View Poll Results: Will you take photos of beggars and handicapped people?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I will take their photos!

13 31.71%
  • Yes, but I will take their photos from a distance without them knowing.

17 41.46%
  • No, I think they are already in a sorry state and it will cause further embarassment to them.

11 26.83%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it right?

[QUOTE=nickmak].

I decided to use my camera to document them because I want people, especially the people higher up (ie. Government) to take a look at what is really happening around the country. Apparently the government here is on cloud 9 and I am personally disgusted by that. If you go back to my posting, I have stated my intentions to why I wanted to put the pictures here. I wanted comments to help me get the better shot.

QUOTE]

Do you think your government already knows what's happening with these street people? If so, how are pictures of them gonna convince them into any radical actions? If not, what are you waiting for? Send to your nearest government social agency and ask them to provide social care for these people.
    Why are you worried about the technicalities of such subjects as clearly your reason for taking them is to awake the authorities. Perhaps your portfolio here then is to create awareness of what's happening in BK and thus maybe it would be wiser to present them as a photo essay.
    Forget about the lighting and exposure, for once. Or contrast or colour rendition or abberation or focal length choices.
    Last edited by LimCB; 28th August 2004 at 05:25 PM.

i feel the options in this poll seems to tell me icer has already reached a certain decision.

[QUOTE=LimCB]
    Quote Originally Posted by nickmak

I decided to use my camera to document them because I want people, especially the people higher up (ie. Government) to take a look at what is really happening around the country. Apparently the government here is on cloud 9 and I am personally disgusted by that. If you go back to my posting, I have stated my intentions to why I wanted to put the pictures here. I wanted comments to help me get the better shot.

QUOTE]

Do you think your government already knows what's happening with these street people? If so, how are pictures of them gonna convince them into any radical actions? If not, what are you waiting for? Send to your nearest government social agency and ask them to provide social care for these people.
    Why are you worried about the technicalities of such subjects as clearly your reason for taking them is to awake the authorities. Perhaps your portfolio here then is to create awareness of what's happening in BK and thus maybe it would be wiser to present them as a photo essay.
    Forget about the lighting and exposure, for once. Or contrast or colour rendition or abberation or focal length choices.
    LimCB, not MY government, how'd nice if it really was MY government. I'm still S'porean.

The people up there know what is happening. Are they doing anything? Ans: NOPE!

If so, what are they doing? Ans: GETTING RICHER!

If its like that, then the poor? Ans: GETTING POORER!

I'm sorry to say this LimCB, but it really seems that you really need to live here to really understand the extent of the condition here. I believe most people here have been to bangkok before. Most have probably seen these street-people. What do some people do? They avoid them at all costs. And honestly, you seem to be verbally trying to avoid these street people. I'm sorry to say but your verbal argument does not turn me over one bit at all.

Techicalities: That's my problem. I'd want to improve it definitely. If I can learn more, I know I can use the extra skills to make a more powerful picture. Of course right now you would say 'Leave technicalities aside.' Anybody remember Steve McCurry's picture of the Afghan girl? One of the most facisnating photos ever in my view. If he did not have the technical knowledge of exposure etc., National Geographic would already be employing monkeys with cameras to do these documentries.

As for providing a photo essay, this one I have to agree with you hands down. I had made that mistake in that thread and one mistake is enough for me. I won't make that mistake again.

Hope you understand my point of view.
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

Quote Originally Posted by acetylcholine
    i feel the options in this poll seems to tell me icer has already reached a certain decision.
    Hey, seriously when I posted that question, I had no idea what I will do also. I had taken such photos before but I sort of feel bad as well. Therefore, I posted this poll.

And the answer already told me that different people have different views as the results of the 3 options are still quite equal so I dun think I had created a bias poll. And why should I skewed the answer to one side/option? What good will it do to me? I dun have to answer to anyone for my actions right?

Anyway, I chose option 2 which I think is still a dilemma sometimes coz it might be difficult to ensure no embarassment is created.

Quote Originally Posted by nickmak
    LimCB, not MY government, how'd nice if it really was MY government. I'm still S'porean.

The people up there know what is happening. Are they doing anything? Ans: NOPE!

If so, what are they doing? Ans: GETTING RICHER!

If its like that, then the poor? Ans: GETTING POORER!

I'm sorry to say this LimCB, but it really seems that you really need to live here to really understand the extent of the condition here. I believe most people here have been to bangkok before. Most have probably seen these street-people. What do some people do? They avoid them at all costs. And honestly, you seem to be verbally trying to avoid these street people. I'm sorry to say but your verbal argument does not turn me over one bit at all.

Techicalities: That's my problem. I'd want to improve it definitely. If I can learn more, I know I can use the extra skills to make a more powerful picture. Of course right now you would say 'Leave technicalities aside.' Anybody remember Steve McCurry's picture of the Afghan girl? One of the most facisnating photos ever in my view. If he did not have the technical knowledge of exposure etc., National Geographic would already be employing monkeys with cameras to do these documentries.

As for providing a photo essay, this one I have to agree with you hands down. I had made that mistake in that thread and one mistake is enough for me. I won't make that mistake again.

Hope you understand my point of view.
    Go read my last post again and try to understand it first. It's not about aesthetic, it's about what you do with your pictures with your intentions already laid out by you.
    Nevermind. Good luck to your future endevour.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12