Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A QUestion For ......

keith, not that i'm trying to be funny or offensive, but if u really wanna get started on photog as a career or hobby, you should consider taking a basic course or something similar. that way u'll learn the fundamentals, as well as why most photogs prefer SLRs, why some prefer Canon/Nikon. i've been shooting for several years now but i'm forcing myself to go thru a "basic' course to cover the gaps that i missed in my self-taught experience.

also, there's different types of photog for a career, like event, travel, studio, fashion, sport, etc etc. all require different skill sets and different equipment. you should also try out the different cams that you mentioned to get some actual hands-on experience. for all you know, you might just prefer the feel of Canon D60 over the D100, or the S2 Pro over D30. different people different taste, so IMHO do a lot more research and test-trialling before you dump $7K on a whole set of equipment. that'd be a damn shame and waste if you decide this is not for you... unless u're dirt rich of course, then do what you want.

there's a "story" that someone told me once - a small lady who was taking the PSS Basic Photog course went out and bought the ultimate latest - Nikon F5, the best AF f/2,8 tele lens, full accessories, the works. in the end, she can hardly carry all the gear she bought (which is quite silly if you ask me). point i'm trying to make is that 'one man's meat is another man's poison'. get what suits you and what you need, not necessarily what's the best.

Originally posted by firefox13
    keith, not that i'm trying to be funny or offensive, but if u really wanna get started on photog as a career or hobby, you should consider taking a basic course or something similar. that way u'll learn the fundamentals, as well as why most photogs prefer SLRs, why some prefer Canon/Nikon. i've been shooting for several years now but i'm forcing myself to go thru a "basic' course to cover the gaps that i missed in my self-taught experience.

also, there's different types of photog for a career, like event, travel, studio, fashion, sport, etc etc. all require different skill sets and different equipment. you should also try out the different cams that you mentioned to get some actual hands-on experience. for all you know, you might just prefer the feel of Canon D60 over the D100, or the S2 Pro over D30. different people different taste, so IMHO do a lot more research and test-trialling before you dump $7K on a whole set of equipment. that'd be a damn shame and waste if you decide this is not for you... unless u're dirt rich of course, then do what you want.

there's a "story" that someone told me once - a small lady who was taking the PSS Basic Photog course went out and bought the ultimate latest - Nikon F5, the best AF f/2,8 tele lens, full accessories, the works. in the end, she can hardly carry all the gear she bought (which is quite silly if you ask me). point i'm trying to make is that 'one man's meat is another man's poison'. get what suits you and what you need, not necessarily what's the best.
    Whao man....u have really knock some senses in to my mind.....Ya waht u say is right......maybe i should get a prosumer cam like the F707 to start off with...and take some courses to go along with this cam......., at least this cam might be able to last for at least a few years b4 i need to change one again.....also i will have some money left to buy some lenses and acess for it... The DSLR might not be so suitable for a beginner like me......also i might not be able to utilise whats in my hand with my current knowledge....i might as well buy a better DC first ,play with it for a few years then may be i will upgrade to a DSLR..Thanks for your Advise.....i really am grateful to all the members of clubsnap....to give such good advise to a amatuer like me....What a Good Photography Forum is this... Triple For this Forum

have you considered getting a film SLR first? you can probably pick up a decent F90x with handgrip for less than 1k and then slowly build up a collection of good lens which you can later use for a DSLR. there's also some advantages to film which digital still cannot beat... most pro DSLR users i know still keep a good film SLR around.

just another option for you to consider, hope i didn't confuse u further.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12