Thread: Some question regarding UV filter and things stored in dry cabinet

Default Some question regarding UV filter and things stored in dry cabinet

Hi, I am currently doing my homework before getting my first DSLR.
    After reading info on forums , there is still some doubts I have :

-The UV filter act as a protector for the len then the initial Nikon/Cannon len cap for the lens cannot be used ? Will there be another len cap to fit the filter ?

-What does you guys store inside the drycabinet ? Things like your memory card , cleaning equipment inside as well ? What is most essential are DSLR and lens ? Do you guy store its battery inside too ?

Thx in advance.

Default Re: Some question regarding UV filter and things stored in dry cabinet

The lens cap is able to "catch" to the UV filter.

Dry cabinet will store my camera body, lenses and manuals

I don't take out my battery from the body unless I'm not going to use it for months. Otherwise leaving in it is fine. Same applies to memory cards.

Quote Originally Posted by wmayeo View Post
    The lens cap is able to "catch" to the UV filter.

Dry cabinet will store my camera body, lenses and manuals

I don't take out my battery from the body unless I'm not going to use it for months. Otherwise leaving in it is fine. Same applies to memory cards.
    Orh. Thx bro. Btw then your cleaning equipment ? You store it outside separately ? I heard that dry cabinet will damage rubber. Then things like the air blower should not be kept inside ? Or am I just too kiasi ?

I just dump everything inside. filters, mem cards, blower, manual, battries etc
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by LastChapter View Post
    Orh. Thx bro. Btw then your cleaning equipment ? You store it outside separately ? I heard that dry cabinet will damage rubber. Then things like the air blower should not be kept inside ? Or am I just too kiasi ?
    yes there are many people very kiasi one...

i do not have cleaning equipment except my breath & a piece of micro-fiber cloth that is stuck in my bag. All my consumables are kept separately. Air blower/AA batteries/accessories are kept elsewhere. You need not follow me, you can find your own best method of organising. And i dump my shutter remote and filters in dry cabi.

Blog Entries

It will only damage rubber if it gets too dry... 30% and below RH

Thx guys for your advice.

Hi, I am currently doing my homework before getting my first DSLR.
    After reading info on forums , there is still some doubts I have :

-The UV filter act as a protector for the len then the initial Nikon/Cannon len cap for the lens cannot be used ? Will there be another len cap to fit the filter ?

-What does you guys store inside the drycabinet ? Things like your memory card , cleaning equipment inside as well ? What is most essential are DSLR and lens ? Do you guy store its battery inside too ?

Thx in advance.
    you can use the existing lens cap on your UV filter, unless you have the ultra slim filter, which don't come with front threads, but usually they will supply a lens cap with this type of filter.

the batteries are inside flash, or camera body, battery grip, and all are inside the dry cabinet. another spare set of batteries is keep in my main camera bag.

I store a set of lens tissue, lens pen, and blower in my main camera bag.
    Last edited by catchlights; 30th April 2011 at 09:52 AM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

There is no camera gear that cannot be stored in the dry cabinet. Many people use the dry cabinet as single storage location to have all gear neat and tidy. The only thing to keep in mind are batteries. First, you might forget to charge them and secondly all batteries have a certain self discharge rate. You might end up having empty batteries when you just want to take your camera after some weeks.
    Alkaline batteries (AA or AAA type) will leak sooner or later, especially when empty. If you intend to use them for flash you must not forget them in the dry cabinet. The chemical substances will damage the plastics and electronics. AA and AAA rechargeable batteries are NiMH types, they don't leak. All camera batteries are Lithium Ion types that also do not have any leakages.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    There is no camera gear that cannot be stored in the dry cabinet. Many people use the dry cabinet as single storage location to have all gear neat and tidy. The only thing to keep in mind are batteries. First, you might forget to charge them and secondly all batteries have a certain self discharge rate. You might end up having empty batteries when you just want to take your camera after some weeks.
    Alkaline batteries (AA or AAA type) will leak sooner or later, especially when empty. If you intend to use them for flash you must not forget them in the dry cabinet. The chemical substances will damage the plastics and electronics. AA and AAA rechargeable batteries are NiMH types, they don't leak. All camera batteries are Lithium Ion types that also do not have any leakages.
    yes, get rid of the Alkaline batteries, don't use them on your camera or flash unless it is emergency.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

If I were to store the camera in the dry cabinet for an extended period of time, do I need to separate the lens and camera body or I need not detach them? tx

Quote Originally Posted by Davidwe View Post
    If I were to store the camera in the dry cabinet for an extended period of time, do I need to separate the lens and camera body or I need not detach them? tx
    this is one of the qns i wnana ask too.. lol for now i just put in my camera with lens attach for convienence sake...the lens cap is attach as well..

Quote Originally Posted by Davidwe View Post
    Check your manual, do you find any advice / disclaimer / warning? If not, do whatever you like. No harm keeping them together, no harm storing separated. Don't forget the body cap in case you do the latter.
    EOS