Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45

Thread: Ultra Wide Angle as Walkaround Lens - too much?

  1. #21
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,444

    Default Re: Ultra Wide Angle as Walkaround Lens - too much?

    Quote Originally Posted by eventidephoenix View Post
    Hmmm but I read some reviews which were pretty critical of the distortion and softness of the lens =\

    -_-" I did mention I am lugging both around, I just dislike changing them on the go
    If looking at the reviews, you can't really see the softness/barrel distortion of the lens, then this lens have no weakness to you (although to others it may still have that weakness).

    I kinda understand the bit about changing lens on the go, but you have to pick the right tool for right job, and i do also understand that some conditions are very difficult to change lens, e.g. Windy/Sandy/Raining environment. But it's all about compromising. Focal Length, Convenience, Image Quality, pick 2.

    otoh, I do own the 10-22, I've seldom find the need to change to other lens (18-55, 55-250). But mainly still depends on what you are trying to achieve for that shot.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  2. #22
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Ultra Wide Angle as Walkaround Lens - too much?

    Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Lovely lovely shots, daredevil123!
    Classic example and most appropriate demonstrations of UWA shots!
    Thanks bro. Nothing compared to your pics with the 16-35 m2.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Ultra Wide Angle as Walkaround Lens - too much?

    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    I think he referred to the barrel distortion, rather than perspective distortion. The kind of distortion that kind of gives a fisheye effect to your photos but it's not severe enough to look like it's done on purpose.
    Yeap thanks for clarifying ^^ I do appreciate perspective distortion

    Quote Originally Posted by digitalpimp View Post
    My advice is go around SG first with an UWA, simulate whatever you're planning to do on your trip and see how it feels. If it's too wide, ditch it. If it triggers some kind of 'newfound artistic approach' then by all means.

    Personally, I love UWA for walkabouts. I go about shooting street at 8mm. Love it.
    I would, thanks for your advise, it's reassuring


    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    If looking at the reviews, you can't really see the softness/barrel distortion of the lens, then this lens have no weakness to you (although to others it may still have that weakness).

    I kinda understand the bit about changing lens on the go, but you have to pick the right tool for right job, and i do also understand that some conditions are very difficult to change lens, e.g. Windy/Sandy/Raining environment. But it's all about compromising. Focal Length, Convenience, Image Quality, pick 2.

    otoh, I do own the 10-22, I've seldom find the need to change to other lens (18-55, 55-250). But mainly still depends on what you are trying to achieve for that shot.

    I agree about the compromise. I think perhaps I may end up compromising focal length =\

  4. #24
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,444

    Default Re: Ultra Wide Angle as Walkaround Lens - too much?

    Quote Originally Posted by eventidephoenix View Post
    I agree about the compromise. I think perhaps I may end up compromising focal length =\
    Tamron 18-270, one of the ultimate compromise. But for many, it's the perfect lens.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  5. #25

    Default Re: Ultra Wide Angle as Walkaround Lens - too much?

    agree with a few pointers here. i forced myself to use my UWA as a workabout lens for a day.

    felt abit restricted as i cant zoom in onto flowers, people and such.

    sure i can get close for some shots:

    any closer, the lens will refuse to focus already. bokeh is not that good also.

    maybe i will practice more with my UWA. it's a challenge to use it properly man.

    for now i still prefer my standard zoom as my walkabout lens but i will definitely have my UWA in my bag too, haha.

  6. #26
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,444

    Default Re: Ultra Wide Angle as Walkaround Lens - too much?

    wow.....close up with UWA on a Bee....Is your lens close to "kissing" the bee?
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  7. #27

    Default Re: Ultra Wide Angle as Walkaround Lens - too much?

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    wow.....close up with UWA on a Bee....Is your lens close to "kissing" the bee?
    yea it looks scarily close o.o

    I thought the SAL18250 is still superior in IQ, and PZD isn't really very much faster than it?

  8. #28

    Default Re: Ultra Wide Angle as Walkaround Lens - too much?

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    wow.....close up with UWA on a Bee....Is your lens close to "kissing" the bee?
    Quote Originally Posted by eventidephoenix View Post
    yea it looks scarily close o.o

    I thought the SAL18250 is still superior in IQ, and PZD isn't really very much faster than it?
    haha, i was at MFD of 24cm, almost kissing it.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Ultra Wide Angle as Walkaround Lens - too much?

    Last weekend I was walking around with a 17-35mm for the first time on film. It was very refreshing to get up real close to the subject and/or shoot in tight spaces, but sometimes I wish I had a bit more reach for further subjects. If I were shooting landscapes or the dense urban jungle, I wouldn't hesitate to bring the UWA again. But shooting people on the street is quite hard without being too upfront.

  10. #30
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,444

    Default Re: Ultra Wide Angle as Walkaround Lens - too much?

    Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    haha, i was at MFD of 24cm, almost kissing it.
    *Salute* I lack the guts to get so close to the bee....

    Quote Originally Posted by kcchew View Post
    Last weekend I was walking around with a 17-35mm for the first time on film. It was very refreshing to get up real close to the subject and/or shoot in tight spaces, but sometimes I wish I had a bit more reach for further subjects. If I were shooting landscapes or the dense urban jungle, I wouldn't hesitate to bring the UWA again. But shooting people on the street is quite hard without being too upfront.
    One of the reason why 55-250 is always in my bag for landscaping even when 10-22 is mounted on my camera most of the time..
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  11. #31

    Default Re: Ultra Wide Angle as Walkaround Lens - too much?

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    One of the reason why 55-250 is always in my bag for landscaping even when 10-22 is mounted on my camera most of the time..
    Heh, I'm a lazy photographer, I just bring one lens and force myself to use it for the whole day. That day I just felt like trying an UWA all the way, and that's when I started to respect it's upfront and all-encompassing nature.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Ultra Wide Angle as Walkaround Lens - too much?

    Quote Originally Posted by kcchew View Post
    Heh, I'm a lazy photographer, I just bring one lens and force myself to use it for the whole day. That day I just felt like trying an UWA all the way, and that's when I started to respect it's upfront and all-encompassing nature.
    How's your experience with it? Found it difficult to use?

    On the contrary I thought lazy photographers would use AIO lenses

  13. #33

    Default Re: Ultra Wide Angle as Walkaround Lens - too much?

    Personally, I feel UWA lenses are for two purposes:

    - Getting up close to the subject, especially when in a tight space
    - Getting as much scenery in a shot

    That day I found shooting people very hard. But it was fun shooting architecture at funny angles and seeing how close I could get to my subjects. I guess it boils down to what kind of photography you want.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Ultra Wide Angle as Walkaround Lens - too much?



    medium macro with canon 10 22...

  15. #35
    Senior Member digitalpimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Shèng Gǎng
    Posts
    2,744

    Default Re: Ultra Wide Angle as Walkaround Lens - too much?

    Quote Originally Posted by tuwinkk View Post


    medium macro with canon 10 22...

    win!

  16. #36

    Default

    Hi TS, there is no right or wrong answer to your question bcos it is a matter of style n preference. For a walkabout lens whether you use a UWA or mid tele just know they are different and you have to know their characteristics and custom it to the kind of image you want to take.

    For example, UWA most likely have distortion at the wide age, and bcos you capture a wide area, it can be too distracting in composition unless you incorporate a foreground n background interest. So go close to your subject and throw the background back.

    Mid tele is more suited for point and shoot and more versatile as well and easy to pick up in terms of composition.

    Try both when you can and decide what you prefer. There is not right or wrong in this case. So expand and experience the possibilities.

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default Re: Ultra Wide Angle as Walkaround Lens - too much?

    If I can forsee myself using a telezoom lens (@ 300mm range) for walkabout, I don't see why not a UWA if you want to show a crowd gathering for Rally. *hint hint*
    It's all depends on what you want to frame and what perspective do you want to show.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Ultra Wide Angle as Walkaround Lens - too much?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    If I can forsee myself using a telezoom lens (@ 300mm range) for walkabout, I don't see why not a UWA if you want to show a crowd gathering for Rally. *hint hint*
    It's all depends on what you want to frame and what perspective do you want to show.
    LOL! Yea!

    But due to a bit of budget issues, I'm going for a all in one instead... I will save up and explore the UWA arena when I've finally got enough. But thanks everyone for the great amount of confidence you've inspired

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    If u have the intention to use multiple lens, I would advice NOT to buy a do it all lens. Get a tamron or sigma 17-50 F/2.8 for a start for wide enough angle to crop enough for portrait while enjoying the F/2.8 constant.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  20. #40
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,444

    Default Re: Ultra Wide Angle as Walkaround Lens - too much?

    Quote Originally Posted by eventidephoenix View Post
    LOL! Yea!

    But due to a bit of budget issues, I'm going for a all in one instead... I will save up and explore the UWA arena when I've finally got enough. But thanks everyone for the great amount of confidence you've inspired
    imo, if you are not going for the very high quality images, an all in one lens (e.g. 18-2XX) + UWA is probably all that you ever need till the end of time or till you want some better optics lens.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •