Thread: Advice on walkaround/portrait lenses

Default Advice on walkaround/portrait lenses

Hi,

I'm looking for a good walk around & portrait lens for my D3100. Currently, the lenses that are in my mind now are the:

Nikon 50mm f1.8D
    or
    Nikon 50mm f1.4D
    or
    Nikon 85mm f1.8D

I'm aware that it does not auto focus but it's not a problem for me but I'm just stuck with not knowing what to get plus i'm tight on budget, can any kind souls help me out with some tips?
    Last edited by zw1989; 12th May 2011 at 01:51 AM.

Default Re: Advice on walkaround/portrait lenses

Quote Originally Posted by zw1989 View Post
    Hi,

I'm looking for a good walk around & portrait lens for my D3100. Currently, the lenses that are in my mind now are the:

Nikon 50mm f1.8D
    or
    Nikon 50mm f1.4D
    or
    Nikon 85mm f1.8D

I'm aware that it does not auto focus but it's not a problem for me but I'm just stuck with not knowing what to get, can any kind souls help me out with some tips?
    i suggest tat u shld wait for the AF-S 50 f/1.8G to hit the local stores. it had been announced recently. u can get to do AF with it too.

http://www.nikon.com.sg/productitem....425-888e7f3a61

alternatively u can consider sigma's 50 f/1.4 and 85 f/1.4 if u r willing to stretch the budget a little further.
    Last edited by Irvine; 12th May 2011 at 01:48 AM.
    Google is your friend. Make use of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Irvine View Post
    i suggest tat u shld wait for the AF-S 50 f/1.8G to hit the local stores. it had been announced recently. u can get to do AF with it too.

http://www.nikon.com.sg/productitem....425-888e7f3a61

alternatively u can consider sigma's 50 f/1.4 and 85 f/1.4 if u r willing to stretch the budget a little further.
    Thanks for the reply. Ya I heard about the 50mm f1.8G but if lets say between the above 3 choices I have mention, which will you pick? For the sigma f.14 and the nikon f1.4 I'm tight on budget.

Quote Originally Posted by zw1989
    Hi,

Nikon 50mm f1.8D
    or
    Nikon 50mm f1.4D
    or
    Nikon 85mm f1.8D

I'm aware that it does not auto focus but it's not a problem for me but I'm just stuck with not knowing what to get plus i'm tight on budget, can any kind souls help me out with some tips?
    I'd advice Nikon 50mm f1.4D if you don't mind paying a couple of hundred more for a stop. If not, the f1.8D should suffice. I don't recommend the 85mm as it would be too tight for a walkabout.
    Nikon D800 | N14-24mm | N50mm | GoPro HERO 3 | Clarenze Photography

Do you really have these choices?
    The f1.8 lenses are not AF-S (ie. no drive motor) and will not be AF on a D3100.

Focal length wise, personally, I'd get the 50mm (either one depending on budget)

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam
    Do you really have these choices?
    The f1.8 lenses are not AF-S (ie. no drive motor) and will not be AF on a D3100.

Focal length wise, personally, I'd get the 50mm (either one depending on budget)
    TS said he dun mind the loss of AF. How abt 35mm 1.8G?
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Blog Entries

haha.. yup why not af-s 35mm? it will af on your d3100 nicely. its a nice and budget lens. although i use 50mm most of the time haha
    Lousy de My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by zw1989 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Ya I heard about the 50mm f1.8G but if lets say between the above 3 choices I have mention, which will you pick? For the sigma f.14 and the nikon f1.4 I'm tight on budget.
    i'll take AF-D 85 f/1.8. it's one of my fav focal lengths for portraiture and streets. if i wanna do landscape while walking around i will grab my uwa with me. but tat's just me.

it'd be better if u discover which focal length u prefer shooting at otherwise u will regret ur choice if u buy blindly.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarenze View Post
    I'd advice Nikon 50mm f1.4D if you don't mind paying a couple of hundred more for a stop. If not, the f1.8D should suffice. I don't recommend the 85mm as it would be too tight for a walkabout.
    i use my 80-200 for walkabout n i dun find it tight at all it's all based on ppl's preferences. TS may not mind shooting at 85mm for walkabout.