Thread: do i realli need an external flash?

Default do i realli need an external flash?

I owned a samsung nx11 and i do indoor and outdoor shooting. The built in flash range of nx11 is 11m, so is it good enough to cover most of the shoot??

Default Re: do i realli need an external flash?

My guts feel: should be.

11m is probably the flash Guide No, not it's range. Typically built-in flashes are used on subjects 2-3m away, depending on specific conditions.

"Indoor and outdoor shooting" doesn't narrow your needs down at all - it covers every type of shooting scenario imaginable, doesn't it?

Getting an external flash isn't just about getting more power and range, but also being able to control the quality of light (e.g. bouncing, using modifiers). If you're shooting leisurely snapshots, this wouldn't matter much.
    Going from a built-in flash to an external unit is like going from a compact to a DSLR -- it opens up a whole new world of possibilities. Search around online for tutorials on using flash

tks for the advice.

does the external flash helps on sunny day shooting? or jus use for shooting in dim or dark?

sorry for asking so much questions as i very new in shooting.

It works on both scenarios

Sunny Day
    e.g. If your subject is standing against the sun, your camera will probably be seeing your subject's face pitch black, so you use the flash to brighten the face up

Dim/Dark - Self explanatory I hope (to light up the room/area). The effectiveness of the flash at night also depends on how strong your flash is against how far your subject is standing. So don't attempt to use flash to brighten up night landscapes as most probably it will be close to black. I've seen people taking landscapes of CBD with flash on (hope it was by mistake it was fired).

If you are taking a picture with your family against a nice scenery, when flash is fired, unless the background scenery is VERY bright, else, I can say that the background will be just some "stars" at best
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

How about you go out shooting with your DSLR more and see if you really need one? You're new, so it's gonna be quite hard coping with both a new DSLR and a new flash style. It's like wow! I never knew flash had such details.

I think you just use your camera more and if you see the need to get an external flash by all means get it. Don't need to get now if you are unsure as it might just end up gathering dust at home.

tks for all the advice.

i'll go out for more shooting to see if it is realli a need to get an external flash.

Quote Originally Posted by ygw0707
    tks for all the advice.

i'll go out for more shooting to see if it is realli a need to get an external flash.
    And if you think you need one, you can always choose to loan one first to see if you REALLY need it. Maybe you think you need one, but actually you don't? Loaning can be quite cheap sometimes too, at least for a day

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ygw0707 View Post
    tks for all the advice.

External flash is very useful in many situations. Sooner or later you will most probably need one. Once you learn how to use flash properly, you cannot live without one (or more).

the keyword is OFFSHOE. no matter how good your built-in flash is, its direct and small for outdoor even with a modifier which will produce harsh light.
    Nikon D700| 70-200mm f/2.8G VR2| 28-70mm f/2.8D| 85mm f/1.8G| 50mm f/1.8G| SB900/SB28| MB-D10

Taken from Nissin Flash website.

http://youtu.be/146ZOujldrc

http://youtu.be/knHiJ3TO2BQ

Hope this will make ur decision easier.