Thread: need help on my mbs nite shoot

Default need help on my mbs nite shoot

Hi All,

I'm using samsung nx11 + 20mm lens to tk the pic as shown below, but as compare to photos taken by others, my pic seem to be darker and not bright enough. My settings for the pic were iso200, f22, 30sec and wb is tungsten.

Can anyone pls advice me on the setting for aperture, iso, shutter spd and wb. Or I should pp my photo?

Tks.

Default Re: need help on my mbs nite shoot

photo is pretty underexposed altho the lotus thingy seems to be properly exposed. open up the aperture as well, and i wouldnt shoot at f/22 if i were u, since diffraction will affect the picture, making it appear less sharp. horizon's tilted as well.
    Last edited by Irvine; 12th May 2011 at 09:09 PM.
    Google is your friend. Make use of it.

Your camera meter is probably confused by the "bright" lotus, and the Samsung sensor is not exactly known for good dynamic range. As Irvine suggested, reduce your aperture. Set to max f/16, you can try at f/11 too.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by ygw0707 View Post
    Hi All,

I'm using samsung nx11 + 20mm lens to tk the pic as shown below, but as compare to photos taken by others, my pic seem to be darker and not bright enough. My settings for the pic were iso200, f22, 30sec and wb is tungsten.

Can anyone pls advice me on the setting for aperture, iso, shutter spd and wb. Or I should pp my photo?

Tks.
    Agree with Irvine.

Just another point to take note here, as Ivrine mentioned, for many lens, anything beyond f16 will cause diffraction. The recommended "zone" is normally from f8-f16.

But for this particular shot, you may also want to take note that given the same scene at the following settings ISO200, f16, 30sec may cause the "white hand" to be abit overexpose (because it's too bright). Can consider either using the black card technique or PP to make it "normal".
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Tks for the advice.

I will try to shoot at diff f-stop.

you need to find some way to overcome the rather big gulf in brightness between the 'Lotus' (ArtScience Museum) and the rest of the scene, including the skyscrapers in the background.

I honestly don't know if changing your aperture settings will help The dynamic range would probably still be exceeded.
    The white balance looks weird too. Very blue-ish.
    Exploring! :)

http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...image_quality/ check the portion about night photography.

just as i expected, it has got to do with the slowest shutter speed the camera can go (on semi-automatic exposure modes) and probably not the DR of the sensor. for the NX-11, slowest shutter is 30s and no more, so it is not surprising that at F22 the required exposure time exceeds the 30s limit, resulting in under exposure.

advice? probably to shoot with a lower F. number, or bump up your ISO at F22, but the advice to open up your aperture probably is the best advice.

P.S. your NX-11 can do 8 mins exposure in bulb mode. how to do bulb exposures? please refer to your manual.
    i'm a noob | APWP 2012

Quote Originally Posted by nissanmanic View Post
    http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...image_quality/ check the portion about night photography.

just as i expected, it has got to do with the slowest shutter speed the camera can go (on semi-automatic exposure modes) and probably not the DR of the sensor. for the NX-11, slowest shutter is 30s and no more, so it is not surprising that at F22 the required exposure time exceeds the 30s limit, resulting in under exposure.

advice? probably to shoot with a lower F. number, or bump up your ISO at F22, but the advice to open up your aperture probably is the best advice.

P.S. your NX-11 can do 8 mins exposure in bulb mode. how to do bulb exposures? please refer to your manual.
    But part of the lotus already blown leh. If TS go from f/22, 30s to f/16, 30s (for example) the skyscrapers would be brighter but even more of the lotus would be blown.
    So it is a dynamic range issue as well as an underexposure issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    But part of the lotus already blown leh. If TS go from f/22, 30s to f/16, 30s (for example) the skyscrapers would be brighter but even more of the lotus would be blown.
    So it is a dynamic range issue as well as an underexposure issue.
    agreed that's it's a problem with the dynamic range of the scene as well as underexposure. did not realise that the lotus was on the verge of blowing out because i was addressing the issue specifically about the underexposure. good point and i learnt something. =) probably should change shooting times/spot or do exposure bracketing and process.

p.s. his wb was set to tungsten, that's why the scene came out bluish.
    Last edited by nissanmanic; 12th May 2011 at 10:53 PM.
    i'm a noob | APWP 2012

Quote Originally Posted by nissanmanic View Post
    p.s. his wb was set to tungsten, that's why the scene came out bluish.
    I know

May I know wat's the better setting for wb? Tks.

Quote Originally Posted by ygw0707 View Post
    May I know wat's the better setting for wb? Tks.
    If you shoot in RAW, you can edit the WB during post-processing until you are happy with it.
    For night scenery, I find auto WB does quite a good job.
    Most importantly, since YOU took the photo, did YOU like the end result of the white balance setting?

Tungsten is the colour given off by those 'old-school' filament bulbs... very yellowish. So if you set 'tungsten', camera will compensate by making everything more blue-ish.

Blog Entries

actually the solution is preeety simple.

just change the time of the shoot. he shot this way after the sun has set. shoot it around sunset hours, u shld have sufficient ambient light and ur overall exposure more balanced...

then to take it a bit further... if u know blackcard techniques... can just blackcard that lotus until its acceptable...

feel grateful for all the advice..

i will try to shoot it again and show my result to ur..

many tks