Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Picture Taking rules

  1. #1
    Volkl
    Guests

    Default Picture Taking rules

    What is the Singapore law about taking pictures in public - is there one?

    I was taking some pictures of a restaurant (about 10 shots) from the outside, at night, without flash. I wanted to get the signboard and the fluorescent tubes.

    After I was done, I waited for the food (it was a take-out). Then a man came over and told me NOT to take pictures because he and girl friend did not want their pictures to be taken. But he was nice about it, wasn't making a big fuss.

    Is there a law/ruling about taking pictures in public area, and can I go to jail for this?

    Thanks.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Picture Taking rules

    Public area, generally no. You cannot take pictures inside shopping malls or inside shops, but anywhere else should be fine.

    If anyone approaches you and tell you they don't like their photos being taken, just show them the shots you took, if they are uncomfortable with them, delete them. If they are not, you can just keep them. As long as you don't specifically only take pictures of the same people, you should be fine.

  3. #3
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Re: Picture Taking rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
    What is the Singapore law about taking pictures in public - is there one?

    I was taking some pictures of a restaurant (about 10 shots) from the outside, at night, without flash. I wanted to get the signboard and the fluorescent tubes.

    After I was done, I waited for the food (it was a take-out). Then a man came over and told me NOT to take pictures because he and girl friend did not want their pictures to be taken. But he was nice about it, wasn't making a big fuss.

    Is there a law/ruling about taking pictures in public area, and can I go to jail for this?

    Thanks.
    From my understanding, anything which is in full public view, you're able to take photos.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Picture Taking rules

    I don't think so. Most people would care less.

  5. #5
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,929
    Blog Entries
    26
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  6. #6

    Default Re: Picture Taking rules

    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    ...if they are uncomfortable with them, delete them...
    i have to slightly disagree with this.. if they are uncomfortable, you are the one who still have the right to delete or not to delete.. if you don't want to delete it, it's still fine, it's your personal intellectual property.. if they force you to delete, then you can report them to the police for physical attack (if they ever lay a finger on you) or infringement of intellectual property rights (if they deleted your photo without your permission).. anyone and anything on PUBLIC grounds can be photographed freely.. (but of course we must use some common sense and respect)
    - troubled undergrad -
    Olympus XA/Canon QL17 GIII flickr

  7. #7

    Default Re: Picture Taking rules

    Quote Originally Posted by bayusuputra View Post
    i have to slightly disagree with this.. if they are uncomfortable, you are the one who still have the right to delete or not to delete.. if you don't want to delete it, it's still fine, it's your personal intellectual property.. if they force you to delete, then you can report them to the police for physical attack (if they ever lay a finger on you) or infringement of intellectual property rights (if they deleted your photo without your permission).. anyone and anything on PUBLIC grounds can be photographed freely.. (but of course we must use some common sense and respect)
    I understand that the photographer has the creative right to the photographs he/she takes, and nobody has the right to forcefully request the photographer to delete their photographs. However, it is more a matter of an act of goodwill when I delete my photographs if people feel uncomfortable with them.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Picture Taking rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
    After I was done, I waited for the food (it was a take-out). Then a man came over and told me NOT to take pictures because he and girl friend did not want their pictures to be taken. But he was nice about it, wasn't making a big fuss.
    "hey, e feeling is mutual, i dun wan ur pic taken as well, but u and e girl were there for yonks, so i llst"

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: Picture Taking rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
    Then a man came over and told me NOT to take pictures because he and girl friend did not want their pictures to be taken. But he was nice about it, wasn't making a big fuss.
    Is there witness protection program in Singapore?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Picture Taking rules

    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    I understand that the photographer has the creative right to the photographs he/she takes, and nobody has the right to forcefully request the photographer to delete their photographs. However, it is more a matter of an act of goodwill when I delete my photographs if people feel uncomfortable with them.
    yup, this is what i meant.. it is up to you whether you want or don't want to delete.. but the ultimate decision lies on you still.. no one can force you to delete them, unless they have court order.. even the policemen can't ask you.. it is similar to detention without authorisation letter..
    - troubled undergrad -
    Olympus XA/Canon QL17 GIII flickr

  11. #11

    Default Re: Picture Taking rules

    Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    Is there witness protection program in Singapore?
    Huh? Witness Protection Program just because someone thought TS took their photo? what logic is that?

    you read too much Tom Clancy

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: Picture Taking rules

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    Huh? Witness Protection Program just because someone thought TS took their photo? what logic is that?

    you read too much Tom Clancy
    Relax lah. The question is tongue-in-cheek

  13. #13
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Picture Taking rules

    Precisely, where's out first amendment rights?

    Oh, wait a minute...
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  14. #14

    Default Re: Picture Taking rules

    Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    Relax lah. The question is tongue-in-cheek
    online i can't see that. post an image please

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Precisely, where's out first amendment rights?

    Oh, wait a minute...
    we're in south africa

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •