Thread: Playing with 50mm

Default Playing with 50mm

Hello! Just got my first prime lens! Canon 50mm f1.8
    Do u guys have any recommendations on how do I start using it effectively?

Default Re: Playing with 50mm

just use like how you use other lens?
    well you can start by playing with the depth of field shooting at f/1.8

Quote Originally Posted by icy55 View Post
    ask your boy friend to be your model, and play with the DOP. It will give a very nice Bokeh.

DOF* not DOP
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

I also got this lens a month ago as my 2nd lens after the 18-55mm IS kit lens.

I must say that the 50mm focal length needs alot of getting used to as I find myself having to stay pretty far back for most shots.

You start using it effectively when you err...mount it on your camera and use it?

Really, the more you use it, the more you will find ways to make the lens fit your style, or form your style based on that lens. The more practise you have with the lens, the more effectively you will be able to use it.

Typical BBB infection: buying first then asking what to do with it. Take pictures, learn to use the field of view and depth of field.
    EOS

just to share my experience when i 1st tried 50mm F1.8 lens.
    most of the lens are unable to produce extremely sharpness at their respective largest aperture =)

But it's still fun to play with the bokeh when you first got the lens =)
    http://www.akkuaphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by akszaksz View Post
    just to share my experience when i 1st tried 50mm F1.8 lens.
    most of the lens are unable to produce extremely sharpness at their respective largest aperture =)

But it's still fun to play with the bokeh when you first got the lens =)
    is there a difference between the 50mm f1.8 & 50mm f1.8 II? the bokeh at f1.8 is a pentagon, are there any ways to improve/smoothen it?
    Canon EOS 600D | EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Raynox DCR-250

Quote Originally Posted by hermes76 View Post
    is there a difference between the 50mm f1.8 & 50mm f1.8 II? the bokeh at f1.8 is a pentagon, are there any ways to improve/smoothen it?
    shoot wide open..
    but getting things into focus would be a challenge then..
    Canon 550D | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6IS | EF 50mm f/1.8II |
    My Humble Flickr

That is because there are only 5 non-rounded aperture blades in the lens, that's why the blurred light points are pentagonal. Nothing much you can do with the lens itself but you can blur it further or smoothen out during PP.

If you are referring to making the pentagon circular, I don't think it's possible due to the aperture blade design
    Last edited by SkyStrike; 21st April 2011 at 10:39 AM.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

so what is a perfect bokeh? a perfect circular bokeh? since it's the lens design, does this means that the more expensive lens should have more aperture blades?
    Canon EOS 600D | EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Raynox DCR-250

so what is a perfect bokeh? a perfect circular bokeh? since it's the lens design, does this means that the more expensive lens should have more aperture blades?
    Depends, most people prefer rounded blurs and not only expensive lenses have 9 blades. There's a comparison of the different 50mm lenses canon have here in terms of background blur

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/r...ns-review.aspx

Dun have a Canon 50/1.8II, but wide open (at f1.8) the aperture blades are completely out of the way -- your OOF highlights should therefore be circular, not pentagonal.
    And just to preempt any misunderstanding, bokeh is the quality of the OOF blur, not the amount, not the shape of the aperture blades. For a nice technical description - http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/bokeh.htm
    The earlier Canon 50/1.8 had a metal mount and a focus distance window, removed in the mark II. Mark I's are rare and generally seem to fetch more on the used market. IIRC they are the same optically.
    In answer to the TS' original question - the way to use the lens 'effectively' is to mount it on a camera and take photos! Whatever you like. Of course the large aperture lets you play around with shallow DOF / low-light handheld shots, if you like that sort of thing
    Last edited by Edwin Francis; 21st April 2011 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hermes76

Btw, the pattern caused by the blades will only show up when u stop down.. at wide open, it'll be circular.. u can try it..
    Canon 550D | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6IS | EF 50mm f/1.8II |
    My Humble Flickr

Is there an effective distance that you should shoot from? it is pretty damn hard to shoot close up! =X

every lens has its minimum focusing distance. check the manual or online.
    Nikon D700| 70-200mm f/2.8G VR2| 28-70mm f/2.8D| 85mm f/1.8G| 50mm f/1.8G| SB900/SB28| MB-D10

Quote Originally Posted by Diluted View Post
    Btw, the pattern caused by the blades will only show up when u stop down.. at wide open, it'll be circular.. u can try it..
    Didn't know that....I was fiddling with my friend's 50mm I think i stopped down, cos for me, f1.8 is pretty hard to use.

Is there an effective distance that you should shoot from? it is pretty damn hard to shoot close up! =X
    if you are referring to Min Focus Dist, it's 45cm from subject, so, it's not really ideal for closeup unless attached with a close up filter (e.g. Raynox or Hoya close up filters)/tube to reduce the min focus dist
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]