Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 120

Thread: Dog Meat sold in Sg? (source: HWZ)

  1. #1

    Default Dog Meat sold in Sg? (source: HWZ)


  2. #2
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Dog Meat sold in Sg? (source: HWZ)

    Quote Originally Posted by Picory0 View Post
    how is it sick? i eat chicken and fish. dun see a problem...

  3. #3
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    The climate in Singapore not suitable for dog meat leh.. Nose bleed. LOL
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  4. #4

    Default Re: Dog Meat sold in Sg? (source: HWZ)

    Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    The climate in Singapore not suitable for dog meat leh.. Nose bleed. LOL
    Fear not for nose bleed, just consume some cooling tea to balance your system.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Dog Meat sold in Sg? (source: HWZ)

    people argue that it's not right because dogs are "man's best friend".. that we keep them as pets.

    American rights groups say that it's barbaric. but for chinese people it's considered a delicacy. well.... ancestral chinese did eat dogs' meat as well..

    but i'll take a stand. dogs are not meant for the menu in a restaurant. and in singapore it's illegal. because the SPCA said so. and i believe it's so.

    when you kill a chicken or duck or fish, you don't see any expression (unlike in the disney cartoons). however, dogs can mimic human emotions. and they have this ability to look sad or happy. and when you kill them.. they whimper in pain and you can see the expression. how the chinamen in the trade kill the dogs is downright brutal. that's why many countries abhor it.

  6. #6
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Dog Meat sold in Sg? (source: HWZ)

    Last edited by catchlights; 8th May 2011 at 11:52 PM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  7. #7

    Default Re: Dog Meat sold in Sg? (source: HWZ)

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    people argue that it's not right because dogs are "man's best friend".. that we keep them as pets.

    American rights groups say that it's barbaric. but for chinese people it's considered a delicacy. well.... ancestral chinese did eat dogs' meat as well..

    but i'll take a stand. dogs are not meant for the menu in a restaurant. and in singapore it's illegal. because the SPCA said so. and i believe it's so.

    when you kill a chicken or duck or fish, you don't see any expression (unlike in the disney cartoons). however, dogs can mimic human emotions. and they have this ability to look sad or happy. and when you kill them.. they whimper in pain and you can see the expression. how the chinamen in the trade kill the dogs is downright brutal. that's why many countries abhor it.

    To simply put it,

    Dogs, cats etc.. = Pets

    Chicken, fish, cow(beef) = Livestock

  8. #8
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: Dog Meat sold in Sg? (source: HWZ)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz View Post
    To simply put it,

    Dogs, cats etc.. = Pets

    Chicken, fish, cow(beef) = Livestock

    Some people keep Pot-bellied Pigs and miniature Chickens as Pets too.... should I stop eating pork and chicken now ??

    While I agree that certain animals should stay off the dinner table... which incl Shark Fins... using the classification of PETS and LIVESTOCK is just too simple. Should dogs be now allow to be eaten as food just because we are breeding them like livestock... and they do that in CHINA.

    Personally... I've eaten dog once in Manado, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. Local consider it a very normal dish. As it is very rude to reject my host's hospitality... I did try some. Very spicy and tough...

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  9. #9
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309

    when you kill a chicken or duck or fish, you don't see any expression (unlike in the disney cartoons). however, dogs can mimic human emotions. and they have this ability to look sad or happy. and when you kill them.. they whimper in pain and you can see the expression. how the chinamen in the trade kill the dogs is downright brutal. that's why many countries abhor it.
    If you have reared cows before, you will know that they have a lot of expressions too. And if you say you are going to kill or sell them in front of them, they will cry the night before it happens. When slaughtering them, they will cry and shed tears as well. Will you stop eating beef?

    Have you seen pigs being slaughtered? The shrieks and the crying. And pigs, if kept as pets are as clean as dogs. Pigs are also highly intelligent and can do tricks just like dogs. Pigs can even do things dogs can't, like locating truffles buried deep in the ground. Will you stop eating pork?

    Swan (鹅) are also very intelligent animals. They can differentiate between owners and strangers and will not hesitate to snap at strangers entering their territory. But owners and their families are dear to them. They also harbor grudges too if you are fierce to them. They also eat a lot and 5 swans will eat the equivalent amount of food to a full sized pig. Swans will also cry the night before you slaughter them. Will you stop eating roasted swan 烧鹅?

    Have you played with cows before? Or deer? Or swans? Or pigs? Or chicken?Bro, before making sweeping statements like the one you made above, you need to think them through. By your logic, you pretty much need to stop eating almost all meats available in the market now.

    If you want to make a case against eating dog meat, do so in a way that you do not put down other animals that you have no personal experience with.

    If you really want to put forth the image that you care about living things and their emotions so much that you will not eat their meat, go vegan.

    And btw, have you seen how farms in America treat cows and pigs? How American farms treat chickens and ducks? Bro, you need to be educated. Head over to PETA.org. Don't be so naive in thinking that only people like Chinese are brutal when slaughtering dogs. People are the same all over the world.

    In the end it is about culture. What others do in another culture as a norm may look 'cruel' or 'wrong' to you. That is simply due to culture shock. That doesn't mean it is immoral or wrong. In singapore, selling of dog meat is illegal, so that is purely a legal thing. That the sale of dog meat is illegal in Singapore. Doesn't make it evil or immoral.

    To force our own beliefs, values and norms on other cultures, we will only force those cultures to disappear. Is that what we want? This issue is not as simple as it is. And I am not saying if it is right or wrong. To think so, would be ignoring the bigger picture, and being naive and ignorant to the complexities of life.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 9th May 2011 at 10:04 AM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Dog Meat sold in Sg? (source: HWZ)

    Old People will tell you eat dog meat and you will be haunted by dogs in ur whole live dog see you chase u like mad but not sure if its true anot
    Canon 5D mk III,Canon f2.8 L USM,Canon 24-70 f2.8 L USM

  11. #11
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DjSnap
    Old People will tell you eat dog meat and you will be haunted by dogs in ur whole live dog see you chase u like mad but not sure if its true anot
    Well, in my travels I have eaten dog meat unknowingly and drank dog meat soup.

    I still love dogs and those dogs still love me.

  12. #12

    Default

    Well. It's my personal stand on the sale of dog meat. The way my family has been raised to be cat and dog lovers. I'm saying it's not right because of my personal beliefs. For others you might feel differently. But that's your own stand

  13. #13
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309
    Well. It's my personal stand on the sale of dog meat. The way my family has been raised to be cat and dog lovers. I'm saying it's not right because of my personal beliefs. For others you might feel differently. But that's your own stand
    I respect your stand. But please do not put down other animals when you make your stand.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Dog Meat sold in Sg? (source: HWZ)

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I respect your stand. But please do not put down other animals when you make your stand.
    that's the same reason a lot of people are giving for the ban of dog meat sales.

    and it's call ethical dilemmas. considering a dog/cat for pets means a no-no to eating. but neglecting the fact that other animals are treated the same way. it happens.

  15. #15
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default Re: Dog Meat sold in Sg? (source: HWZ)

    could be a wrong translation?

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79
    could be a wrong translation?
    But the Chinese words also says dog meat

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,616

    Default Re: Dog Meat sold in Sg? (source: HWZ)

    Could be a spelling error on menu 'Braised Dog meat' maybe should spell as 'Braised Hog meat' ?
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

  18. #18
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309

    that's the same reason a lot of people are giving for the ban of dog meat sales.

    and it's call ethical dilemmas. considering a dog/cat for pets means a no-no to eating. but neglecting the fact that other animals are treated the same way. it happens.
    Well the world is like that. Making excuses and reason as it goes along. Selecting what to promote as right and wrong. While saying "too bad" to the ones that fall as dilemmas.

    Much like our wonderful govt. It happens.

    How convenient.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 9th May 2011 at 11:35 AM.

  19. #19
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: Dog Meat sold in Sg? (source: HWZ)

    The case against consuming of dog's flesh should be base on the wider availability of more common meat like chicken, beef, mutton, pork… etc. Our grandparents came from a time where most form of meat is scarce and expensive. Eating dogs, rats and even cats is but a way to get 'cheap' protein. With our current lifestyle… most of us will die from too much protein instead of the lack of it… therefore eating meats from animals that most would considered as pets is totally unnecessary.

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  20. #20
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: Dog Meat sold in Sg? (source: HWZ)

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Well the world is like that. Making excuses and reason as it goes along. Much like our wonderful government.

    Much like the Government that still have the support of the silent majority… lets keep Politics out of this discussion.

    Scuba & Father... For Life

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •