Thread: Picture Taking rules

Volkl
    Guests

Default Picture Taking rules

What is the Singapore law about taking pictures in public - is there one?

I was taking some pictures of a restaurant (about 10 shots) from the outside, at night, without flash. I wanted to get the signboard and the fluorescent tubes.

After I was done, I waited for the food (it was a take-out). Then a man came over and told me NOT to take pictures because he and girl friend did not want their pictures to be taken. But he was nice about it, wasn't making a big fuss.

Is there a law/ruling about taking pictures in public area, and can I go to jail for this?

Thanks.

Default Re: Picture Taking rules

Public area, generally no. You cannot take pictures inside shopping malls or inside shops, but anywhere else should be fine.

If anyone approaches you and tell you they don't like their photos being taken, just show them the shots you took, if they are uncomfortable with them, delete them. If they are not, you can just keep them. As long as you don't specifically only take pictures of the same people, you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
    What is the Singapore law about taking pictures in public - is there one?

I was taking some pictures of a restaurant (about 10 shots) from the outside, at night, without flash. I wanted to get the signboard and the fluorescent tubes.

After I was done, I waited for the food (it was a take-out). Then a man came over and told me NOT to take pictures because he and girl friend did not want their pictures to be taken. But he was nice about it, wasn't making a big fuss.

Is there a law/ruling about taking pictures in public area, and can I go to jail for this?

Thanks.
    From my understanding, anything which is in full public view, you're able to take photos.

I don't think so. Most people would care less.

Blog Entries
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    ...if they are uncomfortable with them, delete them...
    i have to slightly disagree with this.. if they are uncomfortable, you are the one who still have the right to delete or not to delete.. if you don't want to delete it, it's still fine, it's your personal intellectual property.. if they force you to delete, then you can report them to the police for physical attack (if they ever lay a finger on you) or infringement of intellectual property rights (if they deleted your photo without your permission).. anyone and anything on PUBLIC grounds can be photographed freely.. (but of course we must use some common sense and respect)
    - troubled undergrad -
    Olympus XA/Canon QL17 GIII flickr

Quote Originally Posted by bayusuputra View Post
    i have to slightly disagree with this.. if they are uncomfortable, you are the one who still have the right to delete or not to delete.. if you don't want to delete it, it's still fine, it's your personal intellectual property.. if they force you to delete, then you can report them to the police for physical attack (if they ever lay a finger on you) or infringement of intellectual property rights (if they deleted your photo without your permission).. anyone and anything on PUBLIC grounds can be photographed freely.. (but of course we must use some common sense and respect)
    I understand that the photographer has the creative right to the photographs he/she takes, and nobody has the right to forcefully request the photographer to delete their photographs. However, it is more a matter of an act of goodwill when I delete my photographs if people feel uncomfortable with them.

"hey, e feeling is mutual, i dun wan ur pic taken as well, but u and e girl were there for yonks, so i llst"

Then a man came over and told me NOT to take pictures because he and girl friend did not want their pictures to be taken. But he was nice about it, wasn't making a big fuss.
    Is there witness protection program in Singapore?

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    I understand that the photographer has the creative right to the photographs he/she takes, and nobody has the right to forcefully request the photographer to delete their photographs. However, it is more a matter of an act of goodwill when I delete my photographs if people feel uncomfortable with them.
    yup, this is what i meant.. it is up to you whether you want or don't want to delete.. but the ultimate decision lies on you still.. no one can force you to delete them, unless they have court order.. even the policemen can't ask you.. it is similar to detention without authorisation letter..
    - troubled undergrad -
    Olympus XA/Canon QL17 GIII flickr

Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    Is there witness protection program in Singapore?
    Huh? Witness Protection Program just because someone thought TS took their photo? what logic is that?

you read too much Tom Clancy

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    Huh? Witness Protection Program just because someone thought TS took their photo? what logic is that?

you read too much Tom Clancy
    Relax lah. The question is tongue-in-cheek

Precisely, where's out first amendment rights?

Oh, wait a minute...
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    Relax lah. The question is tongue-in-cheek
    online i can't see that. post an image please

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Precisely, where's out first amendment rights?

Oh, wait a minute...
    we're in south africa