Thread: Flash Photography

Default Flash Photography

Hi,

Like to find out something about flash photography. The camera automatically sets the shutter speed to 1/60s but i prefer 1/30s for more ambient lighting. Can i just set the settings manually, say f5.6 & 1/30s and lets the Flash TTL handles everything?

When you do a fill in flash, how many stop do you compensate? I using a minolta SLR system, usually set to -1.5 to -2 stops, anyone did a test?

Anyone tried using a pocket bounce or a omni bounce? I now that it saps away the batteries but how many stops does it cuts down? I haven't done a comparision but i usually use my home made bounce card! (smaller and easier to handle)

Will appreciate if you have any advise or comments.

Hello Kueko,

Yes you can. You can set any shutter speed that is at or lower then your camera's flash sync speed. For example, if the flash sync speed of your camera is 1/125s, you can use shutter priority mode and set the speed to anything 1/125s or slower. The camera will set the aperture and perform TTL flash accordingly.

As for fill flash, it all depends on the lighting condition. I normally use -1ev for subject under bright sunny day, and -2ev for overcast day.

Hope that helps.

Hi kueko...

i also using minolta system.... usually if i use fill-in flash in day-light condition u can do compensation...but its better for u to check ur camera metering....

ex:
    if i using 200mm lens....without flash i still can get 1/200 shutter speed....then i try to reduced the flash power, so the fill-in flash is not stronger then day-light (look more natural).... usually i used -0.5 to -1.0....but last saturday when shooting model at hereen, i try to used -2.0....haven't see the result yet.

-Andre

Default Re: Flash Photography

Originally posted by kueko
    Hi,

Like to find out something about flash photography. The camera automatically sets the shutter speed to 1/60s but i prefer 1/30s for more ambient lighting. Can i just set the settings manually, say f5.6 & 1/30s and lets the Flash TTL handles everything?

When you do a fill in flash, how many stop do you compensate? I using a minolta SLR system, usually set to -1.5 to -2 stops, anyone did a test?

Anyone tried using a pocket bounce or a omni bounce? I now that it saps away the batteries but how many stops does it cuts down? I haven't done a comparision but i usually use my home made bounce card! (smaller and easier to handle)

Will appreciate if you have any advise or comments.
    For my personal preference, for indoor flash, I usually use ISO 320, and where possible, a shutter speed/aperture combi which is 2 stops under the ambient lighting. If this is not possible, I use a shutter speed of 1/30 and aperture of around f/4 to 5.6.

Pocket bouncer did not give me very good results (still a little harsh) and the Omnibounce doesn't really help when there's no ceiling. I still use a cheapo corrugated plastic sheet as a bounce card, which still gives me better results than any of the commercially available light modifiers. Tilted 60-75 up, it gives very good results.

Indoors, I just let the camera/flash TTL determine exposure. So far, this has worked well 99% of the time. No compensation is required. If your ambient light is bright enough for you NOT to use flash, then you can dial in a flash exposure compensation of -1 to 1.5 to fill in. From experience, -2 is too weak.

This is the typical result I get using the bounce card, NPH 400 @ EI 320, 1/30s at f/5.6.

Scanned from the negative using a Frontier digital minilab. A bit oversharpened tho.

Regards
    CK

Thanks for all the feedbacks...

ckiang, thanks for sharing your photos and tips! I also prefer using a bounce card tilt 60-75 degree. NPH looks very natural in this shot! How much is 1 roll? Is it good for tea ceremony and dinner as well? Now, considering between NPH and Press 800. What EI do you rate the press 800. I have tried Supra 800, but still finds it slightly grainy when enlarge to 8R.

Will like to hear more for you expert out there

Originally posted by kueko
    Thanks for all the feedbacks...

ckiang, thanks for sharing your photos and tips! I also prefer using a bounce card tilt 60-75 degree. NPH looks very natural in this shot! How much is 1 roll? Is it good for tea ceremony and dinner as well? Now, considering between NPH and Press 800. What EI do you rate the press 800. I have tried Supra 800, but still finds it slightly grainy when enlarge to 8R.

Will like to hear more for you expert out there
    NPH costs around $6.80 per roll, Press 800 about $6.50. I usually rate Press 800 at EI 640. Tea Ceremony is quite doable with NPH under typical HDB + outside daylight streaming into the room. Press 800 will let you achieve a better balance between flash and ambient exposure, esp. if lighting conditions are dim. Have not tried enlarging to 8R.

Regards
    CK