Thread: Please give advices regarding M42 lens

Default Please give advices regarding M42 lens

Hi,
    I'm using Nikon D40 and 18-55mm + 50/1.8. And I'm thinking of selling both of them to switch to M42 lens. But I don't know weather it's good to do so and where can I find good M42 lens at a reasonable price (other than from Ebay). BTW can i get AF with M42 lens or they are fully manual focus?
    Thanks.

Default Re: Please give advices regarding M42 lens

M42 lenses are fully manual lenses with universal screw mount. It will not AF on DSLR. Youohave to set the aperture and manually focus. On DSLR have to use A mode so that the DSLR can set the shutter speed. OR M mode so that you have full control on aperture and shutter speed. Need to get an adapter to mount the M42 lens onto to the Nikon body though. Keep the prsent Nikon system and get some lenses to play with. Have an old school nikon lens that can AF and full manual control to try out; pm me if keen.

Just my 2 cents. Full manual lens are not the easiest to use... I have quite a bit of them, most are telelens though.

hmm... i'm under the impression that if your body has a in-body focus motor, your MF lens can AF as well. Seems like i'm wrong after all..
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic
    hmm... i'm under the impression that if your body has a in-body focus motor, your MF lens can AF as well. Seems like i'm wrong after all..
    Ya. Incorrect
    If the body has an AF motor, it has a slotted screw which matches to the appropriate lens. A fully MF lens does not have the slot in order to be driven by the body.
    Hope that makes sense.
    Exploring! :)

You cannot af but you can get adapter that gives AF confirm. Just turn the focusing ring yourself and when it's in focus you will hear the usual BEEP sound.

Other than Ebay --> buy and sell section in this forum.
    AF confirm adapter get from ebay cheap cheap.

You cannot af but you can get adapter that gives AF confirm. Just turn the focusing ring yourself and when it's in focus you will hear the usual BEEP sound.

Other than Ebay --> buy and sell section in this forum.
    AF confirm adapter get from ebay cheap cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by quanganht View Post
    Hi,
    I'm using Nikon D40 and 18-55mm + 50/1.8. And I'm thinking of selling both of them to switch to M42 lens. But I don't know weather it's good to do so and where can I find good M42 lens at a reasonable price (other than from Ebay). BTW can i get AF with M42 lens or they are fully manual focus?
    Thanks.
    As most have stated above, you will not have AF and your metering will have to be manual. However the mount flange distance will also be an issue as you cannot focus to infinity.