Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Always blur image

Default Re: Always blur image

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    u are using AV mode to shoot. the shutter speed should be good enough as it is determined by the camera. I guess is your focusing. it is done not correctly.
    Another way is to do spot focusing. I'm guessing that you are doing multi-point focus in these pictures?

sometimes, multi-focus does not focus on where you want to be.

change to spot focus, aim at the subject's eyes or forehead or anywhere u wan to focus.

another thing is your ISO. got to bump up yr ISO sometimes.

It could also be your handling and breathing techniques. these makes alot of difference in the sharpness.

Zaren those pics sure looks much better in terms of contrast and sharpness! Care to share how you do it?

I checked the histogram it is somewhat in the middle but still it is underexposed. I have a few friends having the same problem with Canon 40D end up they have to permanently set exposure compensation to +. Does anyone has this problem as well?

I use spot focus but the dog was running and it is very hard to focus his face haha! I will practice more.

Oh sorry when I say TV I meant shutter speed. As in I always set in AV mode so the shutter speed will auto set, say 1/20 at 120mm focal length, but because I read that IS has the capability to compensate up to 3 stops of shutter speed so do I still have to set ISO until I see shutter speed at 1/focal length?
    Last edited by Jeronleow; 19th May 2011 at 12:25 AM.
    Canon EOS 40D, EF-S 17-85mm F4-5.6 IS USM, pending BG-E2N grip and Speedlite 580EX-II flash

Quote Originally Posted by Jeronleow
    Zaren those pics sure looks much better in terms of contrast and sharpness! Care to share how you do it?

I checked the histogram it is somewhat in the middle but still it is underexposed. I have a few friends having the same problem with Canon 40D end up they have to permanently set exposure compensation to +. Does anyone has this problem as well?

I use spot focus but the dog was running and it is very hard to focus his face haha! I will practice more.

Oh sorry when I say TV I meant shutter speed. As in I always set in AV mode so the shutter speed will auto set, say 1/20 at 120mm focal length, but because I read that IS has the capability to compensate up to 3 stops of shutter speed so do I still have to set ISO until I see shutter speed at 1/focal length?
    One way to learn on how to set aperture or shutter speed is to shoot on auto first. Let the cam show you it's auto setting for that particular picture, then u see what aperture, iso and shutter it used.

From there, u can learn and try it out on TV or AV mode. Adjust and try out different values.

It takes alot of practice to be able to read a particular environment or subject before even pressing the shoot button.

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    One way to learn on how to set aperture or shutter speed is to shoot on auto first. Let the cam show you it's auto setting for that particular picture, then u see what aperture, iso and shutter it used.

From there, u can learn and try it out on TV or AV mode. Adjust and try out different values.

It takes alot of practice to be able to read a particular environment or subject before even pressing the shoot button.
    Thanks for your advise man.
    Canon EOS 40D, EF-S 17-85mm F4-5.6 IS USM, pending BG-E2N grip and Speedlite 580EX-II flash

Quote Originally Posted by Jeronleow View Post
    Thanks for your advise man.
    http://lifehacker.com/5801710/camera...u-how-it-works

u can try this too. it's a very good simulation.
    X-Pro 1 Canon 5D iii | 5D ii | 17-35 L f2.8 | 35 L | 50mm f1.4 | 85 L | 24-70 L | 70-200 L IS f2.8

Thanks for the site I will explore around.

Actually I have a good understanding of the basics and theory of the exposure triangle, compensation and stuff. I am just curious about the blur images I always get. I think I already have the answers from all the replies here

Actually I have a good understanding of the basics and theory of the exposure triangle, compensation and stuff. I am just curious about the blur images I always get. I think I already have the answers from all the replies here
    Care to share your conclusion with us?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeronleow

If u r in doubt despite u applied the settings, check yr lens for focusing problem. I think someone mentioned abt using focus chart? Test it out.

Try this for fun.

Position 3 objects at different distant from your camera and focus on the subject in the middle with aperture wide open. The subject on the left is nearest the camera and the subject on the right is furthest from the camera.

A centered histogram doesn't mean it is well exposed, it just means the bulk of the exposure is mid tone. To have good exposure (good contrast & brightness), the histogram needs to span the entire range from left to right (meaning the left of the histogram is touching the left edge and its right is touching the right edge, giving max contrast), and the peak of the histogram is near to the top but not exceeding (max brightness). Sometimes if you have a lot of highlights and shadows but not much mid tone, the histogram will not be a bell shape but rather double bell shape instead. This is still ok as long as the contrast & brightness are observed as mentioned.

Do not depend on IS too much. It is useful when in low light situation, but IS can be a hit-and-miss thing. It is also only useful for compensating camera shake, but won't help if you have motion blur (which in this case 1/20s is too slow for a moving dog). The best is to observe the 1/(focal length) rule of thumb.

If you're in doubt of your lens sharpness, you can test it out by shooting static objects on a tripod, using remote trigger/shutter string/timer. Downloading and shooting test charts will also be a good idea.

My conclusion is that my shutter speed is too slow for the focal length that I use and given I want to stay at F8 I should bump up my ISO to match 1/focal length. Also some post processing will help make a "soft" looking image looks sharp. I also just realised that my camera setting for picture style for sharpness, contrast and saturation was below the mid point which comes default with the camera. Played around with the settings and took a before and after photo it looks totally different.

Noted about histogram and IS thing will pay attention to it.

I have done the focus test this morning will post a result for you guys to analyse!

Jeron, thank you for your feedback

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123