Thread: Child's Birthday Party

Default Child's Birthday Party

Hi,

Could you please give me some advice on how to shoot a child's birthday party? I mean, what are the things that I have to be more cautious with?

FYI, the party will be held at Build-A-Bear and the in house light is yellow halogen down light. Any suggestion that what kind of setting I need to use?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Child's Birthday Party

Flash with diffuser, kit len with 18mm allows you to put more children into group photos, and the most important you skill in fast shooting. Kids usually do not have impatient to pose too long. my 2cts

Quote Originally Posted by NikF601 View Post
    Flash with diffuser, kit len with 18mm allows you to put more children into group photos, and the most important you skill in fast shooting. Kids usually do not have impatient to pose too long. my 2cts
    Appreciate it and many thanks.

My own findings when i went to a friend's daughter party, AI Servo helps, also isolate the kids. If you follow one for 5-10 mins and just focus on him/her you tend to get better results. At first, i wanted to take every kid that came in my direction but its either im not fast enough or the camera is not fast enough..... 5-10 mins per kid is kinda fun though cause thats more then enough time for them to be in every corner of that confined space cause they so active haha

But this is just me finding what works

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by conkeychua View Post
    My own findings when i went to a friend's daughter party, AI Servo helps, also isolate the kids. If you follow one for 5-10 mins and just focus on him/her you tend to get better results. At first, i wanted to take every kid that came in my direction but its either im not fast enough or the camera is not fast enough..... 5-10 mins per kid is kinda fun though cause thats more then enough time for them to be in every corner of that confined space cause they so active haha

But this is just me finding what works

Cheers!
    Thanks, what an enlightenment.

Shoot in RAW if u r unsure of the lighting temperature and pp to fine tune the WB. U wont hv time to worry about WB shooting kids in strange environment.

Unless the store is evenly lit, u would hv prob if using M mode. Using A mode might slow down the shutter too much, so i suggest S or P mode. Use bounce ceiling/card flash or high ISO that u can accept.
    Last edited by Alan Chan; 14th May 2011 at 10:01 PM.
    Nikon D700| 70-200mm f/2.8G VR2| 28-70mm f/2.8D| 85mm f/1.8G| 50mm f/1.8G| SB900/SB28| MB-D10

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Chan View Post
    Shoot in RAW if u r unsure of the lighting temperature and pp to fine tune the WB. U wont hv time to worry about WB shooting kids in strange environment.

Unless the store is evenly lit, u would hv prob if using M mode. Using A mode might slow down the shutter too much, so i suggest S or P mode. Use bounce ceiling/card flash or high ISO that u can accept.
    Thanks for advice.