Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13283336373839404348 ... LastLast
Results 741 to 760 of 1001

Thread: [SunChasersSG] - TCSS Thread (Part XVI)

  1. #741
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: [SunChasersSG] - TCSS Thread (Part XVI)

    Quote Originally Posted by ClemC View Post
    software engineer problem la.. the software statement was written as "if level = 75% then send SMS".. instead of "if level > or = 75% then send SMS"... LOL
    Or maybe the PUB engineer cant write specification properly.. or BOSS didn't pass down info correctly... LOL
    But in getting from 20% (for example) to 100% level, wouldn't it pass 75% on the way? Still have time factor involved? Weird.
    Exploring! :)

  2. #742
    Member ClemC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Within myself
    Posts
    721

    Default Re: [SunChasersSG] - TCSS Thread (Part XVI)

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    But in getting from 20% (for example) to 100% level, wouldn't it pass 75% on the way? Still have time factor involved? Weird.
    In most applications, the software only checked at certain time intervals (poll or loop) lah... (else one whole processer just checking on one level, not very efficient)

    [EDIT: most software engineer wont commit such a basic mistake la... hehehheeee... just helping PUB find another excuse la... ]
    Last edited by ClemC; 8th June 2011 at 11:34 AM.

  3. #743

    Default Re: [SunChasersSG] - TCSS Thread (Part XVI)

    Why fret over such things, it happens. And it will happen again.
    7D . 10-22 . 17-55 . 50 1.8 . 18-200 . 70-200 2.8 II . EX580 II
    潜水高尔夫球手 Sunchaser

  4. #744
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: [SunChasersSG] - TCSS Thread (Part XVI)

    Quote Originally Posted by ClemC View Post
    In most applications, the software only checked at certain time intervals (poll or loop) lah... (else one whole processer just checking on one level, not very efficient)

    [EDIT: most software engineer wont commit such a basic mistake la... hehehheeee... just helping PUB find another excuse la... ]
    hahahah wah so protective of the gatekeepers of our water resources....


    Quote Originally Posted by scubagolfer View Post
    Why fret over such things, it happens. And it will happen again.
    hehehehe but but.... I thought it's once in 50 years?
    Exploring! :)

  5. #745
    Member SurrealDreamWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Outer Limits
    Posts
    1,565

    Default Re: [SunChasersSG] - TCSS Thread (Part XVI)

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    hehehehe but but.... I thought it's once in 50 years?
    don't worry lah... next year december will wipe out our world, so the problems of flooding will not be bothered... LOL
    "There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trials and errors."

  6. #746
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: [SunChasersSG] - TCSS Thread (Part XVI)

    Quote Originally Posted by ClemC View Post
    In most applications, the software only checked at certain time intervals (poll or loop) lah... (else one whole processer just checking on one level, not very efficient)

    [EDIT: most software engineer wont commit such a basic mistake la... hehehheeee... just helping PUB find another excuse la... ]
    There can be another reason...maybe when they installed the system, the normal level was already at 75.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 8th June 2011 at 02:57 PM.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

  7. #747
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: [SunChasersSG] - TCSS Thread (Part XVI)

    Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    There can be another reason...maybe when they installed the system, the normal level was already at 75.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%
    Or the guy who installed the system forgot to connect the wires...
    Exploring! :)

  8. #748

    Default Re: [SunChasersSG] - TCSS Thread (Part XVI)

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Was listening to the news this evening, and the excuse given by PUB about why the few badly-affected buildings were not alerted of the impending floods.
    Oh gosh... ~slap head~
    The alert (set at 75% level) was not sent out because the level rose too quickly to 100%?
    Isn't 100% > 75% anyway?
    How dumb do they think the public is?
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemC View Post
    software engineer problem la.. the software statement was written as "if level = 75% then send SMS".. instead of "if level > or = 75% then send SMS"... LOL
    Or maybe the PUB engineer cant write specification properly.. or BOSS didn't pass down info correctly... LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Or the guy who installed the system forgot to connect the wires...
    well.. basically.. wad i believe is that they are just trying to cover their own ass and try to push the blame to somewhere.
    At the same time try to smoke the public thinking that majority of the public are dumb to believe what they say.
    Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

  9. #749

    Default Re: [SunChasersSG] - TCSS Thread (Part XVI)

    Whatever it is the building management cannot push the blame to PUB. The flooding is in the open, any overflow, people have eyes to see rather than depend on some software .. And they should have been more observant
    7D . 10-22 . 17-55 . 50 1.8 . 18-200 . 70-200 2.8 II . EX580 II
    潜水高尔夫球手 Sunchaser

  10. #750

    Default

    Seems like 50 years have passed again. The rain is so heavy right now...

    Judging from the calculations of the heavy rains every 50 years, I should be abt 173 years old?
    Nikon D90 | AF-S 18-105mm | AF 50mm f/1.8D | Tokina 12-24mm f4 | Sigma 30mm f1.4

  11. #751
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scubagolfer
    Whatever it is the building management cannot push the blame to PUB. The flooding is in the open, any overflow, people have eyes to see rather than depend on some software .. And they should have been more observant
    Can't tell mah, bro. They were inside the mall tending their shops.

    I remember the last floods in 2010 were 'blamed' on some drains that were choked with leaves (+ the once in 50 year rains of course). Sounds like a failure of the system to me.
    Exploring! :)

  12. #752

    Default Re: [SunChasersSG] - TCSS Thread (Part XVI)

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Can't tell mah, bro. They were inside the mall tending their shops.

    I remember the last floods in 2010 were 'blamed' on some drains that were choked with leaves (+ the once in 50 year rains of course). Sounds like a failure of the system to me.
    its more like they r trying to push the blame else where when they could have done a better job. its typical for the top management to push the blame ard when its their failure to do sth abt it. PUB should have expected this kind of weather at the very least 2 years ago. Our weather climate is changing. Temperature is on the rise, places which are not supposed to be flooded are getting it, earthquake, storm etc. all are acting at the wrong time at the wrong place. i don't see why they need to wait for things to happen than do something about it.

    like the student who fell and died during the heavy downpour. railing should have been put up long ago, some are even rusty to such an extend tt 1 kick it will break. System is one thing but the top management unwilling to do something is still a big factor. Either they scare their bonus little or for whatever reason that they put aside what is really needed to be done.
    Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

  13. #753
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: [SunChasersSG] - TCSS Thread (Part XVI)

    All I can say is: ever since the commissioning of the Marina Barrage, we've had at least 3 bad floods in the Orchard and Bt Timah areas.

    Surely there is a connection there, excluding environmental factors and all...
    Exploring! :)

  14. #754
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra
    All I can say is: ever since the commissioning of the Marina Barrage, we've had at least 3 bad floods in the Orchard and Bt Timah areas.

    Surely there is a connection there, excluding environmental factors and all...
    Unconfirmed sources from civil engineering community say that the water pumps at marina barrage are grossly under spec.

  15. #755
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: [SunChasersSG] - TCSS Thread (Part XVI)


  16. #756

    Default Re: [SunChasersSG] - TCSS Thread (Part XVI)

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    isn't tt worst den smoking?
    Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

  17. #757
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: [SunChasersSG] - TCSS Thread (Part XVI)

    Quote Originally Posted by skylover View Post
    isn't tt worst den smoking?
    yeah I think it is...
    What happens when you use it too much?

    Flooding....
    Exploring! :)

  18. #758

    Default Re: [SunChasersSG] - TCSS Thread (Part XVI)

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    yeah I think it is...
    What happens when you use it too much?

    Flooding....
    hahha.. RIP ^^
    Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

  19. #759
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: [SunChasersSG] - TCSS Thread (Part XVI)

    Quote Originally Posted by skylover View Post
    hahha.. RIP ^^
    Actually, I was literally referring to

    http://static.stomp.com.sg/site/serv...81097-data.jpg


    Exploring! :)

  20. #760

    Default Re: [SunChasersSG] - TCSS Thread (Part XVI)

    lolx.. i was referring to e pic where e person seem to be smoking sheesha i think i spell wrongly.
    Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •