Thread: Confusion with DX lenses on DX body

Default Confusion with DX lenses on DX body

Normally, FX lenses put on DX bodies will result in 1.5x longer focal distance. How about lenses that is designed for DX? I talked to my friend, and he told me to take portraits at 85mm, as it is equivalent to 135mm on FX. But what I have is Tamron 55-200, and it says "designed for APS-C camera sensors...". So, should I take portraits at 85mm or 135mm with that lens?

Default Re: Confusion with DX lenses on DX body

Quote Originally Posted by quanganht View Post
    Normally, FX lenses put on DX bodies will result in 1.5x longer focal distance. How about lenses that is designed for DX? I talked to my friend, and he told me to take portraits at 85mm, as it is equivalent to 135mm on FX. But what I have is Tamron 55-200, and it says "designed for APS-C camera sensors...". So, should I take portraits at 85mm or 135mm with that lens?
    The crop factor will remain. Its just that DX lenses is designed such that the image circle is smaller and is only enough to cover a cropped sensor.

the focal lengths are with respect to 35mm (FX)
    with DX lens, you still have to x1.5 on your DX bodies.
    It's just that DX lens have lesser glass, as it only needs to cover the smaller sensors in DX bodies as compared to FX lenses on FX bodies.

Thanks guys for your answers