Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please recommend bridge camera

Default Re: Please recommend bridge camera

Apart from the zoom, I can't see any benefits of the so called bridge camera with the introduction of mirrorless (olympus PEN, panasonic GF/GH). Most bridge camera are still using the pathetic tiny sensor. A 4/3 sensor simply beats the hell out of them.

I almost vomit blood when I use my friend's SX30, sharpness is not acceptable, extremely poor dynamic range, very small and laggy EVF, noise at ISO100, colours are inaccurate. It can't even hold a candle to Fujiflim compact (F200) with bigger sensor. Sorry to sound harsh. Note that I only use compact cameras and micro 4/3, no experience with DSLR and I already have this comment. Difference is huge and I will never ever get bridge camera and will never recommend to anybody. Unless, as I said, if they need the long telezoom with a very limited budget and size consideration.

If looking for IQ, any camera with a tiny sensor is not what you are looking for. At least some with a bigger sensor like G12.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pchmj View Post
    Apart from the zoom, I can't see any benefits of the so called bridge camera with the introduction of mirrorless (olympus PEN, panasonic GF/GH). Most bridge camera are still using the pathetic tiny sensor. A 4/3 sensor simply beats the hell out of them.

I almost vomit blood when I use my friend's SX30, sharpness is not acceptable, extremely poor dynamic range, very small and laggy EVF, noise at ISO100, colours are inaccurate. It can't even hold a candle to Fujiflim compact (F200) with bigger sensor. Sorry to sound harsh. Note that I only use compact cameras and micro 4/3, no experience with DSLR and I already have this comment. Difference is huge and I will never ever get bridge camera and will never recommend to anybody. Unless, as I said, if they need the long telezoom with a very limited budget and size consideration.

If looking for IQ, any camera with a tiny sensor is not what you are looking for. At least some with a bigger sensor like G12.
    Not all bridge cameras are bad. Some are actually quite good. And there is even a bridge camera in the past with APS-C sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Not all bridge cameras are bad. Some are actually quite good. And there is even a bridge camera in the past with APS-C sensor.
    Not all, I don't condemn all, at the very least should use 1/1.6" sensor, just can't accept 1/2.5".

Your passion already qualifies you to a DSLR. You love to learn and this is the best tool. I'm not too sure about prosumer bridge camera myself, but when I compare my DSLR to a that my GF owns PnS, I'm so glad I skip the whole chain of them and jump straight to this great teacher that has many functions available to utilize and learn from. I learned so much within a single year that I thought I could nvr do.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    Your passion already qualifies you to a DSLR. You love to learn and this is the best tool. I'm not too sure about prosumer bridge camera myself, but when I compare my DSLR to a that my GF owns PnS, I'm so glad I skip the whole chain of them and jump straight to this great teacher that has many functions available to utilize and learn from. I learned so much within a single year that I thought I could nvr do.
    Thank you for your words. It is very inspiring and reassuring to read your comments. To set the record straight, yes i do see myself moving to a DSLR gradually but i am not too sure when this is going to occur. It will happen but just a question of when. I am trying to explore and stretch myself in this learning journey by progressing steadily from platform to platform. Right now, other than this imperative need to learn and explore, i feel that my needs are met by a bridge camera (which to me is like a jack of all trades but master of none)

But i think i am foolhardy too. Because to progress steadily from platform to platform is very very costly indeed. I have this question.

If i were to sidetrack the chain of them and go straight to a DSLR, will i stand to lose anything in terms of learning experience?

Also, what do you guys feel about PnS with APS-C sensors as well as interchangeable lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by happily1986

Thank you for your words. It is very inspiring and reassuring to read your comments. To set the record straight, yes i do see myself moving to a DSLR gradually but i am not too sure when this is going to occur. It will happen but just a question of when. I am trying to explore and stretch myself in this learning journey by progressing steadily from platform to platform. Right now, other than this imperative need to learn and explore, i feel that my needs are met by a bridge camera (which to me is like a jack of all trades but master of none)

But i think i am foolhardy too. Because to progress steadily from platform to platform is very very costly indeed. I have this question.

If i were to sidetrack the chain of them and go straight to a DSLR, will i stand to lose anything in terms of learning experience?

Also, what do you guys feel about PnS with APS-C sensors as well as interchangeable lenses?
    I guess you would not lose out anything when you switch to a dslr in terms of learning. In fact for pns or bridge, it's like you are learning all the basics that a dslr can do at a much more advanced level. To me, a pns or bridge will be like learning to cook instant noodles and having a dslr will be adding an egg (though a rather high cost egg) or other ingredients to the noodles. If you can, maybe start off with a consumer dslr like the 600d or 1100d and get your feel with it.

No doubt there are lotsa ppl with a dslr now but I guess the question to ask is.. how many ppl are using the dslr as a pns and how many are using a pns with the understanding of what ISO, aperture and such terms are.. if you belong to the latter, then maybe a dslr may be more suitable for you..

While cost is a factor to consider, with all good things comes a certain degree of sacrifice.. so bro, think hard.. do you want to be those who just want to take pictures as your camera dictates, or do you want to dictate what your pictures will turn out to be..

You hit the nail on the head. You're overthinking things.
    "Steady progress from platform to platform" is a crock. If you want it, just get a DSLR. Anyway, what 'platform' is there between a bridge camera and a DSLR?

If you really want hands-on experience to make the decision, rent one. There are several rental options listed in the Commercial Services Offered section. If you want a recommendation, try Desmond aka Paradigm (Canon gear).

Quote Originally Posted by happily1986 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by satriani25 View Post
    No doubt there are lotsa ppl with a dslr now but I guess the question to ask is.. how many ppl are using the dslr as a pns and how many are using a pns with the understanding of what ISO, aperture and such terms are.. if you belong to the latter, then maybe a dslr may be more suitable for you..
    i get your drift, but it doesn't mean that IF someone knows how ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed are and GN and Hyperfocal distance and yadda yadda yadda are, means that they should get a DSLR. for me, i still shot on a bridge camera for years till i decided to upgrade when i decided the camera limited me too much.

Quote Originally Posted by satriani25 View Post
    While cost is a factor to consider, with all good things comes a certain degree of sacrifice.. so bro, think hard.. do you want to be those who just want to take pictures as your camera dictates, or do you want to dictate what your pictures will turn out to be..
    there's still P Mode on compacts to help with almost controlling that shot, to a certain extent. and most bridge cameras also have Manual Modes. if portability is an issue, then MFT or EVIL would be the way to go. they offer compactness, and better IQ than compact cameras.

a camera is just a tool to get a picture. give a person who understands exposure a compact, and he can create a masterpiece. give a person who's clueless an FF DSLR, and most likely what you're gonna see is...some random "masterpiece".

in a way, your last sentence contradicts your second sentence.

One thing for sure, side tracking to PnS will surely make you lose the chance to learn photography thoroughly. Maybe less so for prosumer with a viewfinder, but many PnS put's the user out of context and shoots what it thinks is the best for that scene. It takes the whole learning process out other than Composition of photos. I do agree that there are in-depth knowledge just with Composition alone. But, if you can learn it in both PnS & DSLR, why not just go straight for DSLR that gives you better image when you do it right, and worse image if you do it wrong? (Yes, if you do it wrong, DSLR shows it much more obvious than PnS)

Just to quote my macro journey as a story:

I started with a Tamron 90mm MF, the output is ok but it's a pretty old lens which I'm also limited by the aperture ring that I'd to switch manually with no metering at all. I keep the glass and move on to a Tamron 90mm AF. It's a fantastic lens that brought me tons of great macro images. I get better and better along the way with the help of the bros here on CS macro sub forum and constant self practice during weekends. Till I reach the point when I discover it's limitation, then I sold the tammy and upgrade to a Nikon 105mm VR micro.

What's the morale of the story? Two things. Firstly, if you have the passion, you should buy the more approperiate tool to start out with. If you don't, you will end up paying more than what you should had spent than if you buy the right tool right from the start. Secondly, even when I took the wrong turn and gone though 2 lenses before the 105mm VR, what changed? The entire setup, or just the lens? The advantage of DSLR is this modularity feature. Change the lens if you want a better quality, change the lens if you want a different perspective.

With regarding to compact body with APS-C sensor, I would believe they are great if you need the convenience of carrying a lighter body and if you are willing to pay for it (They are NOT cheap). For learning wise, I would say not as much as to compared to a DSLR.

A few people have suggested the Fujifilm HS20.

Although Fujifilm solved a few problems present in the HS10, such as photo viewing software in the camera, and shortening the time writing photos to the card, they have a new problem- overheating.

There are quite a few reports of where the camera will flash a message on overheating, and the camera will freeze.

Please Google and check for yourself.

Such a pity, because the HS10 took quite good photos, and I assume the HS20 pic quality is otherwise good too

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309

i get your drift, but it doesn't mean that IF someone knows how ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed are and GN and Hyperfocal distance and yadda yadda yadda are, means that they should get a DSLR. for me, i still shot on a bridge camera for years till i decided to upgrade when i decided the camera limited me too much.

there's still P Mode on compacts to help with almost controlling that shot, to a certain extent. and most bridge cameras also have Manual Modes. if portability is an issue, then MFT or EVIL would be the way to go. they offer compactness, and better IQ than compact cameras.

a camera is just a tool to get a picture. give a person who understands exposure a compact, and he can create a masterpiece. give a person who's clueless an FF DSLR, and most likely what you're gonna see is...some random "masterpiece".

in a way, your last sentence contradicts your second sentence.
    Maybe to put it in a simpler sentence, a dslr will offer much more thorough control over what you wanna create, otherwise why don't you see professionals at weddings shooting with a pns? (As read on a posting by one of the brothers here).

True someone can know all about the technical terms of photography but still shoot on auto mode on any camera. I'm just telling our bro if he wants more control, then maybe he should go for a dslr.

Quote Originally Posted by satriani25

Maybe to put it in a simpler sentence, a dslr will offer much more thorough control over what you wanna create, otherwise why don't you see professionals at weddings shooting with a pns? (As read on a posting by one of the brothers here).
    Yes. More control. But will it be what you need in the first place if all you want is hassle free shooting? Because in the end u uave to factor in cost of lenses and accessories. And the weight and such.

Not saying that it's not advisable to buy a DSLR, but most people would buy one and then realize it's not for them. Then it becomes another ornament on the desk or around the neck

Yes. More control. But will it be what you need in the first place if all you want is hassle free shooting? Because in the end u uave to factor in cost of lenses and accessories. And the weight and such.

Not saying that it's not advisable to buy a DSLR, but most people would buy one and then realize it's not for them. Then it becomes another ornament on the desk or around the neck

DSLRs ARE the bridge cameras.... to an M9 or MF....
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

I am usually on manual mode. To be honest, it is 100% of the time. Trying to muck around with the aperture and manual focus functions. But unfortunately, these two features seem like after thoughts in terms of implementation. I can't really tell what I am doing when I am adjusting the f stops. I do miss having an optical viewfinder.

It seems like I am gradually shifting away from favouring a bridge to a dslr.

Btw, am I correct to say that for Canon, only the mid range EOS x0D carry the spot metering mode? It seems very useful to me.

Blog Entries

Prices of Dslr are very affordable. Plus the availability of 2nd hand cameras, they sometimes cost less than bridge cameras. And you can do so much more with the right lenses.

I am usually on manual mode. To be honest, it is 100% of the time. Trying to muck around with the aperture and manual focus functions. But unfortunately, these two features seem like after thoughts in terms of implementation. I can't really tell what I am doing when I am adjusting the f stops. I do miss having an optical viewfinder.

It seems like I am gradually shifting away from favouring a bridge to a dslr.

Btw, am I correct to say that for Canon, only the mid range EOS x0D carry the spot metering mode? It seems very useful to me.
    from what i see, only the 1000D and 1100D does not have spot metering. The 600D also carries spot metering and seems like the cheapest model so far..

Blog Entries

from what i see, only the 1000D and 1100D does not have spot metering. The 600D also carries spot metering and seems like the cheapest model so far..
    Do note that spot metering on canon bodies (with the exception of 1d series) only does metering at the center AF spot.

On Nikon system, spot metering happens at the selected AF point.

Not sure of other camera systems. But I think most other systems does it similar to Nikon.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 26th April 2011 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten
    Poison!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten
    Don't you start!!!!!

H4D-60 FTW
    Last edited by daredevil123; 26th April 2011 at 02:41 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast