Thread: [Panorama] Qi Xing Shan

Default [Panorama] Qi Xing Shan

Taken at the peak of Qi Xing Shan (Taipei).
    Nikon D700, Tamron 28-75 f2.8, Rodenstock UV + CPL attached.
    Manual setting - f11 1/160s, handheld panorama.

Cloudless day, harsh daylight. But even so, the sight of this alone is breathtaking...

All c&c welcomed - exposure, composition, etc... especially need pointers on stitching, even with manual settings you can still see the stitch if your eyes are sharp...
    Visit my photo blog : X-Light Photography | FB

Default Re: [Panorama] Qi Xing Shan

Nice blues bro. I love the scene!

you might like to do yourself a favour by writing a proper write-up for critique.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...-for-critique.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Sun flar on the right ... very glaring to look at the picture for too long. using CS5 to stitch? every try hugit? can clearly see the stitching point on the picture like what u meantion. I would shot in portrait and then stitch them togther. At least i got to have more forground or more sky.

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    you might like to do yourself a favour by writing a proper write-up for critique.
    Indeed, I should have been more specific.

Composition - No profound thoughts to the composition when I was taking the photo. Just one of the moments where you are sucked into the scenery and want to capture and show the majesty.
    But I did take the photo and post-process it with the thought of "it will make one nice panorama with sort of a wuxia feel to it".

I have one after-thought on this one though : should I have included the people in? The main subject is supposed to be the landscape after all. But plain old mountains alone is boring. Any tips on composing a panorama? Applying rule of thirds and golden ratio work for panorama as well? Or only apply on the left/right most piece?

Aperture - Is f11 enough depth of field? Or should I have pushed it to f14 and beyond?

Quote Originally Posted by derrickder View Post
    Nice blues bro. I love the scene!
    Thanks, a good CPL did the magic.

Quote Originally Posted by peterpan1975 View Post
    Sun flar on the right ... very glaring to look at the picture for too long. using CS5 to stitch? every try hugit? can clearly see the stitching point on the picture like what u meantion. I would shot in portrait and then stitch them togther. At least i got to have more forground or more sky.
    Sadly, the Tamron is extremely prone to flare and vignetting... it's a budget lens compared to Nikon 24-70 after all...

Yes, painfully "hand stitched" with CS5. Had too many people moving around in the frame and could not automate stitching. It is a composite of 6 photos in portrait.
    Last edited by wxzhuo; 13th May 2011 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wxzhuo View Post
    Composition - No profound thoughts to the composition when I was taking the photo. Just one of the moments where you are sucked into the scenery and want to capture and show the majesty.
    But I did take the photo and post-process it with the thought of "it will make one nice panorama with sort of a wuxia feel to it".

I have one after-thought on this one though : should I have included the people in? The main subject is supposed to be the landscape after all. But plain old mountains alone is boring. Any tips on composing a panorama? Applying rule of thirds and golden ratio work for panorama as well? Or only apply on the left/right most piece?

Aperture - Is f11 enough depth of field? Or should I have pushed it to f14 and beyond?
    I can understand why you stitch for large fov. The breath taking view of "wideness" of the scenery. Overall, it is a nice pano photo to have and helps to keep your memories of the place "fresh". I do this too for my travel photographs.

with this said...

A common "problem" I see with such pano photo is that the person who created it, just want to create a photo as wide as possible with little regard for the overall composition of the photo. There is a lack of leading lines, pattern, interesting subject(s), etc etc for the wondering eye to focus on.

f11 should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    I can understand why you stitch for large fov. The breath taking view of "wideness" of the scenery. Overall, it is a nice pano photo to have and helps to keep your memories of the place "fresh". I do this too for my travel photographs.

with this said...

A common "problem" I see with such pano photo is that the person who created it, just want to create a photo as wide as possible with little regard for the overall composition of the photo. There is a lack of leading lines, pattern, interesting subject(s), etc etc for the wondering eye to focus on.

f11 should be fine.
    Indeed... you can say that the critical flaw is that is a snapshot rather than a composed shot - there's no story behind it, except personal memories.

Either way, I don't think I have enough juice left to compose a good shot after climbing 1.6km with full-battle-order, inhaling sulfur and getting sun-burnt.

Quote Originally Posted by wxzhuo View Post
    Indeed... you can say that the critical flaw is that is a snapshot rather than a composed shot - there's no story behind it, except personal memories.

Either way, I don't think I have enough juice left to compose a good shot after climbing 1.6km with full-battle-order, inhaling sulfur and getting sun-burnt.
    For a manual stitch, this is pretty well done.

err.... you can go get yourself fitter and put on sunblock next time.
    You need the extra bit of juice to move around to find a good spot.

A bit of homework before the trip like which direction you are facing and what is the best time (other than twilight) to get there so that the sun is behind you. And look at all photos you can find on the internet for references for a good spot there.

guy on right has missing legs from the stitching?

Blog Entries

I thought that there is just too much of the uninteresting sky and not enough of the landscape in this pic.