Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuji's new SuperCCD cameras (including the S2 Pro!)

Originally posted by Jed
    Yes, the colours out of the camera are the best of that generation, and still among the best today. And you're entitled to your opinion about the interpolation, but at the end of the day there are only x number of pixels in the image, hexagonal or not. This may make it smoother to interpolate, but generates zero extra detail. It could well be that the hex shaped pixels allow the camera to handle the detail well, but I've no problems with conventional shaped pixels and Altamira GF, or Photoshop Bicubic, or at times the various options in Qimage if I really need to upsize an image. 6mp is enough for a LOT of applications, and I agree that 12mp is in general, a space filler more than anything as YSLee has pointed out. Personally, my comfort zone for daily shooting, pro work included, is around 8mp of (real, not RGB, if possible) pixels. Storing more info than that will start to get very cumbersome and slow without putting a lot of real gain into the equation.

That said, I applaud Fuji for putting a 6mp chip at that price point, it will be very good value.
    Well Jed, now this time I must agree with you. With 6mp, a poster can easily be printed out.

Hi,

I just spoke to the guy at Colour Lab. He mentioned that the S2 Pro will be in Singapore around the June/July timeframe. No pricing info is avaible as yet, but he expects it to be around S$8K (more or less tallies with the UK press release which says 3000 pounds) Which puts it in the same price range as a D1X. But this is "12" megapixels.

Well, he also said that 12 megapixel is overkill. The 3+ uninterpolated megapixels from the S1 Pro is already very good, he said. I also saw a number of 10 x 15" Frontier prints from the S1Pro which looks very sharp and full of details. And it appears to be able to render every subtle shade of colour nicely as well.

Speaking of S1Pro, Fuji has stopped production of it pending the S2Pro, and it's now currently sold out everywhere in Singapore.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by Bluestrike

Well Jed, now this time I must agree with you. With 6mp, a poster can easily be printed out.
    With high quality megapixels and a good interpolator, poster size prints are no problem actually. Colour Lab has some huge posters in its digital storefront printed from the S1Pro. Looks quite impressive.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by ckiang
    Hi,

I just spoke to the guy at Colour Lab. He mentioned that the S2 Pro will be in Singapore around the June/July timeframe. No pricing info is avaible as yet, but he expects it to be around S$8K (more or less tallies with the UK press release which says 3000 pounds) Which puts it in the same price range as a D1X. But this is "12" megapixels.
    EIGHT THOUSAND? Screw it man, I'll buy a D1x instead!

I doubt the price will be the same as the D1x. One cannot use the UK price as direct conversion, as they are having high tax on camera. Check out the price of F5, D1x...etc. in UK and compare them to the USA price. You will find that the figure is about the same. So, I would expect the S2 to be US$3000~3500, which is around S$6k.
    DR KOH KHO KING

Originally posted by YSLee

EIGHT THOUSAND? Screw it man, I'll buy a D1x instead!
    We will have to wait and see. Yeah, for $8K, I'd rather buy the D1X.

Regards
    CK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12