Thread: Travelling with DSLR in Europe

Default Travelling with DSLR in Europe

How safe is it to carry your dslr around your neck in Europe, specifically Rome, Italy, Spain, or Paris?

I've heard quite a lot of scary stories about the pickpockets in Europe, so I want to hear some of your experience/advice on protecting your gear in Europe. I recently brought a lowepro compudaypack backpack, but now I'm scared that backpacks might not be very safe option.

Also, did you feel safe carrying the dslr around your neck. Cause I would hate to miss those picture taking moments just cause I have to constantly hide my camera from the prying eyes.

Default Re: DSLR in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by ayy2leun View Post
    How safe is it to carry your dslr around your neck in Europe, specifically Rome, Italy, Spain, or Paris?

I've heard quite a lot of scary stories about the pickpockets in Europe, so I want to hear some of your experience/advice on protecting your gear in Europe. I recently brought a lowepro compudaypack backpack, but now I'm scared that backpacks might not be very safe option.

Also, did you feel safe carrying the dslr around your neck. Cause I would hate to miss those picture taking moments just cause I have to constantly hide my camera from the prying eyes.
    I think the main threat to your camera in Europe is theft, and not robbery. I was in Italy late last year, and had my camera slung around my neck most of the time. I never felt threatened in any way, and lots of tourists there do the same too. I agree that putting the camera in a backpack leaves it at a much higher risk of getting stolen.

put in your backpack and carry it at the front? I was thinking if lugging a dslr around is like telling ppl that you are a potential target.

We will always hear lots of scary stories... but how many stories do we hear where everything went well? How many millions of tourists return safely back home without any issues? Use common sense, read the tourists guides. Every good guide has a section of DOs and DON'Ts. Keep your gear limited. The more you bring the more you have to carry and to worry.
    Btw: there is an entire section for Travel Photography here. No point opening a thread here. It's not Canon specific.
    EOS

it was fine for me. i was in italy, paris, amsterdam, uk and had my canon dslr with a 17-55mm lens slinged around me most of the time while i was out.

but yes take precaution of pickpockets and don't flash your money.

also take care when night falls. me and my gf didn't like wandering around in the quiet nights especially in foreign lands. didn't give us a good vibe.

Non Canon specific discussion, more on travel related matter.

Thread title edited and moved.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

I went to 9 cites in Europe for 22 days last year with my gripped 550D and 17-55mm f2.8 slung around me and there was no issue at all. Did the same thing in Boston too. Keep your wits with you and be alert always and it should be fine. Be safe and enjoy!!!
    Nikon & Leica

Default Re: Travelling with DSLR in Europe

Coming from Norway, I've been a lot around in Europa. I would not worry about theft at all, think about how to use your camera in a way that makes you remember the trip instead

I'm not saying it's as safe as Singapore, its not. But nowhere is. My best advice; sleep for at least X hours, after you drink X beer, before you enter that scary looking, dark alley with your camera. X >= 6

Enjoy Europa, PM me for tips if you ever drop by Norway!
    http://stenmarkfoto.com <- my homemade fully automatic camera remote, EKKO.

hello sebste, I was in Norway last week during the good friday n ester long weekend. I wanna visit the Geiranger fjord again but the road there was still covered with snow when i was about 30km from the top view of the fjord.

Back to topic..I stay in sweden for 4yrs and travel around with my 400D and 7D. Most of the time i only use a hand strap without a neck strap and start walking around when i travel in most cities i visited. It will be safe if u are more careful. Anyway those ppl tat pick pocket aim for your wallet more then ur camera.

Quote Originally Posted by sebste View Post
    Coming from Norway, I've been a lot around in Europa. I would not worry about theft at all, think about how to use your camera in a way that makes you remember the trip instead

I'm not saying it's as safe as Singapore, its not. But nowhere is. My best advice; sleep for at least X hours, after you drink X beer, before you enter that scary looking, dark alley with your camera. X >= 6

Enjoy Europa, PM me for tips if you ever drop by Norway!
    Canon 7D, 17-55mm f2.8, 70-200mm f4L and EX580

TS, you shouldn't worry too much about carrying and using your DSLR. Use common sense and be aware of your surroundings and most importantly, enjoy your vacation!