Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48

Thread: Minimum Dress code for Wedding photographers/videographers

  1. #21

    Default Re: Minimum Dress code for Wedding photographers/videographers

    Quote Originally Posted by XsenseX View Post
    If an renown AngMo photographer from U.S is shooting ya morning actual day and he finds it hot, so he decides to wear berms, 99% of people will think he's good and he's cool.
    Haha...depends on (1) couple / guests "ngeowness" and "fashion sense", and (2) whether the PG/VG looks "atas" and so can carry himself well even in fashionable shorts / cool looking tattered jeans. ie Some in the creative field with shaved heads, fancy eyewear sporting a goatee can look ok in fashion-type shorts anda black coloured Ts, a big diamond earring included.

    Just joking.....

  2. #22
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Minimum Dress code for Wedding photographers/videographers

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    I have seen guests in t-shorts and jeans in the wedding reception at Raffles Hotel, where most of the guests were formally dressed. all the t-shirts and jeans appeared to be locals. Oh well.
    well, have ever you see guests bring news paper to read in the wedding dinner??
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  3. #23

    Default Re: Minimum Dress code for Wedding photographers/videographers

    Who doesn't want to wear long sleeves coat and jacket to look cool? But the temperature and humidity in Singapore are very much different to the western countries. PG/VG should wear the clothes which make them comfortable when doing the shooting and should not let the clothes restrict their movement to get the best shots. Most of the time the PG has to climb up and down, squeeze here and there, bend the body and knees with heavy camera gears to get nice angle shots at outdoor and indoor. Unless the PG only takes those "Hi Cheese" shots which just stand in front of the subjects and shoot, then it is more relax. Of coz singlet, broken shirts and short/broken pants are no no.

    I think most importantly the end results(photos/videos) delivered to the clients must be good to excellent. If only given the below choices,

    a) excellent photos/videos but PG/VG wear decent polo+jeans only
    b) decent photos/videos but PG/VG wear formal like a president going to give speech

    which one would you hire?
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

  4. #24

    Default Re: Minimum Dress code for Wedding photographers/videographers

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    well, have ever you see guests bring news paper to read in the wedding dinner??
    I did....really. It was quite some time ago, at that Fu MAn Lou chain at Tessensohn Rd CSC. But as service providers we must not look down at anyone, esp they are the clients aka paymaster and you are charging quite a lot and they never asked for discount. Bottomline - its always the $$$, right? I kena 2 cases, high-end couples, high-end hotels, charged a bit more.....in the end ngeow gar....gave discount to 1 after photo collection also (obviously not my problem, how on earth do you shoot nice photos on a hazy day with 100+ PSI and everyone sure squint eyes, even though I requested T3). Tough man.
    I will not become another Samantha in that Holland V case. Our clients are what we can be and have achieved today.
    Last edited by 2100; 7th May 2011 at 08:46 AM.

  5. #25
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Minimum Dress code for Wedding photographers/videographers

    Quote Originally Posted by 2100 View Post
    I did....really. It was quite some time ago, .........................
    my point is these guest are very rude, bring newspaper to a dinner and reading it, is implying "I come because I have nobody else to attend the dinner on behalf for me, in the matter of fact, I don't enjoy the company with other of your guests, I find the newspaper is more interesting than your wedding. I come because of I very bo pian"

    another sign of such RUDE guests are during table group photos taking, reluctant to cooperate, they DO NOT UNDERSTAND that photo taking is NOT for the photographers, it is the wedding couple and their parents showing respect to the guests, thanking them for cerebrating their wedding together by attending the wedding dinner, the wedding couple and parents wish to take a photo with them for memento.
    is it JUST a simple request asking them to move a little or standing at the second row, not cutting a piece of flesh from their butt, why is that so difficult to comply?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  6. #26

    Default Re: Minimum Dress code for Wedding photographers/videographers

    When shooting wedding, please lah at least carry a Kelly Moore Camera Bag to match the occasion.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Minimum Dress code for Wedding photographers/videographers

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    my point is these guest are very rude, bring newspaper to a dinner and reading it, is implying "I come because I have nobody else to attend the dinner on behalf for me, in the matter of fact, I don't enjoy the company with other of your guests, I find the newspaper is more interesting than your wedding. I come because of I very bo pian"
    That's for the older generation. Nowadays the youngsters and 20-somethings play iPhone and their games, or watch video. Yum seng also play, phototaking also bo chup and continue playing.

    Andriod not so much leh...

    BTW, I did not see this phenomenon in Taiwan (they also have less iphone penetration). My wife's Taipei-nese taokay, when my family and in-laws all there, just whacked them upside down when they even continued to speak on the phone during dinner.....forget about iphone games. What I learnt is that most are pretty "conservative", as in dinner must call out each other to "eat" and greet etc...... Manners + jia jiao.

    Over here, anything goes man.....
    Last edited by 2100; 7th May 2011 at 06:22 PM.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Minimum Dress code for Wedding photographers/videographers

    Guys, I think this is big OT already and I don't see the point of bitching about clients or guest of your clients. This reflect poorly on photographer as well if we start doing this.

    Sometimes, What I feel is, Chinese Wedding, most of the guest that attend simply don't know the couple. It is mostly mom's or dad's friends... who really see no point of attending. Friends of couple and relative, generally make up about 10-20% of the whole banquet, and that makes 80% of people just someone they know.

    In Western part of the world, if you are invited, generally, you are close friends or relative of the couple so everyone seems to know everyone in the room and their reception tend to be "smaller" in size but more intimate.

    When one get invited, you will bring just yourself or partner, not the rest of troops....

    It makes economical sense to invite as many people in this part of the world as I am surprise, there is a "market" rate for the "ang pao".

    I am Asian, but really see no point on having 500 guest but only know 100 of them personally. Our wedding was about 100 people (for both sides of families) and I think most people who come do care so I don't see any of them behaving badly nor dress sloppily.

    Will have to look at things from the other side as well and I don't see the point of people starting to bitch about the guest. After all, the TS mentioned about the photographer's attire... so what is guest has to do with photographer who dress sloppily?

    This is an open forum, you may want to think about what you write.


    Regards,

    Hart

  9. #29

    Default Re: Minimum Dress code for Wedding photographers/videographers

    Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    Guys, I think this is big OT already and I don't see the point of bitching about clients or guest of your clients. This reflect poorly on photographer as well if we start doing this.

    Sometimes, What I feel is, Chinese Wedding, most of the guest that attend simply don't know the couple. It is mostly mom's or dad's friends... who really see no point of attending. Friends of couple and relative, generally make up about 10-20% of the whole banquet, and that makes 80% of people just someone they know.

    In Western part of the world, if you are invited, generally, you are close friends or relative of the couple so everyone seems to know everyone in the room and their reception tend to be "smaller" in size but more intimate.

    When one get invited, you will bring just yourself or partner, not the rest of troops....

    It makes economical sense to invite as many people in this part of the world as I am surprise, there is a "market" rate for the "ang pao".

    I am Asian, but really see no point on having 500 guest but only know 100 of them personally. Our wedding was about 100 people (for both sides of families) and I think most people who come do care so I don't see any of them behaving badly nor dress sloppily.

    Will have to look at things from the other side as well and I don't see the point of people starting to bitch about the guest. After all, the TS mentioned about the photographer's attire... so what is guest has to do with photographer who dress sloppily?

    This is an open forum, you may want to think about what you write.


    Regards,

    Hart
    Agreed.. why care about the guests? we just need to be presentable.. yes, i agree that sometimes, with their attitude, it's hard to get the job done.. but what is important is for us to show respect for the client.. i have seen photogs in my home country dressing up in batik shirts because that is what male guests usually wear.. and i have seen some of them wearing tux, even with bow-tie..

    just treat it as if you are one of the invited guests, but the family have asked you to help them take photos, so dress up like a guest, formally.. some renowned wedding PG from overseas make it a point to bring two sets of tux.. but they do admit that for outdoor shoots, sometimes they loosen up a bit.. but not for ball receptions..
    - troubled undergrad -
    Olympus XA/Canon QL17 GIII flickr

  10. #30

    Default Re: Minimum Dress code for Wedding photographers/videographers

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    my point is these guest are very rude, bring newspaper to a dinner and reading it, is implying "I come because I have nobody else to attend the dinner on behalf for me, in the matter of fact, I don't enjoy the company with other of your guests, I find the newspaper is more interesting than your wedding. I come because of I very bo pian"

    another sign of such RUDE guests are during table group photos taking, reluctant to cooperate, they DO NOT UNDERSTAND that photo taking is NOT for the photographers, it is the wedding couple and their parents showing respect to the guests, thanking them for cerebrating their wedding together by attending the wedding dinner, the wedding couple and parents wish to take a photo with them for memento.
    is it JUST a simple request asking them to move a little or standing at the second row, not cutting a piece of flesh from their butt, why is that so difficult to comply?
    Mr Ben, I know what you mean. After a while I guess we all get immune to such peoples. I remember once my second was getting the table shots one group of LAO HERO uncles just refused to move, cracked sick dirty jokes when asked again, they behaved just like hooligans drinking beer at kopi tiam rather than respected guests in a hotel ballroom. So if they do not move, they get their faces cropped off and the LAO HEROs at front will look bulging fat and the LAO HEROs the far end will look tiny small on a wide angle lens (just law of physics), the main feature of the photo will be the messy table. Usually the wedding couples themselves dont even know these LAO HEROs, they are usually the friends of one of the parent, who probably attend the wedding with complaints of 'Ganna Red Bomb' still must take stupid photo.' attitude.

    So don't be angry.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  11. #31

    Default Re: Minimum Dress code for Wedding photographers/videographers

    Quote Originally Posted by bayusuputra View Post
    just treat it as if you are one of the invited guests, but the family have asked you to help them take photos, so dress up like a guest, formally.. some renowned wedding PG from overseas make it a point to bring two sets of tux.. but they do admit that for outdoor shoots, sometimes they loosen up a bit.. but not for ball receptions..
    Photographers in the past wear suits, whether it was in the west world London 1882 or in the east world Shanghai 1912, it was a well respected occupation. Nowadays hand phone takes pictures and in Singapore the summer land of bermudas t-shirts and slippers, and with photography being such popular hobby, many photographers used to be hobbyists wearing home clothes going out in group outings (no offence, just an example). So the habit carries overall. Nowadays (at least in Singapore) its harder to find people starting out by working as assistants moving things in a studio, to becoming the darkroom guy, to junior photographer after some years, to finally going out on his own the hard way.

    Instant photographer after a visit to Funan Centre but in the excitement forgot to drop by Peninsula Plaza to visit the tailors.
    Last edited by sjackal; 8th May 2011 at 10:35 AM.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  12. #32

    Default Re: Minimum Dress code for Wedding photographers/videographers

    i think for outings and stuff, polo (or a nice Tshirts), decent pair of jeans/bermudas and at least sandals are ok.. but home clothes?

    again, this is regarding wedding photogs in the wedding itself.. i was saying that if you have a job to cover wedding, then be nicely and properly dressed, being the photographer doesn't give you the excuse not to dress/behave properly..

    but there are occasions when the photog can loosen up a bit, for example during garden reception (outdoor) when the guests are loosening up as well..

    some reasons why photogs don't want to dress up is because it's Singapore with its heat.. hello, ballroom got aircon, right?
    at least wear a neatly ironed shirt, business pants, nice pair of leather shoes and if you want, can wear vest.. people will know you are the photog, but you will still respect the occasion..

    even the steel-balled-sometimes-rude Bruce Gilden wears suit to a ball party:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI-xK...eature=related
    - troubled undergrad -
    Olympus XA/Canon QL17 GIII flickr

  13. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    toa payoh
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Minimum Dress code for Wedding photographers/videographers

    i think :
    for top : as long is dark colour or black t- shirt polo t is ok
    for bottom : must be dark colour pants or jeans

    Shorts and flip flop are a no no

  14. #34

    Default Re: Minimum Dress code for Wedding photographers/videographers

    Quote Originally Posted by bayusuputra View Post
    even the steel-balled-sometimes-rude Bruce Gilden wears suit to a ball party:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI-xK...eature=related
    Again, This is showing a evening ballroom event. Locally, its definitely possible to dress like that at dinners. No excuse cause all our dinner ballrooms are air conditioned.

    I think we are discussing on those 9am-3pm outdoor weddings where it's >30degrees. Is long pants and shirts still a minimum?

    This is especially relevant this couple of months. The weather is crazy.

    Anyways, I just shot an ROM today in the noon (outdoors) of around 34degrees + no wind. For a change, i wore shirt and dark jeans instead of my usual polo & berms (for outdoor noon shoots)

    After that i was sweating like a pig and my shirt became transparent & everyone was so concern because my glasses dripped with sweat and i looked like i've dropped into the swimming pool behind the solemnization table. It was uncomfortable and i felt that I might have reduce my usual quality from uneasiness of my dripping sweat.

    The good thing was that everyone was so concern that they stop to give me a break and one aunt went to buy 100plus for me without asking.

    I might try again but maybe with a loose shirt & cargo pants (cause today I wore fitting shirt & fitting jeans).

  15. #35

    Default Re: Minimum Dress code for Wedding photographers/videographers

    Quote Originally Posted by XsenseX View Post
    Again, This is showing a evening ballroom event. Locally, its definitely possible to dress like that at dinners. No excuse cause all our dinner ballrooms are air conditioned.

    I think we are discussing on those 9am-3pm outdoor weddings where it's >30degrees. Is long pants and shirts still a minimum?

    This is especially relevant this couple of months. The weather is crazy.

    Anyways, I just shot an ROM today in the noon (outdoors) of around 34degrees + no wind. For a change, i wore shirt and dark jeans instead of my usual polo & berms (for outdoor noon shoots)

    After that i was sweating like a pig and my shirt became transparent & everyone was so concern because my glasses dripped with sweat and i looked like i've dropped into the swimming pool behind the solemnization table. It was uncomfortable and i felt that I might have reduce my usual quality from uneasiness of my dripping sweat.

    The good thing was that everyone was so concern that they stop to give me a break and one aunt went to buy 100plus for me without asking.

    I might try again but maybe with a loose shirt & cargo pants (cause today I wore fitting shirt & fitting jeans).
    see my earlier post.. did i ever say that tux is a must for outdoor shooting?
    - troubled undergrad -
    Olympus XA/Canon QL17 GIII flickr

  16. #36

    Default Re: Minimum Dress code for Wedding photographers/videographers

    Quote Originally Posted by XsenseX View Post
    Again, This is showing a evening ballroom event. Locally, its definitely possible to dress like that at dinners. No excuse cause all our dinner ballrooms are air conditioned.

    I think we are discussing on those 9am-3pm outdoor weddings where it's >30degrees. Is long pants and shirts still a minimum?

    This is especially relevant this couple of months. The weather is crazy.

    Anyways, I just shot an ROM today in the noon (outdoors) of around 34degrees + no wind. For a change, i wore shirt and dark jeans instead of my usual polo & berms (for outdoor noon shoots)

    After that i was sweating like a pig and my shirt became transparent & everyone was so concern because my glasses dripped with sweat and i looked like i've dropped into the swimming pool behind the solemnization table. It was uncomfortable and i felt that I might have reduce my usual quality from uneasiness of my dripping sweat.

    The good thing was that everyone was so concern that they stop to give me a break and one aunt went to buy 100plus for me without asking.

    I might try again but maybe with a loose shirt & cargo pants (cause today I wore fitting shirt & fitting jeans).
    The whole idea is to look professional and not sloppy at the event. You could try cotton shirt and cotton pants... It's airy and nice to wear, it works for me.

    I would bring a few changes and one key is to minimize the equipment that you carry with you. I generally with shoot with one camera and one lens set up without camera strap and the rest on the rolling case.

    Walk and don't run. Plan your shoot...

    It's hot but manageable.

    Regards,

    Hart

  17. #37

    Default Re: Minimum Dress code for Wedding photographers/videographers

    For me it's a minimum of Polo Tee. Usually jeans as I tend to kneel down and shoot, so for practical reasons, jeans. Boots (don't ask, it's been a habit of mine and I've been wearing it for 5 years plus for almost everything). More formal - Long sleeved shirt, but sleeves folded up. Never worn a tie with it before.

    I usually can judge the dress code when I meet the couple for the first time, isn't too difficult.

    For employees (main photographer, assistants, PA) simple. Company polo-tee and Nikon vest. If too many employees on scene, then company polo-tee only.

    Sounds like the SAF. I'll summarise.
    No. 1 Uniform: Jacket+Long Sleeved+Tie / Dress
    No. 2 Uniform: -NA-
    No. 3 Uniform: Long Sleeved+Nikon Vest
    No. 4 Uniform: Company Polo-Tee+Nikon Vest
    Exceptions: Principal Photographer and Main Photographer wears what he/she wants. When Principal Photographer AND Main Photographer are around, main photographer will conform wear what he/she wants WITH ADDITION OF NIKON VEST.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Minimum Dress code for Wedding photographers/videographers

    wearing shirt and pants is definitely overboard, and definitely would not allow u to shoot at ur max potential, and you definitely wont be able to delivery quality goods.

    just imagine urself slinging 1 x 1series canon+580exii+24-70 and another 1x1series canon+580exii+70-200. then u still need to carry your main photo bag which has all the misc stuffs and especially the spare AA batteries which are very heavy when u are carrying 12spares, in addition to the 8 in two of ur flashes = total 20 AA batteries.

    When u are carrying such loads to shoot a wedding, you are gona sweat totally to the extent that ur whole shirt is transparent. This is ultra total unglam and super ugly. I have covered wedding in shirt and pants WITH TIE!! and slinging 2 cameras, and trust me, its dam uncomfortable and the clothing is totally restricting your movements with such loads.

    wearing a t-shirt and berms with covered shoes should be the proper manner. at least i can be sure to deliver my goods. gatecrashing shoots wearing polo-T and jeans is no joke, its too humid and hot. t-shirt and berms is the offical attire so there is no such thing as not respecting the bride and groom. you are not respecting the clients and not doing ur job if what u are wearing is obstructing u from delivering all that u could!

    Perhaps maybe on the dinner itself, then wear polo and jeans since there is aircon.
    Last edited by devilry; 3rd July 2011 at 04:28 PM.

  19. #39
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: Minimum Dress code for Wedding photographers/videographers

    Quote Originally Posted by devilry View Post
    wearing shirt and pants is definitely overboard, and definitely would not allow u to shoot at ur max potential, and you definitely wont be able to delivery quality goods.
    just imagine urself slinging 1 x 1series canon+580exii+24-70 and another 1x1series canon+580exii+70-200. then u still need to carry your main photo bag which has all the misc stuffs and especially the spare AA batteries which are very heavy when u are carrying 12spares, in addition to the 8 in two of ur flashes = total 20 AA batteries.
    When u are carrying such loads to shoot a wedding, you are gona sweat totally to the extent that ur whole shirt is transparent. This is ultra total unglam and super ugly. I have covered wedding in shirt and pants WITH TIE!! and slinging 2 cameras, and trust me, its dam uncomfortable and the clothing is totally restricting your movements with such loads.
    That's a bit of an excuse to me. You don't have to carry all your gear at every moment, that would really restrict you. Secondly, a white t-shirt under your business shirt helps to keep the sweating stains limited. Even if there is no aircon (outside function) it's not an excuse. Clients pay for the job done, not for personal well-being. That's the prerogative of the guests.
    To me, this discussion about dress code is a bit redundant. In any office job we have to comply to the general dress code of the company which is 'business shirt and pants' when doing customer business face to face. Discussing pros and cons is useless, we present the company and we have to do this in our best way according the contract and company guidelines to get our salary. When working freelance, where is the difference? Why do people think that suddenly they can afford to slack in dress code and attention to their clients when the impact to the payment is even more direct. If a hired photographer would come to my wedding in jeans and t-shirt he can go immediately, either to change or to get lost.
    The waiters in the restaurant serving food and drinks have a far more stressful job and still they wear their uniform, why do photographers need to discuss this point?
    EOS

  20. #40

    Default Re: Minimum Dress code for Wedding photographers/videographers

    Quote Originally Posted by devilry View Post
    wearing shirt and pants is definitely overboard, and definitely would not allow u to shoot at ur max potential, and you definitely wont be able to delivery quality goods.

    just imagine urself slinging 1 x 1series canon+580exii+24-70 and another 1x1series canon+580exii+70-200. then u still need to carry your main photo bag which has all the misc stuffs and especially the spare AA batteries which are very heavy when u are carrying 12spares, in addition to the 8 in two of ur flashes = total 20 AA batteries.

    When u are carrying such loads to shoot a wedding, you are gona sweat totally to the extent that ur whole shirt is transparent. This is ultra total unglam and super ugly. I have covered wedding in shirt and pants WITH TIE!! and slinging 2 cameras, and trust me, its dam uncomfortable and the clothing is totally restricting your movements with such loads.

    wearing a t-shirt and berms with covered shoes should be the proper manner. at least i can be sure to deliver my goods. gatecrashing shoots wearing polo-T and jeans is no joke, its too humid and hot. t-shirt and berms is the offical attire so there is no such thing as not respecting the bride and groom. you are not respecting the clients and not doing ur job if what u are wearing is obstructing u from delivering all that u could!

    Perhaps maybe on the dinner itself, then wear polo and jeans since there is aircon.
    Cannot lah bro, how can wear t-shirt and bermudas? Even for gate crash also cannot lah. I am not the sort that suit up to match black-tie events but I just cannot see myself wearing bermudas for weddings even for gate crashing, bare minimun is polo tee with nice jeans or single color plain BDU pants, because after gate crashing comes the tea ceremony. The key word is Ceremony, which means a formal thing of respect and dignity. Even though it may just be a traditional family affair, uncle bob and cousin xiuling's shots gonna have us in their pics, and it will be all over facebook by evening, probably earlier.

    Also remember, the groom and his buddies might be doing pushups in wedding suit, so where comes the excuse?
    Last edited by sjackal; 4th July 2011 at 01:52 AM.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •