Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Bicycle

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Yew Tee
    Posts
    677

    Default Bicycle

    Hi everyone,
    i was think of getting a PORTABLE/FOLDABLE bicycle that can withstand my weight of 70kg plus a few kgs of camera equipment and im looking for a shop, preferably to be in the westside so i can cycle home after the purchase so any recommendation? No budget constraint.
    If the photo i took is 1% unclear, I will rather delete .. www.flickr.com/photos/59837685@N03/

  2. #2

    Default Re: Bicycle

    Why not post in the "CS bicycles and cyclist thread" thread that's right here on the fist page in Kopitiam (at the time of your posting)?
    Alpha

  3. #3

    Default Re: Bicycle

    Unless I'm mistaken, the only specialist foldie shop in the west is My Bike Shop (http://www.mybikeshop.com.sg/).

    70kg is no prob - most Dahons I've seen are rated at 105kg or higher. Even the tiny JZ88 is rated at 80kg (http://jz88.com/)

    You might want to visit www.togoparts.com for more info and feedback.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: Bicycle

    Heavy? This folding bike can handle HEAVY!
    http://www.diginexx.com/DIGINEXX/montague.html

    Check out other brand in their catalog too

  5. #5

    Default Re: Bicycle

    I recommand the Brompton. It is small enough to put in the car/taxi boot. My >100kg friend is cycling it everyday to work. So it should be ok for you and your gears.

    There is also a Brompton bag that you can consider as well...

    PS: I am not working or getting commission from Brompton hor....

  6. #6
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Bicycle

    Quote Originally Posted by canonmono View Post
    Hi everyone,
    i was think of getting a PORTABLE/FOLDABLE bicycle that can withstand my weight of 70kg plus a few kgs of camera equipment and im looking for a shop, preferably to be in the westside so i can cycle home after the purchase so any recommendation? No budget constraint.
    How much are you willing to spend?

    Brompton is like if you have money and you know what you want. It is more branding then really like it is so great. Check out the Brompton brand online first. Get the full gear system for it, leather brook saddle and basket and you are looking to spend a rediculous $3,000 for it. But it does fold to be quite small but there are others that does as well as STILL pass the MRT size requirement. Alot of Marketing and PR when you buy a folding bike at Digenexx. The take a photo of you like a success story for each bike they sold to a new owner. That kinda thing. I think that is so iphone thingy lah but that is just me. THey are located in Lavendar Road area. They carry a wide line but you got to know how much you willing to spend or get carried away and you spend more then you need to. KNow what you need the bike for and then stick to it.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Bicycle

    I am riding a Brompton. Yes it is expensive if you consider what 2.6K can get you. A mid range roadie or hardtail whereas Brompton is a community bike. No it isn't expensive because it is hand make in UK and the finishing is excellent. In term of folding, nothing come close to Brompton fold. Easy to fold, compact, no awkward parts sticking out (you can compare the fold with Birdy or any other brand). Pushing it around is also much easier compare to Birdy (which you can't really push it around and had to lift up and carry.)

    Initially, i wanted to get the Birdy because of front and rear suspension and a sportier design. Change half my mind after trying out folding the 2 and sold when i compare the ride...Birdy is alu whereas Brompton is steel. Guess i belong to the group that swear by steel bike...

  8. #8

    Default Re: Bicycle

    Agreed it is expensive. But once you compare the quality with the other brands, you will agree that the price is worth it.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: Bicycle

    Hehe I own 2 strida. No gears. No need to oil. wana go fast? pedal FASTER. :P

  10. #10

    Default Re: Bicycle

    Time to get a third one… there's a new model just released

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Yew Tee
    Posts
    677

    Default Re: Bicycle

    What are the places that sell birdy bikes? cant seems to find ..
    If the photo i took is 1% unclear, I will rather delete .. www.flickr.com/photos/59837685@N03/

  12. #12

    Default Re: Bicycle

    Diginexx is the previous distributor. They still have some trade in or resale bike to offer. Friend just bought a mint cond 2nd hand Birdy from them last week. Heard from Diginexx, there will be a new distributor taking over but most likely not operational yet. The best place to start look for one now is still Diginexx.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Bicycle

    There's a 3 days free trial on the 3 models that Pacific Cycles has and not sure if thie is open to members only ( which I doubt ) : http://jz88.com/jz88-blog/2011/04/fr...me-or-if-mode/
    Just submit the comment on which bike you prefer to try out and of course a good write-up on the reason to.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Bicycle

    I only own a URATA.
    Know, why?
    Cause all bikes are expensive once its kenna stolen!

    Get a bike depending on your budget and needs.
    There is a lot of hype over expensive bikes. IMHO, some are really well thought out, some are not.
    Do you need to park it at the MRT for the day, when you go to work?
    Do you want to worry over it parked outside the local Mac's when you and your family are enjoying breakfast inside?
    Do you need a bike that can fold up and then still be pushable by its folded wheels?
    Any odd sticking parts?
    Does the bike stand well on its own after being folded?
    Ease of folding and un-folding?
    Odd proprietary spare parts?
    Suspension is over rated, cause most folks only use them on good roads here.
    Not to mention that a rear suspension soaks up pedaling power.

    Just some things to consider before buying one.
    If you are too lazy to fold and un-fold (like me), might as well get a non folding bike

  15. #15

    Default Re: Bicycle

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    I only own a URATA.
    Know, why?
    Cause all bikes are expensive once its kenna stolen!

    Get a bike depending on your budget and needs.
    There is a lot of hype over expensive bikes. IMHO, some are really well thought out, some are not.
    Do you need to park it at the MRT for the day, when you go to work?
    Do you want to worry over it parked outside the local Mac's when you and your family are enjoying breakfast inside?
    Do you need a bike that can fold up and then still be pushable by its folded wheels?
    Any odd sticking parts?
    Does the bike stand well on its own after being folded?
    Ease of folding and un-folding?
    Odd proprietary spare parts?
    Suspension is over rated, cause most folks only use them on good roads here.
    Not to mention that a rear suspension soaks up pedaling power.

    Just some things to consider before buying one.
    If you are too lazy to fold and un-fold (like me), might as well get a non folding bike
    Some foldies fold in less than 15 secs, very quick !

  16. #16

    Default Re: Bicycle

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Boy View Post
    Some foldies fold in less than 15 secs, very quick !
    Mine does too. But then I['m just too lazy to do it

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: Bicycle

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    I only own a URATA.
    Know, why?
    Cause all bikes are expensive once its kenna stolen!

    Get a bike depending on your budget and needs.
    There is a lot of hype over expensive bikes. IMHO, some are really well thought out, some are not.
    Do you need to park it at the MRT for the day, when you go to work?
    Do you want to worry over it parked outside the local Mac's when you and your family are enjoying breakfast inside?
    Do you need a bike that can fold up and then still be pushable by its folded wheels?
    Any odd sticking parts?
    Does the bike stand well on its own after being folded?
    Ease of folding and un-folding?
    Odd proprietary spare parts?
    Suspension is over rated, cause most folks only use them on good roads here.
    Not to mention that a rear suspension soaks up pedaling power.

    Just some things to consider before buying one.
    If you are too lazy to fold and un-fold (like me), might as well get a non folding bike
    Yes this stolen bike issue is a real concern cos I personally know a girl whose Birdy bike has been stolen. She stupidly park it in front of library! I bring my strida into the library (no issue). I never park my strida far away from me. If I ride into office, I fold it and park under my desk, even with that I lock it.

    If I am going into a building and the security guard is making a fuss of me I will ask the reason why.
    At one time a hotel guard is complaining saying the wheel are dirty. I just hold it and carry my strida on my shoulder, like it is a bazooka hahahaha.
    Just 10 kg what - so light.

    If they complain that it is a bicycle and it cannot be brought in, then I simply turn away. So far I only get that treatment once. At esplanade.

  18. #18
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Bicycle

    Are the full sized folding bicycles still compact enough for MRTs ?

    I was previously looking at the Montague and the Pacific IFs ( then of course i realized my workplace got space to hide a full size bike so i got a road bike ). Of course if I ever were to get one it might be one of those funkier Cube carbon fibre folding bicycles or the pretty similar Switch heh ..

    Ryan

  19. #19

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: Bicycle

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Are the full sized folding bicycles still compact enough for MRTs ?

    I was previously looking at the Montague and the Pacific IFs ( then of course i realized my workplace got space to hide a full size bike so i got a road bike ). Of course if I ever were to get one it might be one of those funkier Cube carbon fibre folding bicycles or the pretty similar Switch heh ..

    Ryan
    Um no, if follow by the book, but if you still want to try then the answer is: probably not.
    To take into MRT are for the smaller wheel size.

    Montague and Swissbike are full size MTB, despite ability to fold.
    But if you are big size (1.75m+ tall) and you have those bike bag you can try during non peak hour.
    Just dont get caught
    Last edited by aryanto; 30th April 2011 at 08:57 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •