Thread: Help with Nikon Lens!!

Default Help with Nikon Lens!!

Hi, I have a nikon D90, a 18-105mm kit lens, and a 50mm F1.8D lens.

As I will be travelling this july, Im looking for a good all round lens that is wide enough to take quality landscape shots, and also have good bokeh for portraits. With my current 18-105mm, i find it too heavy to lug around, and the 50mm just issint wide enough.

Is the 35mm F1.8 DX sufficient to fill that role? or is the 18-105mm already wide enough making the 35mm lens a useless buy? Can somebody suggest a lens for me? preferbly lighter than the 18-105mm please. thank you!

Default Re: Help with Nikon Lens!!

18-105mm kit lens is already very compact and light consider the coverage it provide.

so you are looking for A lens much lighter than the 18-105mm kit lens have wider coverage yet long enough with wide aperture.... short answer is no.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by tauge31 View Post
    Hi, I have a nikon D90, a 18-105mm kit lens, and a 50mm F1.8D lens.

As I will be travelling this july, Im looking for a good all round lens that is wide enough to take quality landscape shots, and also have good bokeh for portraits. With my current 18-105mm, i find it too heavy to lug around, and the 50mm just issint wide enough.

Is the 35mm F1.8 DX sufficient to fill that role? or is the 18-105mm already wide enough making the 35mm lens a useless buy? Can somebody suggest a lens for me? preferbly lighter than the 18-105mm please. thank you!
    I already envy your 18-105 lens already -.- It have a decent range at a not so heavy weight. If this current setup is too heavy, you many want to consider a P&S instead.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

35mm on DX still isn't quite wide enough, and there are no DX wide primes other than the 10.5mm fisheye. The 18-105 is already very light, if you want lighter, I suppose you could get a 18-55 but that isn't very much lighter anyway, and covers less range.

i think TS may also consider the 17-50 2.8 range. 17mm which is wide enough for landscape, constant f/2.8 which is good under low light, and last but not least, its affordable.

There are some people who just use a 35mm on a FF when travelling. That is where they have already know what they are going to shoot when reaching the place.
    Think fast, aim for the best !

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey-Boy View Post
    i think TS may also consider the 17-50 2.8 range. 17mm which is wide enough for landscape, constant f/2.8 which is good under low light, and last but not least, its affordable.

There are some people who just use a 35mm on a FF when travelling. That is where they have already know what they are going to shoot when reaching the place.
    TS already say 18-105 too heavy, 17-50 f2.8 is even heavier...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey-Boy View Post

but the 17-50 is heavier than the 18-105...

Actually, most lenses are heavier than the 18-105.

I think 18-105 is quite a good travel lens and is quite light already. 35mm 1.8 is lighter and wide enough for landscape for me, but bokeh is not that good. Maybe can consider sigma 30?

18-105mm heavy?!

Mount 18-55mm loh...

Quote Originally Posted by chillicutter View Post
    18-105mm heavy?!

Mount 18-55mm loh...
    Sorry sorry. I didn't know your are a lady at first. Please pardon me.

Maybe a 18-55mm can justity your problem but I would not advise you to buy one.... Can try to loan one from your friends.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chillicutter View Post
    Sorry sorry. I didn't know your are a lady at first. Please pardon me.

Maybe a 18-55mm can justity your problem but I would not advise you to buy one.... Can try to loan one from your friends.
    Lady and not lady different treatment.. wwaaaa

Like what Daredevil said, 18-105 is already has a very comprehensive focal length coverage.
    If you find it heavy and large and want smaller primes and lenses, I'm afraid you have the wrong camera system.

Else try the 18-55mm kit lens
    Last edited by pinholecam; 27th April 2011 at 03:20 PM.

Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 is wide enough + your 50mm 1.8 should be fine for travel need.

Maybe the problem is not with the lens.. probably the camera is too heavy for you. :P

18-105mm is quite light. Yea, if you want to get the 35mm you can give it a try.

Not much weight difference but it's not as bulky.

Quote Originally Posted by LeChucky View Post
    Maybe the problem is not with the lens.. probably the camera is too heavy for you. :P

18-105mm is quite light. Yea, if you want to get the 35mm you can give it a try.

Not much weight difference but it's not as bulky.
    I wouldn't recommend getting a lighter body as weight balance then becomes the problem.

18-105 should be able to meet most your needs for travel use.
    From landscape to portrait, it is good enough.

I'm using 16-85 for travel and 35/1.8 for low light/night walkabout.

If you want to lug a more expensive lens, it will be heavier then becos of more elements in the lens. That's a trade-off.

The 50/1.8 is good for outdoor/environmental portraits.

I don't really see a problem to prepare for such a trip using the lenses mentioned.

Wanna trade ur D90(703g) with my D3100(505g) + top up ?
    Last edited by Guapo; 28th April 2011 at 09:11 AM.