Thread: First Touch . Mother & Son

Default First Touch . Mother & Son

1.in what area is critique to be sought?
    I will like feedback on the composition. I have composed the picture this way because I want to show the bonding and love between a mother and a son.

This is my setting
    aperture:f2.8 @ 35mm
    shutter speed:1/50 sec
    ISO: 400
    Post Processing in Lightroom to black and white.

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

The emphasis is on the hand of the little baby holding on to the mother's finger. I want to show the bonding and love between a mother and a son through this picture.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

This picture was taken indoor. I feel a strong sense of bonding between a mother and a son from the scene

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

Personally, I like this picture because it also show a beginning of a new life and the sense of support that we need from each other, a motherly love to her little baby.

I feel that the picture can be better if flash was used to compensate on the poor lighting that causes the mother's thumb to look darker than the other part of the picture.
    Visit my flickr at Pixels Palette's Flickr

Default Re: First Touch . Mother & Son

Although its abit OT, I would shorten the text to "Her hands guided my first step". This will also solve the problem of the "step" camouflaging with the blanket. I think it might have been better if the baby is looking towards the direction of the hand or camera.

Quote Originally Posted by rubberbands
    Although its abit OT, I would shorten the text to "Her hands guided my first step". This will also solve the problem of the "step" camouflaging with the blanket. I think it might have been better if the baby is looking towards the direction of the hand or camera.
    Thanks rubberbands for your comment. Sorry what does "OT" means? Thanks for point that out. For the message on the picture, I can shift it easily or reduce the font size a little without having to change the message. I also think that if the eyes of the baby can look toward the direction of the hand, it will be better.

Good composition: u fill the frame tightly so there are not distraction elements. good bokeh as you focus on the fingers while the baby's face is out of focus but not too much tt we cant identify.
    Light: Ok, nth to shout about. nice BW
    Story and moment: it conveys the message clear. good.

im not a fan of putting quote on a photo. yr photo is good and tell a clear story, it doesn't need a quote. Most of the time.
    Last edited by Learnphotography; 25th April 2011 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Learnphotography View Post
    Good composition: u fill the frame tightly so there are not distraction elements. good bokeh as you focus on the fingers while the baby's face is out of focus but not too much tt we cant identify.
    Light: Ok, nth to shout about. nice BW
    Story and moment: it conveys the message clear. good.

im not a fan of putting quote on a photo. yr photo is good and tell a clear story, it doesn't need a quote. Most of the time.
    Thank you very much Learnphotography for your comment and encouragement. They means a lot to me. This is my first time putting quote in a photo. Probably it is a good idea to leave out the quote in the photo and leave it to the viewer to "feel" for the picture itself since each of us may perceive differently from one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Windcharm View Post

1.in what area is critique to be sought?
    I will like feedback on the composition. I have composed the picture this way because I want to show the bonding and love between a mother and a son.

This is my setting
    aperture:f2.8 @ 35mm
    shutter speed:1/50 sec
    ISO: 400
    Post Processing in Lightroom to black and white.

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

The emphasis is on the hand of the little baby holding on to the mother's finger. I want to show the bonding and love between a mother and a son through this picture.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

This picture was taken indoor. I feel a strong sense of bonding between a mother and a son from the scene

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

Personally, I like this picture because it also show a beginning of a new life and the sense of support that we need from each other, a motherly love to her little baby.

I feel that the picture can be better if flash was used to compensate on the poor lighting that causes the mother's thumb to look darker than the other part of the picture.
    Lovely image. there is a strong focal point where the baby's tiny hands grasps his mother's finger, and this picture literally tells a thousand words.

As for the lighting, you could try enhancing the contrast of the b&w image by burning and dodging selective parts of the image in post processing.
    e.g.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    Lovely image. there is a strong focal point where the baby's tiny hands grasps his mother's finger, and this picture literally tells a thousand words.

As for the lighting, you could try enhancing the contrast of the b&w image by burning and dodging selective parts of the image in post processing.
    e.g.
    Thank you Zaren for you comments and points. I will try out dodge and burn method next time.

Hello Windcharm.
    It is a lovely idea.
    And certainly as what Zaren suggested, the burning of certain areas to bring attention to the main focus which is the finger of the Mother and the hand of the baby would be advantageous.
    May I suggest something.
    If you have the opportunity to do this shoot again, position the Mother's finger and the baby's hand in the same way. But this time round, coo-coo to the baby so that he/she will look towards the Mother (better yet, towards her finger) instead of looking away.
    The impact of the message will be many-folds multiply.

My humble suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Hello Windcharm.
    It is a lovely idea.
    And certainly as what Zaren suggested, the burning of certain areas to bring attention to the main focus which is the finger of the Mother and the hand of the baby would be advantageous.
    May I suggest something.
    If you have the opportunity to do this shoot again, position the Mother's finger and the baby's hand in the same way. But this time round, coo-coo to the baby so that he/she will look towards the Mother (better yet, towards her finger) instead of looking away.
    The impact of the message will be many-folds multiply.

My humble suggestion.
    Thank you limwhow for your pointers and comments. I will try to improve on my photography skill and composition next time. I have never tried dodge and burn technic before, is there any good reading materials/website for photoshop?

By the way, limwhow, I love the thread to Everest!
    Last edited by Windcharm; 27th April 2011 at 09:50 AM.

No offense, but here are my few cents.

Execution is alright. You got a simple, straight forward composition that gets the msg across. Good shallow DOF focusing on the hands and blurred out face of the baby.
    Maybe if you can have a shot where the baby is looking to the hands or the camera, there will be a bit more added impact.
    Lighting is clean and does the job.
    Now the last thing may sound offensive, I just can't tell its a lady's hand from the photo. A few elements work to that.
    One, the hand placement is at an angle that does not define a woman's hands (maybe seeing the sharper/slender taper of the fingers for a woman would be better)
    Two, there is no defining item on the hand. (maybe a wedding ring would help)
    The bent on the pointer finger in b/w actually suggests roughness and maybe even hair pores

Keep it up, its certainly a good image to keep.
    Last edited by pinholecam; 27th April 2011 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post

Execution is alright. You got a simple, straight forward composition that gets the msg across. Good shallow DOF focusing on the hands and blurred out face of the baby.
    Maybe if you can have a shot where the baby is looking to the hands or the camera, there will be a bit more added impact.
    Now the last thing may sound offensive, I just can't tell its a lady's hand from the photo. A few elements work to that.
    One, the hand placement is at an angle that does not define a woman's hands (maybe seeing the sharper/slender taper of the fingers for a woman would be better)
    The bent on the pointer finger in b/w actually suggests roughness and maybe even hair pores

Thanks pinholecam for your comments. I do understand that I can work more on the direction of the baby's eye such that he is looking at the finger/hand as mentioned by a few other CS member.

As for whether anyone is able to tell that it is a lady's hand from the photo, I do agree on point #1, probably I can work more on the hand placement.Point #2, may or not be good as it be a "distraction" if it is not done correctly. Point #3, note that this is not a paid shoot with a model, the key essence here it to convey a clear message to the viewer of the true connection between a mother and son (baby). I could have easily photoshop that away or get someone (maybe a model) with a perfect hand/fingers, but I want to keep it as original/true as possible for such picture to capture the "time".

That is my thought.

Thanks pinholecam for your comments. I do understand that I can work more on the direction of the baby's eye such that he is looking at the finger/hand as mentioned by a few other CS member.

As for whether anyone is able to tell that it is a lady's hand from the photo, I do agree on point #1, probably I can work more on the hand placement.Point #2, may or not be good as it be a "distraction" if it is not done correctly. Point #3, note that this is not a paid shoot with a model, the key essence here it to convey a clear message to the viewer of the true connection between a mother and son (baby). I could have easily photoshop that away or get someone (maybe a model) with a perfect hand/fingers, but I want to keep it as original/true as possible for such picture to capture the "time".

That is my thought.
    Actually, totally agree with you.
    Really no offense intended as said before.
    Even the best shots will have comments

I totally understand Really appreciate your comments. I will continue to take note of these little details.

Thanks rubberbands for your comment. Sorry what does "OT" means? Thanks for point that out. For the message on the picture, I can shift it easily or reduce the font size a little without having to change the message. I also think that if the eyes of the baby can look toward the direction of the hand, it will be better.
    Oh it is not really a photographic issue and quite minor (like the watermark that is cyan colour) so its abitt Off Topic

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post

This is quite a detailed explanation and I will keep this in mind too. Thanks!