Thread: What CF card should I buy?

Default What CF card should I buy?

I'm just about to purchase a Canon A95, and plan to get a 512Mb card to go with it - was wondering if anyone could recommend a brand of CompactFlash (CF) card to buy?

I usually use a cardreader (USB2) when transferring images from my camera@home, and also have a Nixvue portable storage solution.

Would I get any benifit from the faster CF cards? (eg: SanDisk Extreme/Ultra II or Lexar Pro WA series), or would I just be wasting my $$?

From eastgear.com: (512Mb CF cards)
    Kingston $119
    Hagiwara $139
    SanDisk $159
    Lexar Pro WA (40x) $199
    Sandisk Extreme $229
    SanDisk Ultra II $249

if you are using A95
    go for the cheapest will do ....
    save your money
    size is more important than speed
    cos p&s camera is slow anyway even you put the fastest CF card in it will not become faster ...

If you're talking about transfer times from card to PC, then sure, getting a regular speed card and a 80x Lexar or Ultra II/Extreme Sandisk will make a lot of difference.

But, as Latmo has pointed out, your camera is unlikely to make use of the faster speed when writing the images to the card, and this is your main bottleneck. Bottom line is, if you can afford it, and want the faster card speed, then go for it, otherwise I think a regular card will do.

PS> Check out COMEX, there are pretty attractive prices for 512MB cards on now

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76
    Check out COMEX, there are pretty attractive prices for 512MB cards on now
    yeah. i've been waiting to check out COMEX before buying my CF card. hopefully got good deals there!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76
    IPS> Check out COMEX, there are pretty attractive prices for 512MB cards on now
    Yeah, I was looking forward to that. Pretty good deals too, managed to get myself a Sandisk Extreme 512 for only $145. =D

using a faster CF card on the camera won't see a significant amount of difference but transferring to the computer will make a difference. i currently own a 1gb sandisk extreme and still have my transcend 24x 256mb card. they sure do have a big difference when transferring the images to my pc