Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moon shots gone wrong

Default Re: Moon shots gone wrong

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Keep on shooting, that's what we should do, and improve upon it each time.

It should be 100% on your image... I realised 210mm versus 400mm isn't too great of a difference on a full view.
    Ur's is nicer lor.. lol.

First time shooting the moon myself, I never realised it moved so fast... Pause a minute or two, it moved pretty far away from the center of the VF. Wait a bit more, it completely moved out of frame - always need to constantly re-adjust the framing for following shoots... Anyway, hope it was interesting for you as it was for me as a first time moon shooter.
    Yea, it was interesting and i super agree that the moon moves really fast. When i shot the first round, i did it from my corridor and the second time, i had to go down cuz the moon moved.

I'm so going to try a crescent moon next.. hehe..
    Last edited by Prince Photogenic; 17th April 2011 at 12:33 PM.
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic View Post
    Ur's is nicer lor.. lol.

Yea, it was interesting and i super agree that the moon moves really fast. When i shot the first round, i did it from my corridor and the second time, i had to go down cuz the moon moved.

I'm so going to try a crescent moon next.. hehe..
    Thanks for the kinds words,. Nicer or not, it does not matter..., what matters most is trying to figure out what will make the image sharper... I too started with what you've got the first time round. Refusing to give up, I kept meddling with the settings, shoot shoot and shoot (with a lot adjustments in between, and to compare between shots)... what you saw was maybe the 10th shot or so... What's the rush anyway, the moon maybe moving fast but NOT THAT fast...

Crescent moon eh? Might be interesting, but most of it are in the shadows leh...
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 17th April 2011 at 12:58 PM.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

Are the shots done in Manual Focus? I've tried using my 55-250 once and the AF don't seems to be able to "lock" on to the moon, therefore have to use MF ended up with a OOF image.... (plus the moon is soooooo small on the view finder)
    Last edited by SkyStrike; 17th April 2011 at 03:00 PM.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Are the shots done in Manual Focus? I've tried using my 55-250 once and the AF don't seems to be able to "lock" on to the moon, therefore have to use MF ended up with a OOF image.... (plus the moon is soooooo small on the view finder)
    I used AF first, then set the lens to manual focus - to prevent unnecessary hunting for subsequent shots. AF worked for me (at least in my case that is). Did you point directly at the moon, if you point at the empty space outside the moon, the AF will most likely not work - which is why I think the moon must be directly at the center (or at least where the Focus point is) for AF to work properly. Seniors feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 17th April 2011 at 03:23 PM.

I used AF first, then set the lens to manual focus - to prevent unnecessary hunting for subsequent shots. AF worked for me (at least in my case that is). Did you point directly at the moon, if you point at the empty space outside the moon, the AF will most likely not work - which is why I think the moon must be directly at the center (or at least where the Focus point is) for AF to work properly. Seniors feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    I was at 250mm end of the lens, Center AF point pointed at the moon, Center AF selected. But the moon is so small that it barely sit in the square of the center AF. Probably that's why the AF Failed. And I seldom use MF, and let alone MF on "small" objects... need more training with MF.

Am considering to use a Kenko Tele-converter on this 55-250 for future moon shots...don't know if these converters works for EF-S lens
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

when i shoot the moon, i use the 500mm Reflex Lens in A Mode (doesn't matter because the Mirror Lens is fixed at f8, but what i want is for the camera to calculate the Shutter Speed for me based on the metering on the moon)

1) Spot AF (because cross-type sensors at the Spot AF point are usually more sensitive cross-types)
    2) Spot Metering (to meter off the moon so the brightness will fall and i can see the details on the moon better)
    3) ISO400-800 (to get my Shutter Speed fast enough for the 1/Focal Length rule)

Spot AF. plus your shutter speed needs to be fast too. because the moon moves pretty fast. i use walls and other fixed objects to steady myself so i can place the spot AF/spot metering areas on the moon with less shake so it'll be more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    when i shoot the moon, i use the 500mm Reflex Lens in A Mode (doesn't matter because the Mirror Lens is fixed at f8, but what i want is for the camera to calculate the Shutter Speed for me based on the metering on the moon)

1) Spot AF (because cross-type sensors at the Spot AF point are usually more sensitive cross-types)
    2) Spot Metering (to meter off the moon so the brightness will fall and i can see the details on the moon better)
    3) ISO400-800 (to get my Shutter Speed fast enough for the 1/Focal Length rule)
    Yup my settings are all that except for 3... Were you shooting handheld? I was using a tripod.

Yup my settings are all that except for 3... Were you shooting handheld? I was using a tripod.
    yup hand held LOL..

Use a tripod, find a building like HDB flat nearby where you can access to the top floor and still have a view of the moon clearly.

If using a tripod then ISO set to the lowest, use live view and magnify 10x and use MF to get sharp image.

Another good thing about live view is it shows you whether your photo are over or under exposed LIVE.

If can go for Manual mode. If the sky is all dark with one small speck of moon then your camera auto metering will likely to over expose by quite a lot.

I like non full moon...gives a contrasty image.

Full moon added red tint for fun purpose

Used 500D Manual mode and 300mm + 1.4x extender...forgot the f stop I think is f8. Heavily cropped of course.
    Last edited by gundamseed84; 17th April 2011 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks for the kinds words,. Nicer or not, it does not matter..., what matters most is trying to figure out what will make the image sharper... I too started with what you've got the first time round. Refusing to give up, I kept meddling with the settings, shoot shoot and shoot (with a lot adjustments in between, and to compare between shots)... what you saw was maybe the 10th shot or so... What's the rush anyway, the moon maybe moving fast but NOT THAT fast...

Crescent moon eh? Might be interesting, but most of it are in the shadows leh...
    I spoke merely the truth =) Yea, most will be in the shadows but i thought it might be nice. I'm going to try anyway =P

I used AF too. aim at the moon..

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    yup hand held LOL..
    nah.. i rather use a tripod. I've got shaky hands..

Quote Originally Posted by gundamseed84 View Post
    Use a tripod, find a building like HDB flat nearby where you can access to the top floor and still have a view of the moon clearly.

If using a tripod then ISO set to the lowest, use live view and magnify 10x and use MF to get sharp image.

Another good thing about live view is it shows you whether your photo are over or under exposed LIVE.

If can go for Manual mode. If the sky is all dark with one small speck of moon then your camera auto metering will likely to over expose by quite a lot.

I like non full moon...gives a contrasty image.

Full moon added red tint for fun purpose

Used 500D Manual mode and 300mm + 1.4x extender...forgot the f stop I think is f8. Heavily cropped of course.
    My max is 210mm, but dun try to BBB poison me. lol. I'll try out the part on the building though.. thanks for that.
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

i've got shaky hands too.. but i follow the 1/focal length rule even with steady shot on

Nice moon tonight...

Not exactly good for photography, a 3/4 moon is better.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Nice moon tonight...

Not exactly good for photography, a 3/4 moon is better.
    Ur moon looks like the watermelon i cut last night.
    Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Guapo View Post
    Ur moon looks like the watermelon i cut last night.
    Nice.
    You have gray watermelons? Best to throw that away...
    Alpha

shot the moon 2 days ago:

shot this on monopod at 200mm, ISO at 400 n aperture size at f/5.6, plus it's heavily cropped. need a zoom lens with longer reach
    Last edited by Irvine; 20th April 2011 at 01:36 PM.
    Google is your friend. Make use of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Irvine View Post

shot this on monopod at 200mm, ISO at 400 n aperture size at f/5.6, plus it's heavily cropped. need a zoom lens with longer reach
    I was toying with the idea of using teleconverters instead of getting a new longer zoom lens..

How about getting onto higher grounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Irvine View Post

Bro, oversharpen le. Soften it a bit better. Your moon too much goosebumps le.

Quote Originally Posted by justshot View Post
    How about getting onto higher grounds?
    Maybe if you get to 3000m or 4000m sure. You'd need to get beyond the smog levels, away from the city lights.
    Alpha

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast