Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: about ND filters and StepUp Ring

  1. #1

    Cool about ND filters and StepUp Ring

    I need a ND filter for my 52mm lens on Nikon D5000.
    The problem is nobody sells 52mm ND (either Hoya-ND400 or BW-110).

    Then I came across StepUp Ring.
    Q1. Should I get 67 or 77mm filters? I am not even sure what camera/lens I will upgrade in two years. I just know everybody selling 77mm in Buy/Sell

    Q2. Is there 52->67 or 52-->77 StepUp ring in the first place?
    Are these StepUps easily available at Camera shops?

    Q3. In daylight, if I buy a 10Stop filter, do I still need a 3Stop filter?

    Please bear with me, as I am totally new to filters, and I have went through DareDevil's Newbies filter-guide already.

    All tips and recommendations welcome.

  2. #2

    Default Re: about ND filters and StepUp Ring

    Q1: 77mm is the pro-standard, most people get this size for their lens.

    Q3: different lighting condition calls for different stops of ND. for me i have both 10 and 3 stops ND. i usually use my 10 stops an hour or 2 before sunset. when the sun sets, i will swap it with my 3 stops. why? because 10 stops ND can translate to hours and even days of long exposure. i wont wanna stay at the location for such a long period of time.

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: about ND filters and StepUp Ring

    Qst 1
    have you considered using square filters (e.g. Cokin P Filters) instead of round ones? Not sure about the exact size, but can fit for 77mm lens. These P filters are mounted on a P Holder. And you will need a filter adapter, (in your case is 52mm), so you will need to get a 52mm filter adapter ring to allow the holder to be mounted on your lens.

    In this way, you can then use these sets of filters on other lens by getting another filter adapter (if the filter thread is not 52mm)

    Qst 2
    Most shops will carry these rings. Just give them a ring to check for availability just in case

    Qst 3,
    I went with the 3 stop. So far so good....Only at times It's not enough (during these time, I will stack another 3 stop on it...Just be careful with the color casts while stacking)
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  4. #4

    Default Re: about ND filters and StepUp Ring

    get 77mm

    The last time i check many shops don't have them, not the size I needed 52-77 anyway. Try Cathay Photo or Orient Photo.
    Canon 550D - EF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS / EF 50mm f1.8 II
    Sigma 70-300mm F/4-5.6 APO DG Macro

  5. #5
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default Re: about ND filters and StepUp Ring

    yes, i agree with SkyStrike to get a square filter (like Lee Big Stopper if you are into 10 stop ND). then get a holder. So its basically one size fits all.

  6. #6

    Default Re: about ND filters and StepUp Ring

    thanks all for reply.
    I went to compare 67 and 77. 77 look so wierd/hugh on my 52mm lens, I pick up 67mm.

    For the square thingy, looks too professional, but I felt less convenient to bring out. Screw on filter is easier for me , for now (kids keep disturbing when we go out)

    @tecnica, Question #3 timing for 10 or 3-stops recommendations noted.

    Too happy with new toy, everything blast 30s, end up over-exposed


  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: about ND filters and StepUp Ring

    Just a note, if you are into landscaping GND will come in handy, but I doubt you can find Round GNDs...Most that I've seen are only available in Square form...

    *I used a 77mm CPL on my 58mm 18-55...Trumpeters, who cares :P *
    Last edited by SkyStrike; 26th April 2011 at 10:42 PM.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  8. #8
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: about ND filters and StepUp Ring

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Just a note, if you are into landscaping GND will come in handy, but I doubt you can find Round GNDs...Most that I've seen are only available in Square form...

    *I used a 77mm CPL on my 58mm 18-55...Trumpeters, who cares :P *
    Round screw on GND filters are available, just that they are not very useful.

  9. #9
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: about ND filters and StepUp Ring

    Quote Originally Posted by penglee View Post
    thanks all for reply.
    I went to compare 67 and 77. 77 look so wierd/hugh on my 52mm lens, I pick up 67mm.

    For the square thingy, looks too professional, but I felt less convenient to bring out. Screw on filter is easier for me , for now (kids keep disturbing when we go out)

    @tecnica, Question #3 timing for 10 or 3-stops recommendations noted.

    Too happy with new toy, everything blast 30s, end up over-exposed
    With ND110 you still need to do some calculations to get the right exposure. Take a meter of the scene without the filter. remember the Aperture and shutter speed. Keeping ISO and Aperture constant, multiply the shutter speed by 1000. That will be the correct shutter speed with the ND110.

    Welcome to the world of long exposure. A pic I took with big stopper

    Last edited by daredevil123; 27th April 2011 at 07:44 AM.

  10. #10
    Member bojee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    417

    Default Re: about ND filters and StepUp Ring

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    With ND110 you still need to do some calculations to get the right exposure. Take a meter of the scene without the filter. remember the Aperture and shutter speed. Keeping ISO and Aperture constant, multiply the shutter speed by 1000. That will be the correct shutter speed with the ND110.

    Welcome to the world of long exposure. A pic I took with big stopper

    Nic pic bro! By the way, care to share where this was taken?
    ADDICTED

  11. #11
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: about ND filters and StepUp Ring

    Quote Originally Posted by bojee View Post
    Nic pic bro! By the way, care to share where this was taken?
    Upper Seletar Reservoir

  12. #12

    Default Re: about ND filters and StepUp Ring

    Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    Q1: 77mm is the pro-standard, most people get this size for their lens.

    Q3: different lighting condition calls for different stops of ND. for me i have both 10 and 3 stops ND. i usually use my 10 stops an hour or 2 before sunset. when the sun sets, i will swap it with my 3 stops. why? because 10 stops ND can translate to hours and even days of long exposure. i wont wanna stay at the location for such a long period of time.
    I was wondering if a Fader ND filter will give you much more flexibility?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •