Thread: Need help .Which lens to choose

Question Need help .Which lens to choose

Hi Iím having trouble to decide which lens to buy for macro.
    I have heard some say that no necessary to buy a macro lens to shoot insect or plant .Can use telephoto lens to shot macro too by add ext tubes.
    What about the sharpness and the quality. Which is better?
    By comparing with 180mm sigma macro, the 50-500mm sigma or 70-200mm. which one would you recommends.
    True macro lens can reach 1:1 ratio .Is it very important, and what do you mean by reaching 1:1 ratio?
    Can 50-500m do so by zooming to 500mm to the same subject.
    Which is better?
    Thank you

A 1:1 reproduction ratio simply means that the size of the object you are shooting is exactly that reproduced on the camera sensor or negative. Thus if you are at 1:1 and shooting a 10 cents coin, if you measure the image on the sensor/negative (and NOT the picture), the size of the image on the sensor/negative is exactly as if you put a 10 cent coin directly on top.

A dedicated macro lens are highly precise and have highly corrected optics to ensure flat field sharpness (essential for copying work). Since it can achieve closeup ranges by itself without modification, it's preferable to use a dedicated macro lens if you can. Using extension tubes and closeup filters would inevitably lead to some quality loss (light fall off with extension, and distortion, chromatic aberration with filters), and unless your starting lens is really superb, the macro lens would have a slight edge.

If you want the best quality, go for the dedicated macro lens, such as the nikkor micro series. But they are not exactly cheap. There are cheaper options, which may produce okay okay results. The question must first be whether you are sure you like macro in the first place.

To see what are the options available, see:
    http://www.nikonians.org/html/resour...o/macro_1.html

Thanks for your reply jumbocrab and justarius.
    Yes i love macros photography alot . Actually i lave a sigma 70-300 apo 2 marco lens and a ext tube.But i found that sometime the pics is rather soft . he he ,may be i need to brush up my skills .
    I also know that they are very expensive
    That why i have chose the sigma 180mm macro which cost less than 1k grey item .After reading the john shaw's close up in nature , it really make you want to shoot more.
    Any other way is using two lens to stack it together .which i have not try .
    So i have decded to buy the true marco lens .
    Thanks again . see you

do note that soft pictures are usually due to camera shake which may need to be elminated using tripods and cable/wired release and not a new lens.

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    do note that soft pictures are usually due to camera shake which may need to be elminated using tripods and cable/wired release and not a new lens.
    Yes i have beening using tripod more of the times.May be i sometime expect too much from myself.Alway have the thinking of upgrading of equipment could help but did not have the understanding how to maximize of your equipment.
    D70,SB800,AFD10.5mm f2.8,AFS17-35mm f2.8,50mm f1.8,AFD105 mm f2.8,Panasonic DVX102B ...

Quote Originally Posted by xiaochew
    That why i have chose the sigma 180mm macro which cost less than 1k grey item .After reading the john shaw's close up in nature , it really make you want to shoot more.
    Any other way is using two lens to stack it together .which i have not try .
    So i have decded to buy the true marco lens .
    Thanks again . see you
    OT: yes, John Shaw's books are excellent! I own 'Nature Photography Field Guide' and I derive alot of my techniques and stuff from it

Quote Originally Posted by justarius
    OT: yes, John Shaw's books are excellent! I own 'Nature Photography Field Guide' and I derive alot of my techniques and stuff from it
    Ha Ha HA i have the same book book too. ya man
    D70,SB800,AFD10.5mm f2.8,AFS17-35mm f2.8,50mm f1.8,AFD105 mm f2.8,Panasonic DVX102B ...