Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: White Tiger

  1. #1
    Member tortise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Commonwealth
    Posts
    771

    Default White Tiger


    I took this at the Zoo late last year. Wanted a nice shot of this iconic cat but it was pacing around restlessly and only could fire off some shots when it paused to look up at the crowd.

    I was initially gunning for a full body photo (took quite a few of them) but they all did not work out and i realised that the background and other parts of the tiger are distracting. Thus i cropped a landscape photo into portrait to just show the head and part of the forelimbs.

    I thought that the main focus should be on the tiger's head, on its eyes and its snarl, so i added a little blur to the perimeter/edges of the photo to reduce their significance in the photo.

    Appreciate comments on whether this crop and treatment works for you, or would you have still taken a full body shot, or at least with the full front legs?
    Slow...yeah, steady... not really
    My Flickr | APAD2010

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Chestnut
    Posts
    3,173

    Default Re: White Tiger

    Technically fine, but does not bring out the majestic presence of the animal...try taking a series of shots and observe the behavior of the subject, you might get a better shot of it like when it opens its mouth wide.....

  3. #3

    Default Re: White Tiger

    I think this shot is quite nicely done. Eyes are sharp, nice bokeh, haggard looking expression....
    Just not too sure about capturing a haggard looking tiger.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

  4. #4
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: White Tiger

    Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    I think this shot is quite nicely done. Eyes are sharp, nice bokeh, haggard looking expression....
    Just not too sure about capturing a haggard looking tiger.
    maybe tiger had a hard day? they near extinction. so must put in a lot of hard work... not surprised if so haggard ~~

  5. #5
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: White Tiger

    jokes aside, watch out for the lighting. i think its because of the way it was shot, (high noon i assume?) where a lot of shadows fall over the eyes, giving it the sianned look.

    I might be wrong though...

  6. #6
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,628
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: White Tiger

    Lights look fine to me.

    I think the tiger just looks frustrated.

    Tigers are meant to be free roaming. Not caged up.

  7. #7
    Member tortise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Commonwealth
    Posts
    771

    Default Re: White Tiger

    Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    I think this shot is quite nicely done. Eyes are sharp, nice bokeh, haggard looking expression....
    Just not too sure about capturing a haggard looking tiger.
    Thanks for your comments coolthought! I did not think about the animal's expression, was too caught up in trying to get a shot. Noted your point on the subject's expression, definitely not something to do for a tiger lady.
    Slow...yeah, steady... not really
    My Flickr | APAD2010

  8. #8
    Member tortise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Commonwealth
    Posts
    771

    Default Re: White Tiger

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    jokes aside, watch out for the lighting. i think its because of the way it was shot, (high noon i assume?) where a lot of shadows fall over the eyes, giving it the sianned look.

    I might be wrong though...
    Thanks allenleonhart! You're right about the timing, it was around noon. and yes our poor tiger was quite sian. will try to watch out for shadows in other instances during harsh lighting conditions.
    Slow...yeah, steady... not really
    My Flickr | APAD2010

  9. #9
    Member tortise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Commonwealth
    Posts
    771

    Default Re: White Tiger

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Lights look fine to me.

    I think the tiger just looks frustrated.

    Tigers are meant to be free roaming. Not caged up.
    Thanks daredevil123! sigh, i guess you're right, animals in captivity are less fortunate than those in the wild, and here i am trying to capture its majesty when the conditions are not right...
    Slow...yeah, steady... not really
    My Flickr | APAD2010

  10. #10
    Member tortise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Commonwealth
    Posts
    771

    Default Re: White Tiger

    Quote Originally Posted by Danntbt View Post
    Technically fine, but does not bring out the majestic presence of the animal...try taking a series of shots and observe the behavior of the subject, you might get a better shot of it like when it opens its mouth wide.....
    Thanks Danntbt for the comments on how to observe the subject and getting a better shot. I followed your advice on another cat and managed to catch it... as you said, "with its mouth wide open"... it was really the best of the series of shots i took of this cat!

    Slow...yeah, steady... not really
    My Flickr | APAD2010

  11. #11

    Default Re: White Tiger

    Quote Originally Posted by tortise View Post
    Thanks Danntbt for the comments on how to observe the subject and getting a better shot. I followed your advice on another cat and managed to catch it... as you said, "with its mouth wide open"... it was really the best of the series of shots i took of this cat!

    Nice, sharp teeth and tongue

  12. #12

    Default Re: White Tiger

    Quote Originally Posted by tortise View Post
    Thanks Danntbt for the comments on how to observe the subject and getting a better shot. I followed your advice on another cat and managed to catch it... as you said, "with its mouth wide open"... it was really the best of the series of shots i took of this cat!

    I love this! Makes you scared!!! LOL!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •