Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: A QUestion For ......

  1. #1

    Question A QUestion For ......

    Hi Guys......i saw the Review abt the Nikon D100...., so me got a few Question for the Experts or Semi-Pro, Even Pros out there....Is the D100 Worth the Catch....Is it overpriced? Or should i go ahead with the F707...., Is the F707 Quality Comparable to the D100 in terms of Quality Color sharpness battery life....etc..., What Acess Should i Get if i were to buy the D100...

    Finally....if u were me which will u get.....me trying to get in to the field of photography......making it as a Part-time career.....but with a limited Budget....Lets say $4000-$7000

  2. #2
    qhelix
    Guests

    Default

    That's a limited budget? Woah...then my budget would be considered something like spare change! But then again I suppose if you're gonna make this a part time career, that should be more than enough.

    Well, in my opinion the Sony F707 is more for the leisure photographer who's looking for that something extra in his camera while the Nikon is for the more professional person who know's what he's doing.

    If you wanna do some compasrions take a look at http://www.dpreview.com to know more about each camera. That's about all the advice I can give you, although I'm sure there are some who already have these cameras. They can probably give you a better idea on what you'll need.

  3. #3

    Default Re: A QUestion For ......

    Originally posted by keith10w
    Hi Guys......i saw the Review abt the Nikon D100...., so me got a few Question for the Experts or Semi-Pro, Even Pros out there....Is the D100 Worth the Catch....Is it overpriced? Or should i go ahead with the F707...., Is the F707 Quality Comparable to the D100 in terms of Quality Color sharpness battery life....etc..., What Acess Should i Get if i were to buy the D100...

    Finally....if u were me which will u get.....me trying to get in to the field of photography......making it as a Part-time career.....but with a limited Budget....Lets say $4000-$7000
    wha... if i were u, i'll get the D100... it's not overpriced la... if u were to compare D60, D1X or D1H.. u'll find tht D100 is probably the best catch you could get for a high quality professional camera.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default Re: A QUestion For ......

    Originally posted by keith10w
    Hi Guys......i saw the Review abt the Nikon D100...., so me got a few Question for the Experts or Semi-Pro, Even Pros out there....Is the D100 Worth the Catch....Is it overpriced? Or should i go ahead with the F707...., Is the F707 Quality Comparable to the D100 in terms of Quality Color sharpness battery life....etc..., What Acess Should i Get if i were to buy the D100...

    Finally....if u were me which will u get.....me trying to get in to the field of photography......making it as a Part-time career.....but with a limited Budget....Lets say $4000-$7000
    Cannot be directly compared. The F707 is not even an SLR, it's only a prosumer-class digital camera. The D100 is a semi-pro DSLR. So it's unfair to compare them directly, though both are about 5 megapixels.

    Do remember the D100 does not come with a lens, so you might want to factor in the cost of a reasonably good one. $4000-7000 can get the D100 with a couple of lenses.

    Personally, if I have $7000, I'll go for a D1X since I already have Nikkor lenses.

    Regards
    CK

  5. #5
    Trevor_Tan
    Guests

    Default Re: Re: A QUestion For ......

    Originally posted by ckiang


    Cannot be directly compared. The F707 is not even an SLR, it's only a prosumer-class digital camera. The D100 is a semi-pro DSLR. So it's unfair to compare them directly, though both are about 5 megapixels.

    Do remember the D100 does not come with a lens, so you might want to factor in the cost of a reasonably good one. $4000-7000 can get the D100 with a couple of lenses.

    Personally, if I have $7000, I'll go for a D1X since I already have Nikkor lenses.

    Regards
    CK
    Err sorry I'm a dummy in this, and I know CK always had a reason when he gave a suggestion but why go for D1X since D100 have better Resolution (more megapixels)?
    Is it the same theory as in F100 or F90 against F80, as in better performance?
    One last very stupid question: What are the stuffs/functions available in D1X that is not in D100?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default Re: Re: Re: A QUestion For ......

    Originally posted by Trevor_Tan


    Err sorry I'm a dummy in this, and I know CK always had a reason when he gave a suggestion but why go for D1X since D100 have better Resolution (more megapixels)?
    Is it the same theory as in F100 or F90 against F80, as in better performance?
    One last very stupid question: What are the stuffs/functions available in D1X that is not in D100?
    Well, we all know that it's not just the resolution that counts in the final image. While the D100 is newer, and has slightly higher resolution, if one really have $7000 to spend on a body alone, it's a better buy. It's also a more rugged, pro body like the F100 that I am currently using. I'd be equally happy with both though.

    Of coz, if you are spending $7000 for a system with lens, then go for the D100, and spend the rest on lenses, etc. From specs and the initial batch of images now posted on various sites, it appears to be a rather capable camera.

    Regards
    CK

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan/ Los Angeles, California. U.S.A.
    Posts
    422

    Default

    Remember, if you are going to go digital, you need to figure in greater "first time" support costs: Photoshop, maybe a new PC or more memory, storage devices, a good inkjet that can print larger than A4, etc.... And you also need to plan on reinvesting the same amount every 5 years or so...new SLR, new PC, new standard storage medium, etc...

    Don't assume that what you have right now is suffecient. Look into it first.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Re: Re: Re: A QUestion For ......

    Originally posted by ckiang


    Well, we all know that it's not just the resolution that counts in the final image. While the D100 is newer, and has slightly higher resolution, if one really have $7000 to spend on a body alone, it's a better buy. It's also a more rugged, pro body like the F100 that I am currently using. I'd be equally happy with both though.

    Of coz, if you are spending $7000 for a system with lens, then go for the D100, and spend the rest on lenses, etc. From specs and the initial batch of images now posted on various sites, it appears to be a rather capable camera.

    Regards
    CK
    cK...U SOUND PRO.....WHY NO I EMAIL U THE THINGS(IN wORD DOCU) I WANNA BUY FOR MY PT CAREER...U MIGHT BE ABLE TO GIVE ME SOME GOOD ADVICE...... .....BY THE WAY U CAN ALSO GIVE ME SOME ADV ON WHAT NIKON LENS I SHOULD WATCH OUT FOR(ME GOING MORE ON LANDSCAPES..PORTRIAT AND MACRO SHOTS NIGHT SHOTS)...AND THE ROUGH PRICE OF THE LENS....

  9. #9

    Default Re: Re: A QUestion For ......

    Originally posted by ckiang


    Cannot be directly compared. The F707 is not even an SLR, it's only a prosumer-class digital camera. The D100 is a semi-pro DSLR. So it's unfair to compare them directly, though both are about 5 megapixels.

    Do remember the D100 does not come with a lens, so you might want to factor in the cost of a reasonably good one. $4000-7000 can get the D100 with a couple of lenses.

    Personally, if I have $7000, I'll go for a D1X since I already have Nikkor lenses.

    Regards
    CK
    but ck...i have notice the pics D100 produce is slightly underexpose....dark places in the pics appears darker...almost not visible....but the clarity and sharpness is top notch compared to the non DSLR F707....the pics of D100 appears to have less noise.......which is why i compared D100 and F707...

  10. #10

    Default Re: Re: Re: A QUestion For ......

    Originally posted by Trevor_Tan

    Err sorry I'm a dummy in this, and I know CK always had a reason when he gave a suggestion but why go for D1X since D100 have better Resolution (more megapixels)?
    Is it the same theory as in F100 or F90 against F80, as in better performance?
    One last very stupid question: What are the stuffs/functions available in D1X that is not in D100?
    Comparing specifications on paper again, aren't we? Time to learn that cameras aren't like computers: You can't make judgements on paper alone. This goes out to everyone reading this, not just Trevor here.

    1. Focusing speed. D100 is based on the F80, it'll use the slower MultiCAM 900 module, the D1 series are based on the F5's and F100's MultiCAM 1300.
    2. Better build, the D1s can survive a fair beating, try that with a D100.
    3. A heavier body does help in handholding.
    4. Shutter lag and mirror blackout time is reduced.
    5. Built in PC Sync socket for connecting to studio strobes.
    6. Higher flash sync speeds.
    7. Greater flexibility for those who need it.
    8. For the D1H, 5fps for 40 frames, 3fps for 9 frames for the D1X. D1 is 4.5 fps at dunno how many frames. D100 is going to be like 2.5 fps for 6-8 frames.

    There's more, I'm sure..

    And keith, please, no all caps.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A QUestion For ......

    Originally posted by keith10w


    cK...U SOUND PRO.....WHY NO I EMAIL U THE THINGS(IN wORD DOCU) I WANNA BUY FOR MY PT CAREER...U MIGHT BE ABLE TO GIVE ME SOME GOOD ADVICE...... .....BY THE WAY U CAN ALSO GIVE ME SOME ADV ON WHAT NIKON LENS I SHOULD WATCH OUT FOR(ME GOING MORE ON LANDSCAPES..PORTRIAT AND MACRO SHOTS NIGHT SHOTS)...AND THE ROUGH PRICE OF THE LENS....
    Firstly, dont write in all caps, coz that's equivalent to shouting.

    I am not a pro, by the way. Photography just so happens to be my hobby. As to what lens, it all depends on what you really want to do - a lens to do all those you mentioned, or a more specialized lens for each.

    Regards
    CK

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default Re: Re: Re: A QUestion For ......

    Originally posted by keith10w


    but ck...i have notice the pics D100 produce is slightly underexpose....dark places in the pics appears darker...almost not visible....but the clarity and sharpness is top notch compared to the non DSLR F707....the pics of D100 appears to have less noise.......which is why i compared D100 and F707...
    Sharpness and clarity - but of coz. Paired with a good Nikkor lens (or other capable lens), it will blow any prosumer digital cameras flat.

    Slight underexposure for digital cameras might be a good thing, you avoid burning out highlights, while at the same time allow you to 'pull out' shadow details later.

    Regards
    CK

  13. #13

    Default Re: Re: Re: Re: A QUestion For ......

    Originally posted by YSLee


    Comparing specifications on paper again, aren't we? Time to learn that cameras aren't like computers: You can't make judgements on paper alone. This goes out to everyone reading this, not just Trevor here.

    1. Focusing speed. D100 is based on the F80, it'll use the slower MultiCAM 900 module, the D1 series are based on the F5's and F100's MultiCAM 1300.
    2. Better build, the D1s can survive a fair beating, try that with a D100.
    3. A heavier body does help in handholding.
    4. Shutter lag and mirror blackout time is reduced.
    5. Built in PC Sync socket for connecting to studio strobes.
    6. Higher flash sync speeds.
    7. Greater flexibility for those who need it.
    8. For the D1H, 5fps for 40 frames, 3fps for 9 frames for the D1X. D1 is 4.5 fps at dunno how many frames. D100 is going to be like 2.5 fps for 6-8 frames.

    There's more, I'm sure..

    And keith, please, no all caps.
    Opps.....sorry for the cap parts...... What's your advice for me Ysl....if u were me what will u choose F707 or D100...., i am comparing coz i saw the pros of D100 on the sample pictures in all those previews.....and saw the cons of it as well....that's whi i am not too sure if i spend is worth it....i am not bother abt whether the D100 is a DSLR or not , or the F707 is a DSLR.....i am more concern abt the quality.....coz the pics of D100 seems to be under exposed.....not like the F707 which has clear and vibrant color.....althought the sharpness, clarity and contrast and noise level seems to be better then F707....So i must make sure that the price which i pay for is well spent....not spending a few xtra thousand of $$ just to get that little bit of improvement sacrificing other essential factors...like brightness........all i am concern will be the overall quality of waht a DC will gimmie.....not whether it is nikon or sony....or DSLR/NON-DSLR

  14. #14

    Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A QUestion For ......

    Originally posted by ckiang


    Firstly, dont write in all caps, coz that's equivalent to shouting.

    I am not a pro, by the way. Photography just so happens to be my hobby. As to what lens, it all depends on what you really want to do - a lens to do all those you mentioned, or a more specialized lens for each.

    Regards
    CK
    Opps.... i did not know that i am shouting..... my apologize.......me tends to like lenses with individual speciality.....not all those 3 in 1 kopi.....

  15. #15

    Default Re: Re: Re: Re: A QUestion For ......

    Originally posted by ckiang


    Sharpness and clarity - but of coz. Paired with a good Nikkor lens (or other capable lens), it will blow any prosumer digital cameras flat.

    Slight underexposure for digital cameras might be a good thing, you avoid burning out highlights, while at the same time allow you to 'pull out' shadow details later.

    Regards
    CK
    Oooo ...now i am starting to get a point or two.....sorrie to ask allt his q....but i am a amature which is very keen on learning DC photo Taking..... so what's the price of the Lens....is nikon lens expensive ...compared to other lenses....what's the price range like....for a better lens(me Nikon idiot.....hope u dun mind).....me trying to get into the dark side...

  16. #16

    Default Re: Re: Re: Re: A QUestion For ......

    Originally posted by ckiang


    Sharpness and clarity - but of coz. Paired with a good Nikkor lens (or other capable lens), it will blow any prosumer digital cameras flat.

    Slight underexposure for digital cameras might be a good thing, you avoid burning out highlights, while at the same time allow you to 'pull out' shadow details later.

    Regards
    CK
    So what type of nikkor lenses should i get? any recomendations?? and what r the price of it? me intend to get lens with individual speciality...me will be more on Landscape....portriat....night shots...and macro...and also a flash will be good......

  17. #17

    Default Re: Re: Re: Re: A QUestion For ......

    Originally posted by YSLee


    Comparing specifications on paper again, aren't we? Time to learn that cameras aren't like computers: You can't make judgements on paper alone. This goes out to everyone reading this, not just Trevor here.

    1. Focusing speed. D100 is based on the F80, it'll use the slower MultiCAM 900 module, the D1 series are based on the F5's and F100's MultiCAM 1300.
    2. Better build, the D1s can survive a fair beating, try that with a D100.
    3. A heavier body does help in handholding.
    4. Shutter lag and mirror blackout time is reduced.
    5. Built in PC Sync socket for connecting to studio strobes.
    6. Higher flash sync speeds.
    7. Greater flexibility for those who need it.
    8. For the D1H, 5fps for 40 frames, 3fps for 9 frames for the D1X. D1 is 4.5 fps at dunno how many frames. D100 is going to be like 2.5 fps for 6-8 frames.

    There's more, I'm sure..

    And keith, please, no all caps.

    By the way i am also intending to get a Dye Sub printer(sony sv77), is it advisable.....glad if i can hear some opinion....

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A QUestion For ......

    Originally posted by keith10w

    Oooo ...now i am starting to get a point or two.....sorrie to ask allt his q....but i am a amature which is very keen on learning DC photo Taking..... so what's the price of the Lens....is nikon lens expensive ...compared to other lenses....what's the price range like....for a better lens(me Nikon idiot.....hope u dun mind).....me trying to get into the dark side...
    Original lenses (Nikkor included) always tend to be more expensive than the 3rd party ones (like Sigma). Price ranges from about $160 for a 50mm f/1.8 to more than $10K for the supertelephotos. (e.g. 400mm f/2.8)


    So what type of nikkor lenses should i get? any recomendations?? and what r the price of it? me intend to get lens with individual speciality...me will be more on Landscape....portriat....night shots...and macro...and also a flash will be good......
    For your landscapes, consider the Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D. This costs around $550 or so I think. If you want something wider, the 20mm f/2.8D is the one to get. I suggest the 24mm if you are a newbie, as lenses which are too wide are not easy to use.

    For portraiture/macro purposes, get the Micro-Nikkor AF 105mm f/2.8D. It's primarily a macro lens, but the focal length of 105mm makes it a good portrait lens as well. Costs under $1000.

    For flash, if you can afford it, get the SB80DX. Costs around $550. Can be used on Digital SLRs. If cost is an issue, get the lower powered SB50DX (dunno how much).

    By the way i am also intending to get a Dye Sub printer(sony sv77), is it advisable.....glad if i can hear some opinion....
    Get a good inkjet printer, like the Epson Stylus Photo 810, which costs under $300. Dyesubs have very expensive consumables, and you can't use it to print normal stuff like documents.

    Regards
    CK

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,464

    Default Re: A QUestion For ......

    Originally posted by keith10w
    Hi Guys......i saw the Review abt the Nikon D100...., so me got a few Question for the Experts or Semi-Pro, Even Pros out there....Is the D100 Worth the Catch....Is it overpriced? Or should i go ahead with the F707...., Is the F707 Quality Comparable to the D100 in terms of Quality Color sharpness battery life....etc..., What Acess Should i Get if i were to buy the D100...

    Finally....if u were me which will u get.....me trying to get in to the field of photography......making it as a Part-time career.....but with a limited Budget....Lets say $4000-$7000
    if u dunno the difference between a F707 and a D100, then perhaps it's a bit too early to talk about the part-time career thingy.....

    anyway, for the difference between a consumer digicam and a DSLR.....read this...

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...&threadid=7367
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

  20. #20

    Default Re: Re: A QUestion For ......

    Originally posted by Red Dawn


    if u dunno the difference between a F707 and a D100, then perhaps it's a bit too early to talk about the part-time career thingy.....

    anyway, for the difference between a consumer digicam and a DSLR.....read this...

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...&threadid=7367

    Ya ....its til early....but what i am trying to is to get in to the path of learning D photography....then in to my pt carreer.....not straight in to that field.... ......and thanks alot for your link....i did learn alot from there....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •