there are hundreds of choices. The models very a lot in terms of features like zoom, controls etc, and hence vary a lot in price. But there will be no significant variation in final image quality.

For example the Canon SX30 IS and the Canon SX130 IS both have 1/2.3" sensors. The prices between vary because of features, lens quality, LCD screen size etc. The SX30 IS will be the better camera because the better quality components will maximize the sensor capability but you should know that the final image quality will not improve by too much.

The next jump is to 1/1.6" and 1/1.7" sized sensors. These cameras are only a handful a few examples are: the Canon G12 and S95, Samsung EX1, Olympus XZ1 and Panasonic LX5. The larger sized sensor allows for better dynamic range and less noise when shooting in low light. Obviously the prices are higher.

The level after this are the 4/3rds and APS-C sensors. These are relatively huge and usually come in interchangeable lens cameras like the DSLR and mirrorless type. Examples of APS-C sensor models are the Canon EOS 550D, the Nikon D3100, Pentax K-r etc. 4/3rds sensors are an alternative to the APS-C that were invented by Olympus. Though 4/3rds sensors are a tad smaller, they tend to do very well and quite competitive. There tends to be a lot of large sensor models available across a wide price range. The differences tend to be in features that are maybe useful for professional application - image quality stays more or less the same.

You should know that DSLRs have traditionally had APS-C or 4/3rd sensors inside them. These cameras are fairly well developed and generally come with a huge variety of lens options and accessories. However in recent times a new genre of cameras has appeared called mirrorless (interchangeable lens) cameras. These use the same large (APS-C or 4/3rd) sensors inside them but also come in compact bodies. A few examples are the Pansonic G3, Olympus EPL-2, Sony NEX5 and Samsung NX10.

Sensors larger than APS-C are APS-H, full frame and medium format. But these tend to be quite expensive.

Anyway, happy searching.
    Last edited by Shahmatt; 14th May 2011 at 11:25 AM.
    Samsung NX10+30mm, Fuji S6500FD

In a mobile cage

Come to our BBB outings!
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Pasir Ris

First thing to note: read existing threads:
    Or are you asking how to check the camera in terms of proper functions?
    Last edited by Octarine; 14th May 2011 at 11:40 AM.

First, you have to find out what are the kind of pictures you want to take and move from there.

Thanks everyone for the advise, now i had a cleaner idea of what feature i need and narrow down, got a budget for the camera i want...
    Now i need to read up thread about "After purchase maintenance", don't wanna buy a camera then start to think what maintenance i need to do. lols
    Once again, Thank you very much everyone

It is important to find a physical copy of the camera you're looking for and try it yourself.

Online reviews and etc mean absolutely nothing if you dont like the feel of the camera.

I almost got a 550D... until I tried the camera and it just didn't feel comfortable in my hands. Go out and try all the cameras! You'll instantly know which one feels "right".