Thread: Teeth grinding Guard, anyone had wear it before?

Default Teeth grinding Guard, anyone had wear it before?

I had teeth grinding problem during night sleep. My dentist had advise me to put on the teeth grinding guard. He told me that my teeth had quite "worn off" and I am quite agreed with him as I can see it too.

The cost of the guard, which is made to measure to fit my denture, cost $250.00. Anyone had also made to measure such guard and how much yours cost? For those who is familiar with these, is the amount the doctor quote me expensive? Are there standard size which can be bought off shelf? Thank you.

Default Re: Teeth grinding Guard, anyone had wear it before?

Quite ex... Usually those clear molds that are made of your teeth (for tooth bleaching, etc) work just as well and cost about $50.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae
    Quite ex... Usually those clear molds that are made of your teeth (for tooth bleaching, etc) work just as well and cost about $50.
    Are those like the martial arts or boxing types?

Quote Originally Posted by colour View Post
    ................The cost of the guard, which is made to measure to fit my denture, cost $250.00.
    If they are full dentures, why not remove your dentures when you go to bed? Then you have no teeth to grind when you are asleep.
    Even if they are partial dentures, you should remove them when you go to bed & why must your dentist have to make the guard just for the dentures if you have other teeth?
    If they are partial dentures, why not get the sports mouth guard? & sleep without the denture/s.
    Take the shot!

can try mouth guard from sport shops.. i got one from nike.. you "bake" it in microwave and put it in the mouth and it will be quite fitting..
    iirc, it cost $25.. one-tenth of that one you were told..
    - troubled undergrad -
    Olympus XA/Canon QL17 GIII flickr

Bro, i also have this problem when i'm very stressed and had consulted my dentist before. The guard you mentioned is made to measure and is customised to your teeth to ensure it holds firm during sleep. This is important cos...if the off the shelf guard you purchase falls off during your sleep....it could possibly choke you...I was quoted around $200-$250 per set by my dentist.

I haven't made mine yet because i dun have this issue on a nightly basis but i would recommend that you spend the money and get yours done since your condition sounds bad from your description.

Why do ppl grind their teeth during sleep? What caused that to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by chillicutter View Post
    Why do ppl grind their teeth during sleep? What caused that to happen?
    day stress carry over to sleep , cannot let go ............
    therefore grind,

If your situation is so bad and getting worse, the grinding during night sleep, I suggest you better get those customised guard by the dentist. No doubt it costs a lot more but the comfort is much better than the ones sold commercially which may not fit your mouth and gum size. Moreover, if you are going to wear it long term, pay for the more comfortable customised ones.

I used to wear them when I was a teen but have to let go cos find it hard to sleep. Now married my wife never heard me grind teeth anymore.