View Poll Results: Which rechargeables are better?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • GP

17 16.04%
  • Sanyo

63 59.43%
  • Sony

17 16.04%
  • other

9 8.49%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which rechargeables? Sony? GP? Sanyo?

how much does the sanyo refresh with the 2300maH batteries cost?

I believe its $49 for the charger + 4x2300mAh batts

Quote Originally Posted by jumbocrab
    Well, you just have to do more research and dig for more answers. For example:

http://www.gpbatteries.com.hk/html/pdf/u-smart.pdf

The manual clearly states all the features. I'm not in any way related to GP Batteries. Just that I have found them to be very transparent in their equipment specifications and functions.

You got to do the same and try to research for other brands you are interested in.

I am not against GP. Some independent website tested the batteries from many manufactuerer and they found that GP overated their batteries. That is their 2000mAh actually perform like a 1800mAh compared to other brand like Sanyo and Maha which performed as specified.

That's the reason lao jiao in CS and elsewhere buy Sanyo.

the moral of the story is don't trust what the website tells you.

For charger, Maha MH-C401FS is one of the better one.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug
    I am not against GP. Some independent website tested the batteries from many manufactuerer and they found that GP overated their batteries. That is their 2000mAh actually perform like a 1800mAh compared to other brand like Sanyo and Maha which performed as specified.

That's the reason lao jiao in CS and elsewhere buy Sanyo.

the moral of the story is don't trust what the website tells you.

For charger, Maha MH-C401FS is one of the better one.
    Yep, the GP 2000 battery performed worse than the Sanyo 1850 and Energizer 1850.

Used powercell and quite good. Never tried sanyo, maybe must try.

after doing the research & a bit of legwork, i concluded:

best for high-end use: sanyo refresh + 4AA 2300 $48 (w3cube)
    cheapest quick charger: GP rapid + 4AA 1600 $37 (funan: south asia)
    best for low-end use: GP powerbank + 8AA 1300 $20 (funan: harvey norman)

i found the high-end sony & GP more expensive than the sanyo for equivalent products (though maybe they have different bells&whistles)

Quote Originally Posted by d7t3
    after doing the research & a bit of legwork, i concluded:

best for high-end use: sanyo refresh + 4AA 2300 $48 (w3cube)
    cheapest quick charger: GP rapid + 4AA 1600 $37 (funan: south asia)
    best for low-end use: GP powerbank + 8AA 1300 $20 (funan: harvey norman)

i found the high-end sony & GP more expensive than the sanyo for equivalent products (though maybe they have different bells&whistles)
    If Sony is cheap, then its not a Sony
    Almost everywhere you go, you'll see GP. They got strong marketing strategy and presence, so they can charge more for their newer products i guess.

The Sanyo 2100s are very good as well. (I've a pair) Can't really tell the difference between the 2300s and 2100s.

i like my sanyo 2300... got a extra 4pcs from comex @ $16.00.
    I also use the sanyo refresh charger.. GOOD stuff... batteries last me very very long....

Nowadays also got 2450mAH (GP, but listed as 2500) and Panasonic 2400.

Quote Originally Posted by Souphamster
    i like my sanyo 2300... got a extra 4pcs from comex @ $16.00.
    but at w cube it's $15... seems like comex was a bit ex?

Quote Originally Posted by d7t3
    but at w cube it's $15... seems like comex was a bit ex?
    During their summer sale, it's $13! Comex was

I use GP half-an-hour charger with sanyo 2300mha batteries.

I use only my Panasonic 2100mAH batts now. Charge them with the charger that came with the GP 1800mAh I bought last time but that I felt wasn't worth the money at all. Very satisfied with my Panasonics but I need new batts and seeing so many offers for Sanyo, will probably go get 2 sets of 4.

I've used GP, Sanyo and Sony. Of the three, Sony was the worst. I got a bunch of Sony 2100's and after three months, they would discharge much faster than my 2-yr old GP 1800's. I've recently (past 1yr or so) been using Sanyo 2300's and they have been very reliable so far.

Quote Originally Posted by johnyu
    A bit OT. Can someone confirm this:

With my Sanyo 2100 and 2300, I have the impression that high the capacity, faster the batteries will lose its charge when left not use after fully charged.
    Yes i have 12 pcs sanyo 2300mah. Their charge retention is problematic. The charger I use is the older one without refresh function. When freshly charged, they work great.

BUT, when i leave them for 1-2 weeks after a charge, and then i test the charge on them, the charger indicates yellow, meaning not full capacity, best to recharge.

In more noticeable terms, with a flash (SB-800) the recycle time increases by 1-2 seconds. Although i didn't do a proper test on flash recycle time, I did do a test to see if it was the humidity was a factor that causes my batteries to discharge. I placed all those batteries in a VACUUM. Tested each week 1 pc of battery using my charger.

Result: NO difference!!! my charger still indicates yellow after 1 week. Flash recycle time -> i did not try. (My expectation: the indicator should show green after 1 - 2 weeks in vacuum.)

I believe Sykestang also had the same problem with Sanyo batteries, he GAVE them away.

Conclusion: High mah rating is good for your long lasting usage RIGHT after a charge. But when it comes to picking up your digicam / flash and using it after 2 weeks of non-usage, I believe you will feel frustrated when you see the camera going "low battery"

I believe the next brand to get is energizer. I am waiting for Energizer 2300mah. anybody saw this in shops already?

Compared to my p&s digicam battery (sony f707 with NP-FM50 battery), i leave the camera for 1 month, and later when i need to use it, the battery works fine.

Compared to my CD burner (Apacer disc steno CP200 with GP Li-ion battery pack 1800mah 7.4V, comparable to NP-F550) I charge and leave for 1-2 weeks, the same problem like the sanyo appears. This time the battery technology is Li-ion! Wah also same problem. But what to do? A NP-F550 cannot be accepted into the device (not without some modding to the battery compartment).

Another conclusion: when it comes to Li-ion battery, also must look for branded one (or user tested and approved) i guess.

Question: when are AA sized rechargeable Lithium-ion batteries coming out? I want high charge capacity and long storage AT PEAK power level, not nominal.

Every battery losses its charge after some time. The rate of loss is dependent more on the make of the battery rather than determine by capacity. I cant be sure about Lion batts but for Nicds and Nimhs, they work this way. Therefore, it is always best to store some charge in the battery before keeping it. Also, make sure u do not close loop batteries for a long time.

Also, slowly charging(trickle charging) the batts can cause the batts to last longer on a single charge, but the battery will have a lower discharge rate(meaning flash will take longer time to recycle, maybe even less powerful).

i'm using Sony's 2500mAH rechargeables. love 'em. $49.90 for the 4xAA set.

I've had a Sony 2100 die on me after 1 month of usage (unable to charge) !! Not sure if the rest (11 left) will last. My GPs and Sanyos still going strong.....

Quote Originally Posted by eawtan
    I've had a Sony 2100 die on me after 1 month of usage (unable to charge) !! Not sure if the rest (11 left) will last. My GPs and Sanyos still going strong.....
    I once had a sanyo die on me. I gave it a few whacks and drop it onto the floor a few times (Bout 50cm high) and it became ALIVE It works for me, so maybe it will work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    I once had a sanyo die on me. I gave it a few whacks and drop it onto the floor a few times (Bout 50cm high) and it became ALIVE It works for me, so maybe it will work for you.
    Cool, i didn't know dropping at height makes the batteries to be alive again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast