Thread: First len to go with my FM3a

Default First len to go with my FM3a

Hi,

Newbie here. My FM3a body just arrived yesterday from US. Now looking for a lens to go with it. As I will be using it more for general shots, so thinking of getting a standard type of lens (also tight on budget after getting the camera body). Any recommendation which lens should I buy first? And what is the average price? I don't mind if it is from 3rd party brand as long as it is work perfectly well with my FM3a.

The 45mm f/2.8P lens is featured in the manual. Is this a good lens? And will it be better if I get a zoom lens instead?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_de_weird
    Hi,

Newbie here. My FM3a body just arrived yesterday from US. Now looking for a lens to go with it. As I will be using it more for general shots, so thinking of getting a standard type of lens (also tight on budget after getting the camera body). Any recommendation which lens should I buy first? And what is the average price? I don't mind if it is from 3rd party brand as long as it is work perfectly well with my FM3a.

The 45mm f/2.8P lens is featured in the manual. Is this a good lens? And will it be better if I get a zoom lens instead?

Thanks.
    If you dun mind a manual lens, some of these lens can be got at a much lower price than AF counter part. However, chances of getting them new is slimmer. **Note: most of these lens can't work with lower end AF body**

What do you wanna take with the camera? This will help us give better recommendation.

I'll be using it mostly for street photography and portrait. More of a casual use. I'm ok with manual lens as long as the pictures come out are good. Are the AI & AI-S type manual lens??

a 50/1.8 sells pretty cheap. stoned is selling a 75-150/3.5 e-series, gd lens. i'm tempted, but not interested in playing with zooms. maybe u can give it a gd home.

do give the manual nikkors a serious thought; sturdy build and smooth focus, unlike their AF counterparts.
    personally i'll choose a 35mm focal length for its flexibility, the 50mm favourite is a bit tight for street photography.

the 50mm is probably the hardest lens to used to get a good photo but a the best photos almost always come from it. Thats what i feel. I'd reccomend a 35mm f1.4 or f2 for your purpose. Kohking is selling one i believe. Alternatively, u can try a 50mm. not easy but a swell lens. Can be had at abt 150 for a new one.

another vote for the 35mm F2,manual or AF,great for street as well as enviromental portraits. another Nikon Ais 105mm F2.5 will make a great combo!

for manual i will stick to primes...and yes the nikkor manual lens are of great build and superior quality.....

Quote Originally Posted by szekiat
    the 50mm is probably the hardest lens to used to get a good photo but a the best photos almost always come from it. Thats what i feel. I'd reccomend a 35mm f1.4 or f2 for your purpose. Kohking is selling one i believe. Alternatively, u can try a 50mm. not easy but a swell lens. Can be had at abt 150 for a new one.
    How does the photo quality different between the 35mm f/1.4 and 35mm f/2 ? Are they the Ai/Ai-S type of lens and how much do they cost locally for a new ones?