Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SFW04-'Live' studio photo shoots

So, is it reasonable to expect that next weekend's demo will be on time? Although I did not attend last weekend's, i thank the organising committee of SFW for fresh and bold idea to include 'live' photo shoot in its many programmes. Kudos!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Went there today, learnt nothing at all.
    There's nothing u can learn there that u don't already know.
    Advice is don't waste your time.
    It may be your experience but you can't possibly use it as a basis to advise others 'don't waste your time'.

I think 'u' should be aptly replaced with 'i'.
    Last edited by reachme2003; 23rd August 2004 at 08:47 AM.

tuck loong, "fantastic job" is an overstatement.
    don't get me wrong, I think it's fabulous that these people took the time to come down
    the rest of the shows did not start on time either, and if you think 10 minutes is only a short amount of time then perhaps the organisers don't take enough pride in the events they organise

what I was disappointed in was that there was barely any interaction between the whole team and the people viewing. we can SEE what the make up artist is doing and what the photographer is doing
    but we don't get any better explanation from them.
    Make up, hair styling, photography is intricate and having them explain the logic behind the way they do the hair in a certain way, why the make up artist applies a darker blusher on the cheekbone area, things like that, would help to make the session more useful than people just looking at other people quietly doing their work.

And no, having an MC say "the make up artist is applying make up on the model now" is NOT an example of useful information.

I don't think I was the only person who was bored standing there watching the model being made up and then bored watching the phtoographer just shooting the model, all in silence. I see that on television all the time.
    And even television shows of fashion shoots have voiceovers.

I think it'll be great if each member in the team just had the chance to talk abit about what they're doing, because I'm sure alot of us photographers are not fully aware of the importance and logic behind the certain things make up artists, stylists and hairstylists do. and i'm sure alot of people are not fully aware that a fashion photographer is not just anybody who just stands there are presses a button.

I'm sure many people appreciate it. I was thrilled to see that there was going to be this event. that's why I sound so bitter about it because I was extremely disappointed by what I felt was a last minute job.

a bad show is a bad show, you can give all the excuses in the world but the general public doesn't care even if a hurricane killed off the photographer while he was rushing there, what matters is that the show was late and it was not as informative as it could have been
    and don't automatically expect people to "interact", if it was meant to be an interactive program and people didn't know and effort was not taken to let it be known and if they did not interact then it's not the people's fault.

max007007
    it's not just the photographer who must be taken into consideration with all the photography (I personally don't think it's a big deal to shoot without flash)
    but it is so bloody irritating for the public viewers to come and watch a demonstration by a professional team and end up getting ten flashes going off and the model posing for the crowd rather than doing what she was supposed to do and pose for the photographer
    I guess each person has their different opinion of what is acceptable and what is not, but perhaps photographers need to consider these things beforehand. question of ethics and a sort of social responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck Loong
    As the lighting sponsor for the event "Fashion Now", I would like to commend on some of the things that happened in the last 2 days. I hope you guys can appreciate the efforts of the organising committee. They did a fanstastic job for the last 2 days.

To begin with:

1) The models on the first show was stuck in a fashion show that started late and hence they did not make it for the 2pm shoot. This was unforseen and the organiser managed to find replacement models within 15 mins of notification by the original models at 2.30 pm as models don't answer calls while they are walking the runway.

2) The concept put forward for this shoot is to showcase several stuff:
    a) The "teamwork" required for a successful Fashion Shoot, starting from model, makeup, hairstyle, fashion styling, concept (props), setting up of lighting, Digital Touch Ups and final printing.
    b) Interactions between the public and the fashion photographers, stylist and all those invloved.

Just to share a few things, I think it takes a lot of effort for these people to take time off their busy schedule to attend the "free awareness" programme for this new programme for the Singapore Fashion Week. As this is not a presentation where public entertainment licencing is required, the organisers were hoping for the public to actively interact with the fashion photographers, stylist, makeup artists, hairstylist and even the model. For those who have interacted with us, I am sure we would definitely answer any questions you guys have. Like how the Broncolor Para works for Fashion and portrait photography etc etc, it is seldom we take this light out to showcase to fellow photographers. For those that are interested to try, I would have gladly accepted the opportunity to demo on the spot for the lights =)

Please try to appreciate the organisers a bit more so we can have more opportunities to share our experiences with other fellow stylists, hairstylists and makeup artists in such public and free events. Its really a pity if this is the one and only time where Fashion shoots are being conducted in the SFW.

Lightbulb

Tuck Loong, I have a suggestion. In the interest of making next week's session more interactive and informative, feedback from CS may be brought up to the attention of the organiser and incorporated, where apporpriate, into this week's session. So that the members of the public, including people from the photographic community, can gain greater insights and understanding into the behind-the-scene of a fashion photo shoot. Perhaps, a Q & A session at the end to provide opportunity for queries to to be answered.

I have another suggestion. As the no-photography rule idoes not seem to be effective, please allow photography without flash. Again in the interest of all parties.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    It may be your experience but you can't possibly use it as a basis to advise others 'don't waste your time'.

I think 'u' should be aptly replaced with 'i'.
    if u didn't go, then how can u judge? if u want to go, by all means go. i'm not holding anyone back at gun point.

Deregistered

if u didn't go, then how can u judge? if u want to go, by all means go. i'm not holding anyone back at gun point.
    chill, chill.

Few working professionals are as well versed as teachers as they are in what they do. To expect a point to point running dialog while he/she is working is a little over expectation. Look , see and learn - if you do not find out what is it they are doing. Do understand make up - ask your gf, sister, mother whatever.

Hats off to people who go through the hassle of organising these free inforamtion session =- thankles task. Given that 85% who come just want to shoot a set up done by some one else.

Kudos to the organizing committee for the 'LIVE' shoot!
    I think the idea is fanastic ... and looking forward to attending this week 'LIVE' shot. Certainly hope it be a regular feature for our annual SFW shows.

It might not be perfect, but I think constructive suggestions (instead of criticism) will be more helpful to improve the events furthur .

Personally, I like to applaud the organizer, models, photographers etc etc for taking their precious to make it happen.

from photographer perspective (perhaps it could entertain the public as well), may I suggest if it's possible to hook the camera to the computer so that results can be displayed for viewing immediately during photoshoot.
    Last edited by zOOm; 23rd August 2004 at 11:23 PM.

Lightbulb

Firstly, am i judging?

Secondly, maybe you learnt nothing at the session and concluded it as a waste of time. But your initlal posting is perceived by me as discouraging others from going. It is so precisely because you had chosen 'u' over 'i'! By using 'u', you are saying that if anyone goes, you will not learn anything, thus a waste of time.

Firstly, am i judging?

Secondly, maybe you learnt nothing at the session and concluded it as a waste of time. But your initlal posting is perceived by me as discouraging others from going. It is so precisely because you had chosen 'u' over 'i'! By using 'u', you are saying that if anyone goes, you will not learn anything, thus a waste of time.
    Ok. u win.
    u're correct, i'm wrong.
    no pt arguing with u here.

& no, pls do not replace the 'u' here with 'i'.

Quote Originally Posted by insomia
    Few working professionals are as well versed as teachers as they are in what they do. To expect a point to point running dialog while he/she is working is a little over expectation. Look , see and learn - if you do not find out what is it they are doing. Do understand make up - ask your gf, sister, mother whatever.

Hats off to people who go through the hassle of organising these free inforamtion session =- thankles task. Given that 85% who come just want to shoot a set up done by some one else.
    Very good point here... credit should go at least for the effort.. and especially if it is for free... we should learn to be more appreciative ..

In conjunction with SFW04, Wee Khim will conduct 'live' studio photo shoots at Millenia Walk on 21, 22, 28 and 29 Aug(Sat and Sun) at 2 and 5pm.
    Are you sure that Mr Wee Khim was the photographer or the LIVE shoot?

Mr Wee Khim didn't turn up but Darren did.

Darren (Soh) was there too? hahaha... okie..

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by vine
    Are you sure that Mr Wee Khim was the photographer or the LIVE shoot?
    Gee, I was not at last week's session. Could someone present at the session pls confirm if it was Wee Khim or Darren (which one)?

Default yup its darren..

it was darren... i was there.. well i enjoyed lookin at the huge flash.. kinda double my ht.. hehe..well it would be nice to have a live commentry on the rationale behind the choices they make intakin a good photo..hmm..

thanks for the confirmation.

Default hope

it'll be great if wee khim comes.. lovely work he has done...

Lightbulb

Thank you for your postings. I was there this afternoon at about 2pm. A photographer named Lim Wee (pardon typographical error, if any) from SPH used a ringlight from Broncolor and set up a box light to shoot. A female model from Mongolia and a local male model were there to pose for the intended photographer. Along with makeup artist and fashion stylist, (which I was not so sure while I was there.)

I noted that the organiser did not restrict photography, flash or no flash. Although the crowd was dismal, I believe that who those turned up supported the fresh and bold ldea of introducing 'live' studio photoshoot. It would be great if they could make known the names of photographer/s in advance.

Another suggestion, again. More interaction would make it more rewarding for members of the public who took the trouble to show up.

I will attempt to post some pics from this afternoon's session in due course. (i am using my wife's laptop now). Could those who were at last week's session post some pics for us to share, please. Thank you very much.

Anyway, bravos to the organiser, again.

Thank you for your postings. I was there this afternoon at about 2pm. A photographer named Lim Wee (pardon typographical error, if any) from SPH used a ringlight from Broncolor and set up a box light to shoot. A female model from Mongolia and a local male model were there to pose for the intended photographer. Along with makeup artist and fashion stylist, (which I was not so sure while I was there.)

I noted that the organiser did not restrict photography, flash or no flash. Although the crowd was dismal, I believe that who those turned up supported the fresh and bold ldea of introducing 'live' studio photoshoot. It would be great if they could make known the names of photographer/s in advance.

Another suggestion, again. More interaction would make it more rewarding for members of the public who took the trouble to show up.

I will attempt to post some pics from this afternoon's session in due course. (i am using my wife's laptop now). Could those who were at last week's session post some pics for us to share, please. Thank you very much.

Anyway, bravos to the organiser, again.
    Glad you enjoyed it. The photographer was Lynn Lee, she works for SPH and shoots for Her World and Shape magazine. Lights were Broncolor. Makeup artist was Vanessa. The model was Sugi from Mangolia.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast