Thread: Melbourne, Victoria

Default Melbourne, Victoria

Hi All,

I'm going to Melbourne for my holidays this 15May-22May.
    Is there any recommendation of tour buses that any of you have taken to such places:
    1)GOR, Apollo Bay, 12 Apostles
    2)Grampians, Halls Gap
    3)Puffing Billy
    4)Gipsland
    5)Philip Island
    6)Mt Buller

Thanks in advanced.

Default Re: Melbourne, Victoria

Hi Sizzyrir,

From teh list you give I do not think you can cover all these in 07 days with enough time to appreciate and enjoy the places you are visiting. To maximise your stay trip best is to rent a car and self drive. Roads in Australia is excellent and with GPS or a Map you should not get lost as road sign are great and easy to follow.

If I am not wrong item (1) and (2) is on the western side of Melbourne and it takes me about at least 03-04 days to cover it well and back to Melbourne.

Item (3) to (5) is on the eastern side of Melbourne. Again from personal driving experience, (3) and (5) only will take at least 02-03 days if you want to visit the Penguin Parade at Philip Island and the Nobbies. Further driving towards Gipsland will not be enough and it will be a rush.

As for Mount Buller, I have not been there but from stories from friends if you want to do skiing have to give at least 03 days,

Also you must give at least one full day at Melbourne for sight seeing if this is you first time. Again, May is already at the end of Autumn time for travelling will be shorter and you need to start early to maximise daylight hours.

Hopefully the above give you some ideas to plan for you trip.

Brgds.
    KM7D / CZ16-80 / 70-210mm / 300mm 2.8 / 1.4TC / 100mm 2.8 macro

Hi Mariner64,

Thanks for the info and feedback.
    If that's the case i will cancel my plan to philip island n mt buller.

Any idea for car rental do they provide gps as well?

Hi there,

Car Rentals offer GPS with additional fees. You need to know the addresses you wanna go to key into GPS. Ski season only starts in early July so there's no snow up in Mt Buller.

It takes 1/2 day to head to Philip Island by car. It's worth heading there to watch the Penguin Parade. Note the penguins return to shore at sunset so make your way to Philip Island by about 12pm.

If you into photography (which Im sure you are) , dont forget to hit the streets of Melbourne. Awesome views and cafes.

hmms thanks for the info dandoodle.
    i'm kinda in a dilemma on which to give a miss.
    i'm still unable to decided to drive or not as ill be the only driver.

.....hurry up

there are now only seven apostles
    and they also will slowly disappaer into the ocean

Melbourne is a beautiful city, maybe you stay
    two full days in the city.

Rental car hire if possible at Tullamarine Airport, is cheap and good.
    Of course with GPS and unlimited kilometers.

Another tip, the weather in Melbourne can be very moody,
    in 24 hours you can experience all four seasons

If you have enough time, drive with the car to
    Ballarat "Sovereign Hill" (appr. 100 kilometers from MLB)
    and go dig for GOLD

I wish you a good time in down under
    Last edited by Poseidon88; 5th May 2011 at 12:38 AM.

try AUTOPIA tours. can book at Federation Square with Best of Australia. not sure if they have online bookings. u can try to google.

reasonably priced tours for backpackers/tourists. i booked with AUTOPIA 2 yrs back and was quite satisfied with their service..

for GOR, the journey to/fro is like 2-3hrs each way..oh can try helicopter tour if budget allows..

for ur timeline to go Mt Buller might be alittle tight as mentioned u need ard 3 days..unless u are willing to forego some of those attractions u mentioned..

i wanted to go mt buller back then..but didnt have the time to plan for it..

hope the info helps! have fun

hey can I suggest that you include Mornington Peninsula as well? You can set off by car from Melbourne and end at the peak of Arthur's seat. The route is super scenic with the beach and sea on your right. And the drive up the peak of Arthur's Seat is really beautiful as well .... there's a cafe at the top of the peak that serves good fillet mignon ... its just 2-3 hrs drive from Melbourne ... when I was there, I went there twice ... the road up the peak is fantastic .... and the view feels like heaven!

Ski season at Mt Buller usually starts in the mid-June till early Sep, though the peak of the snow will be in July and August.. most of the time, there will be plenty of snow good enough for snowboarding and sightseeing in early June.

i would suggest the following:

1. 2 days in city (great cafes, check out the alleyways)
    2. 1 day at philip island
    3. 1 day at great ocean rd
    4. 1 day to ballarat (gold mine)
    5. 1 day mornington peninsula

get more tourist info at the melbourne airport, federation square in city or bourke st in the city, btw, weather's getting colder

thanks all for your kind tips/suggestions.
    i will keep planning hopefully by the weekend i can have a firm decision on how and where to go .

Minus May 15 and May 22, you effectively have 6 days. I did a road trip in Victoria last year for 14 days, covering Yarra Valley and Dandenongs, Great Ocean Road, Grampians and back Melbourne. Thread of pics here -> http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...Road-Trip-2010

For 6 days, it would really depend how fast ur pace would be? I can suggest 2 itineraries for you depending on your pace (and assuming self drive) as follows:

==================================
    Great Ocean Road to Grampians
    Day 1: Collect rental car. Head for Great Ocean Road to Apollo Bay. Visit Split Point Lighthouse, Erskine Falls in Otways, Koalas at Kennett River, Cape Patton, Mariner's Lookout. Overnight Apollo Bay.

Day 2: Apollo Bay walkabout. Get some fresh catch from Fisherman's Co-op Society, visit Hopetoun Falls in Beech Forest, then head on to Gibson Steps and the 12 Apostles Marine National Park for Sunset. Overnight Port Campbell.

Day 3: Port Campbell Pier, visit the Arch, the London Bridge (now London Arch), Bay of Islands, Loch Ard Gorge, Razorback, Muttonbird Island, Thunder Cave. Overnight Port Campbell.

Day 4: From Port Campbell, depart for Dunkeld, southern Grampians. For a shorter itinerary, u can opt to skip staying overnight in dunkeld and head straight to Halls Gap. But a night here would prepare you for a nice drive through Victoria Valley next morning before heading to Mt Williams for a 2 hour trek to the peak of Mt williams for some nice breathtaking views. I would say if time is on your side, stay in Dunkeld, lay back relax for the afternoon and evening here, enjoy the views of Mt Sturgeon, Mt Picaninny and Mt Abrupt. Overnight Dunkeld.

Day 5: From Dunkeld, drive down Victoria Valley to Mt Williams for a trek up to the peak, enjoy the views then head back and drive to Brambuk Cultural Centre. Have a nice lunch here and walkabout. Check in accomodation in Halls Gap and drive to MacKenzies Falls. Drive on to Reeds Lookout and the Balconies (can give it a miss for this two) before going to Boroka Lookout for sunset. Overnight Halls Gap.

Day 6: From Halls Gap, you can drive to Ballarat and stay overnight there which I think possible can give it a miss and go straight back to Melbourne.
    ==================================
    Yarra Valley and the Dandenongs + Mornington Peninsula
    This would probably be a 4 nights depending on the extense of coverage you want. This itinerary would be a good getaway coupled with another visit down Phillip Island and the Mornington Peninsula. If you are a wine person like I am, you can visit tons of wineries and wine tasting around the Yarra region and Mornington Peninsula (which I skipped as i decided to drive down GOC to Grampians). The Dandenongs are great for the forests and gardens in Olinda are not to be missed. Philip Island for penguin watching is another attraction.

In conclusion, you are on holiday and pace should be nice and comfortable. Relaxed most important so to do both itineraries in 8 days is definitely impossible. So depending on your preferences, are you looking for beautiful seascapes and the great outdoors like Otways, definitely have to visit the Otways and the Great Ocean Road. If you are looking for more relaxed itinerary where food and dining are priority, go for the second itinerary.

All above are just personal opinions and itineraries created based on personal preferences. If interested, I can send you the itineraries I did last year.

Thanks so much KuanToh, may i know what lenses do you use for your road trip?

Quote Originally Posted by shizzyrir View Post
    Thanks so much KuanToh, may i know what lenses do you use for your road trip?
    16-35mm and 85mm. Btw, replied your PM.

Thanks ones again