Thread: new to lenses and filters, please advise

Default new to lenses and filters, please advise

Hi,

I just bought a Olympus XZ-1 user. Recently, I also bought the 52mm lens adapter from fellow CSer.

I am looking for a cheap (not more than $100) but good fisheye lens and UV/CPL filter to add on..

any recommendation? or is it even recommended that I use all these? and where can I get it?

Blog Entries

Default Re: new to lenses and filters, please advise

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Lee View Post
    Hi,

I just bought a Olympus XZ-1 user. Recently, I also bought the 52mm lens adapter from fellow CSer.

I am looking for a cheap (not more than $100) but good fisheye lens and UV/CPL filter to add on..

any recommendation? or is it even recommended that I use all these? and where can I get it?
    You spend over $600 to buy a camera that gives very good image quality, only to try to save money buying a cheap lousy fisheye convertor to put in front of the lens, killing the image quality.

If you still want one, look for Vitacon branded ones. Most camera stores sell it, but do not pay more than $60 for it.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    You spend over $600 to buy a camera that gives very good image quality, only to try to save money buying a cheap lousy fisheye convertor to put in front of the lens, killing the image quality.

If you still want one, look for Vitacon branded ones. Most camera stores sell it, but do not pay more than $60 for it.
    I'd actually suggest also looking in the buy / sell section here. Do a search for "vitacon". Should have some CSers desperate to sell these pieces of junk that the shops "carrot-chopped" them with.
    Alpha

Regarding CPL / UV: there is a sticky thread about filters just on top of this thread list: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...ide-to-Filters
    Read this, make up your mind, buy only what you understand. Since you have a 52mm filter adapter you will need this size.
    EOS

Frankly, there isn't anything worth adding onto a XZ-1
    The worst case will be your over eagerness makes you an easy target to the chopper shops trying to sell you such stuff at 2-5x the price of such items.

I'd suggest you play around with your camera first and hang around here a while. Do some more read up on photography as well.
    When you are more familiar, maybe you might want to add some filters like polarizer and GND (maybe...)

Hi,

No, recommend that you don't buy any of these. Hope this helps.