Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6

Default Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6

Hi!

Anyone knows which shop still have this lens in stock?

I called quite a few but they'll have to order it thus I have no fixed date as to when it'll arrive.

Thanks!

Default Re: Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6

This lens the sharpness & resolution not very good one... colours also not nice... do reconsider. I had one before, though not Pentax mount.
    From Pentax to 4/3, back to Pentax and then back to M4/3 !?!?

So is there any alternative to this lens? similar price range too.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx_sti_22b View Post
    This lens the sharpness & resolution not very good one... colours also not nice... do reconsider. I had one before, though not Pentax mount.
    Ermmm ... Don't think so wor . As what I know wk(nightmare86) is using this lens wor . Review for this lens was also quite good . I had try brian copy b4. To me the sharpness is decent and colour is good also . Perhaps u got a bad copy ?
    My Flickr ->Flickr

Could be. After it was recalibrate by the agent, only slightly better.
    From Pentax to 4/3, back to Pentax and then back to M4/3 !?!?

This lens is nothing short of stunning.
    the only thing is that u'll need is to have it calibrated as most of the copies out there are out of focus...

Well, after reading much reviews and lookin thru the forums I can see that the sigma 10-20 is still recommended.
    However, since it's so hard to acquire one now, i might just settle for a Tamron 10-24 ..

and from a lot of reviews, the tamron seems to be the worst UWA choice among all

Oceanpriest is selling his Sigma http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...-f-4-5.6-EX-DC

and yeah I think the collective opinion is that the Tamron is probably the lowest amongst the UWAs based on most user & reviewers feedbacks...
    Photos are like jokes. If you have to explain it, it probably ainít that good. My Flickr

you can try out DA 12-24

There's also a sigm 10-20/3.5

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CCIQ8wIwAQ#

Think it's more expensive than the 4-5.6 though...

How do you know if the sigma 10-20 is OOF? is there a way to test? my copy feels like it isn't as sharp but maybe i'm expecting too much.. i am looking at my tripod mounted shots though...

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GSiGuy
    How do you know if the sigma 10-20 is OOF? is there a way to test? my copy feels like it isn't as sharp but maybe i'm expecting too much.. i am looking at my tripod mounted shots though...
    This lens is sharper from f/8-f/16.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    This lens is sharper from f/8-f/16.
    most of my landscape shots were taken at that range. and mostly f16. it's hard to tell if the long exposures had been affected as i noticed that most of them were taken when the tripod was positioned on wooden walkways. those tend to attract some vibration even in the best of circumstances, i.e. when no one walking nearby... so there could be other factors. i therefore conclude that the best way might be the test suggested by bro dnaxe... need to find time to do the test though.

but not one of my shots can come close to razor tack poke-your-eye-out sharp as supersimon's on his 8-16... its most likely down to his skill... envy...
    Last edited by GSiGuy; 11th May 2011 at 08:32 PM.

Have you tried SLR R?
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

Just shoot a simple text print like a newspaper and check. If its not sharp, its not sharp , that is what I do to check (don't know how to give an empherical value via text). Try live view as well. If live view is sharp, then its a focus issue between camera and lens. Send down to Sigma (lens) /Emjay (camera) for calibration.

Quote Originally Posted by GSiGuy View Post
    most of my landscape shots were taken at that range. and mostly f16. it's hard to tell if the long exposures had been affected as i noticed that most of them were taken when the tripod was positioned on wooden walkways. those tend to attract some vibration even in the best of circumstances, i.e. when no one walking nearby... so there could be other factors. i therefore conclude that the best way might be the test suggested by bro dnaxe... need to find time to do the test though.

but not one of my shots can come close to razor tack poke-your-eye-out sharp as supersimon's on his 8-16... its most likely down to his skill... envy...
    Proper sharpening also contributes to this, I suspect, though the 8-16 probably does outperform the 10-20 f/4-5.6, being a newer lens.

Please do not forget that the 8-16 cannot use filters as well, I would deem filter usage as being an advantage instead of marginal sharpness.

Are you using a timer + Mirror Lock Up technique?

Quote Originally Posted by GSiGuy View Post

not just equipment and skill. have to ask Simon what's his PP workflow as well - RAW files needs to be processed properly to bring out the true character of the pic.

direct JPEG output or RAW that had not been processed will definitely not look as good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast