Thread: Any Tablet PC able to read/write to and from external hdd?

Default Any Tablet PC able to read/write to and from external hdd?

So far, I haven't been able to find any that can do this but I'm sure there must be something that exists that can do this... the china people make all kinds of electronics.
    I don't need a very high specs or great one. Mainly used to transfer photos to ext hdd during travel and surf net, check mail, upload stuff to websites, write some texts now and then. Wifi is a must. Good battery life very important. Smaller and lighter is better. Generally quite basic. Mainly used when travelling.
    Anyone knows of anything and can recommend?
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

Default Re: Any Tablet PC able to read/write to and from external hdd?

You can consider getting a netbook. Asus eeepc start at 399. Ext hdd draws power from the usb connection and many tablets that have a usb connection don't provide enough juice. Carrying around ext hdd with a tablet is also less elegant than just using a netbook which has everything in one.

Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    write some texts now and then.
    So you're not really looking for a Tablet PC, you're looking for a convergence device like the Samsung Galaxy tab. Maybe the HTC Flyer will suit you better, but honestly, you're better off bringing a laptop. Cheaper and far more powerful/versatile too.
    Alpha

Asus EEE slate? Runs win7 so should be able to access an external HDD.

http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_...specifications

Quote Originally Posted by victorlee10 View Post
    You can consider getting a netbook. Asus eeepc start at 399. Ext hdd draws power from the usb connection and many tablets that have a usb connection don't provide enough juice. Carrying around ext hdd with a tablet is also less elegant than just using a netbook which has everything in one.
    I will still carry an external hdd no matter using tablet or netbook because netbook max hdd is 320 gb and I'm afraid that's not enough.
    In any case, the hdd is a backup for data even if there is another storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    So you're not really looking for a Tablet PC, you're looking for a convergence device like the Samsung Galaxy tab. Maybe the HTC Flyer will suit you better, but honestly, you're better off bringing a laptop. Cheaper and far more powerful/versatile too.
    I thought Galaxy tab is a tablet?
    I did think of bringing a netbook too.
    Since I am not looking for something high powered for doing simple tasks, do you know where's a good place to get cheap 2nd hand ones?

Quote Originally Posted by 2evans View Post
    Asus EEE slate? Runs win7 so should be able to access an external HDD.
    http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_...specifications
    At over 1kg, I'd rather go for a netbook.
    The only reason for getting a tablet is to cut down on weight and size.
    But thanks. Looks like a neat tablet. At least it has different ports.... not like uhem.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff
    So far, I haven't been able to find any that can do this but I'm sure there must be something that exists that can do this... the china people make all kinds of electronics.
    I don't need a very high specs or great one. Mainly used to transfer photos to ext hdd during travel and surf net, check mail, upload stuff to websites, write some texts now and then. Wifi is a must. Good battery life very important. Smaller and lighter is better. Generally quite basic. Mainly used when travelling.
    Anyone knows of anything and can recommend?
    Arches 101 can connect to external HDD and run files, but don't know if can write. Google?

Otherwise, seems like a net book is your best bet.

ipad + camera connection kit + cloud access or ftp or remote desktop. The external hdd stays home plugged in to your pc to receive. You can pull files from your hdd/home pc too.

Asus EEE Transformer. Android tablet running Honeycomb that supports external HDD. Use it as a tablet or dock to a keyboard and turn it into a netbook.

If budget not a big problem, MacBook Air 11.3" or 13.3".

Pros:
    (1) lightweight, ~1kg
    (2) has USB ports, can connect ext. HDD, cameras, etc
    (3) has WIFI, can surf, check mail, upload/download
    (4) has a QWERTY keyboard, not just touch screen
    (5) excellent battery life considering size/weight, at least 4-5 hours, >30 hours standby
    (6) can do some decent work with applications, word processing, PS, Lightroom, etc etc etc
    (7) finally, it's an APPLE! Cult factor +10

Cons:
    (1) cost small arm and small leg

note: I consider MBA a big tablet