Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34

Thread: Which to buy? Canon EF 75-300mm USM or Canon EFS 55-250mm IS?

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lcheowl

    to me 50mmf1.8 is an essential lens for beginner.

    in fact, once you are indoor, you will find most of the time you will be using this sub $100 lens.
    When indoors, a flash is more useful. The 50mm f1.8 is a pretty tight lens to use indoor. I also don't feel that it's essential for beginner shooters

  2. #22

    Default Re: Which to buy? Canon EF 75-300mm USM or Canon EFS 55-250mm IS?

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    I find myself using the 18-55 more often...cos not much space to stand indoor (I dun really like 1/2 body shots...)
    But the DOF for a 18-55mm is too depth, you just can't create a nice bokeh indoor to make the object stand out, plus indoor usually have poor lightning.

  3. #23
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Which to buy? Canon EF 75-300mm USM or Canon EFS 55-250mm IS?

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    When indoors, a flash is more useful. The 50mm f1.8 is a pretty tight lens to use indoor. I also don't feel that it's essential for beginner shooters
    I still personally feel that 50 f1.8 is still nice to play as the dof is so thin and can make some nice bokeh.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  4. #24

    Default Re: Which to buy? Canon EF 75-300mm USM or Canon EFS 55-250mm IS?

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    When indoors, a flash is more useful. The 50mm f1.8 is a pretty tight lens to use indoor. I also don't feel that it's essential for beginner shooters
    that is my opinion only, due to the shallow DOF, a beginner shooter do not have the know how skill to create that using a standard lens.

    And it is usually the bokeh effect that make the photo look so difference with the p&s cam.

  5. #25
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Which to buy? Canon EF 75-300mm USM or Canon EFS 55-250mm IS?

    Quote Originally Posted by lcheowl View Post
    But the DOF for a 18-55mm is too depth, you just can't create a nice bokeh indoor to make the object stand out, plus indoor usually have poor lightning.
    50mm indoors is just too tight for my personal preference...So i'll have to either settle with 18-55 or an lens upgrade or just use the flash.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike

    I still personally feel that 50 f1.8 is still nice to play as the dof is so thin and can make some nice bokeh.
    Quote Originally Posted by lcheowl

    that is my opinion only, due to the shallow DOF, a beginner shooter do not have the know how skill to create that using a standard lens.

    And it is usually the bokeh effect that make the photo look so difference with the p&s cam.
    Haha yes I do agree that its a fun lens to play around with but essential or not is another matter

  7. #27

    Default Re: Which to buy? Canon EF 75-300mm USM or Canon EFS 55-250mm IS?

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    I still personally feel that 50 f1.8 is still nice to play as the dof is so thin and can make some nice bokeh.
    furthermore, it is one of the cheapest and sharper lens.

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike

    I don't think you know why you want to get this lens yet. Don't let the BBB control you (*not before you understand why you need it*)

    Any lens is good for portrait taking (as in all lens can take portraits). It depends on how you utilize the lens in the given environment. (you can even take portraits with 55-250 :P, depends on how you frame it)

    One can use the kit lens 18-55 and still shoot marvelous portraits with it.

    oh, btw, 18-55 + 55-250 is quite a solid combo itself enough to cover "general" photography from wide to portraits to tele.

    *don't be too fast to discard the 18-55 if you own one, despite what many may say(e.g. abt the IQ, non USM), I still think it's a great lens*
    Correct! So far so good... I find their combination is quite excellent for a beginner like me. All I need to do is practice, practice practice. ))

  9. #29
    Member willdoang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    east, near dakota MRT
    Posts
    1,550

    Default Re: Which to buy? Canon EF 75-300mm USM or Canon EFS 55-250mm IS?

    aiyo, 50 f1.8 already very cheap also need to think, just buy la if u want to try it out, if later no need can sell with only S$20-30 max loss...
    i buy i sell i use, repeat, such are the vicious endless cycle of GAS

  10. #30
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Which to buy? Canon EF 75-300mm USM or Canon EFS 55-250mm IS?

    Quote Originally Posted by willdoang View Post
    aiyo, 50 f1.8 already very cheap also need to think, just buy la if u want to try it out, if later no need can sell with only S$20-30 max loss...
    I never liked to cultivate the BBB virus...but well, diff pple diff opinions.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  11. #31

    Default

    Errr....wats bbb huh?

  12. #32
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Which to buy? Canon EF 75-300mm USM or Canon EFS 55-250mm IS?

    BBB = Buy Buy Buy

    It's a contagious virus. People who get catch this virus is generally separated into a few groups.

    - Group of people who blame their hardware (lens) for the imperfection of the image.
    - A group that is simply addicted to the better image qualities the "L" gives, It's said that once you start using "L", you will be addicted to get all "L" lens.
    - Just buy for the sake of buying. Cash rich if you ask me...


    Refer to this thread for one case of severe BBB Virus.
    Last edited by SkyStrike; 10th May 2011 at 09:22 PM.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  13. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike
    BBB = Buy Buy Buy

    It's a contagious virus. People who get catch this virus is generally separated into a few groups.

    - Group of people who blame their hardware (lens) for the imperfection of the image.
    - A group that is simply addicted to the better image qualities the "L" gives, It's said that once you start using "L", you will be addicted to get all "L" lens.
    - Just buy for the sake of buying. Cash rich if you ask me...

    Refer to this thread for one case of severe BBB Virus.
    Wah...I tot ppl usually get poisoned by others...this guy managed to poison all by himself! Haha

  14. #34
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Which to buy? Canon EF 75-300mm USM or Canon EFS 55-250mm IS?

    Quote Originally Posted by deepseablue View Post
    Wah...I tot ppl usually get poisoned by others...this guy managed to poison all by himself! Haha
    Don't be surprise. You may even kena it before you know it...
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •