Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 67

Thread: kena bbb poison but not progressing

  1. #1

    Default kena bbb poison but not progressing

    Hi people,

    i have kena BBB poisoning but my skills is not improving. Pls kindly advise on how i can proceed on and up my skill.

    it started when my gf wanna start up a blogshop and want to take studio shoot. The studio will need a DSLR camera horseshoe to activated the flash, not very sure whether to get a 600D or 7D. Shop advise to get 600D as it serve my purpose. So get a 600D with a 50mm f1.8 a month back and that's where the poisoning starts.

    i read up the forum and get to understand the ISO, Aperture and Shutter and have been playing around with manual setting.

    I also do understand that Canon lens are good especially those L lens and that their resale values does not drop much, hence, i went into buying and buying.

    Here's what i acquire for the one month:

    600D
    50mm f1.8
    18-55 from my frenz
    Aipo Dry Cabinet
    24-105
    17-55
    70-200
    580EXII
    10-22
    7D
    Gitzo Cremaillere 3 without the tripod head(dun noe which tripodhead to get for the tripod)

    I went for the basic studio lighting course and did some reading to understand the shutter, aperture and ISO but i dun really know how to further improve my skills.

    Pls kindly advise what should my steps be now and what i should do.

    **Do note that i create this post to ask for advise, pls do not flame me.**

  2. #2

    Default Re: kena bbb poison but not progressing

    I think you should buy a 5DII. The weak link is in your 600D. But you then need to sell the 17-55mm and 10-22mm and 600D and get the 16-35mm.

  3. #3

    Default Re: kena bbb poison but not progressing

    you have both 600d and 7d now ?
    facebook | Kiwira

  4. #4
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: kena bbb poison but not progressing

    It seems to me you have happily piled up a lot of equipment just for the sake of having it - but without a photographic purpose. Skills develop along the way of practicing. Do you really think that after 1 month reading, snapping and one studio light session you have developed any skills? I doubt you even know how to operate the basic functions of your camera properly. Skills are knowledge and experience. The latter one undoubtedly needs time.
    So instead of drooling over next bodies, blabbering about supposedly better lenses and stuff you should downsize (1 body, one lens) and just take stunning pictures. If your pictures aren't stunning then no equipment will help. Think about stunning pictures taken 30 years ago. They didn't had L lenses, but they delivered stunning pics. So it can't be the secret of the L lenses, right?
    You could attend a basic photography course (objectifs) and learn to see, learn about composition. Think about why you want to take pictures, what exactly makes you taking this picture etc ..
    The answer to your problem does not sit in the gear... it's the opposite direction.
    Last edited by Octarine; 15th April 2011 at 09:29 AM.
    EOS

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: kena bbb poison but not progressing

    That's quite a severe case of poisoning in 1 month.....I read this somewhere on how to progress further...

    1) Read More
    Learn about the basics first. (From composition, lighting, DOF etc).

    2) Shoot more
    After reading abt it, go shoot more based on your own readings

    3) Review More
    Review your own photos. Review not only your photos, but photos by others as well. When you see a nice shot taken by others, take a step back and analyze that photo and ask, why do you think this photo is nice, then compare to your own photo and from there try to identify your own mistakes/shortcomings. If you still can't find out why, try posting the photo in the critiques section

    4) Cycle repeats
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  6. #6
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: kena bbb poison but not progressing

    TS, since you have already acquired the gear....

    Assuming you are not that tight for cash, I suppose you don't have an urgent need to sell any of your gear.
    You should now focus on making the best use of it, rather than having the thought that adding 'just that one more lens/accessory' will improve your photos.

    if you are interested in studio photography, why not spend a bit more time and money to either:
    1) Go for more classes in studio photography
    2) Rent a studio and shoot

    Option #2 might not be such a great idea if you still don't understand the basics.
    Exploring! :)

  7. #7

    Default Re: kena bbb poison but not progressing

    Best way to improve is to practise the skills you learn on the internet. Read up more from the internet (Google is your best friend), and then practise what you learn with the equipment you have.

  8. #8

    Default Re: kena bbb poison but not progressing

    Woah, that's serious poisoning! First thing I'd do if I were you is to cancel the credit cards! Don't buy any more stuff. You have plenty already....just take some time to enjoy the process. Don't expect immediate results, just shoot what you like best and be good at it.

    I'm not sure if you want to take any more courses but if you're keen, I am conducting a workshop starting next week. PM/email me for more details.

  9. #9

    Default Re: kena bbb poison but not progressing

    Quote Originally Posted by blackwire View Post
    i have kena BBB poisoning but my skills is not improving. Pls kindly advise on how i can proceed on and up my skill.
    Stop buying. BBB does not mean better skill. Better lenses, better gear, does not mean more skill. You can have the very best camera out there, but it will NOT help your skill. I do not know where you got this mentality that buying more gear = gaining skill. Maybe gaining credit card bills, yes.


    Quote Originally Posted by blackwire View Post
    it started when my gf wanna start up a blogshop and want to take studio shoot. The studio will need a DSLR camera horseshoe to activated the flash, not very sure whether to get a 600D or 7D. Shop advise to get 600D as it serve my purpose. So get a 600D with a 50mm f1.8 a month back and that's where the poisoning starts.
    You mean hotshoe, not horseshoe. Get the terms right. And the shop was right, a 600D is already more than you need for a simple blog shop.



    Quote Originally Posted by blackwire View Post
    I also do understand that Canon lens are good especially those L lens and that their resale values does not drop much, hence, i went into buying and buying.
    Not all are good, and if resale value is that important to you, it shows your priorities are all wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by blackwire View Post
    Here's what i acquire for the one month:

    600D
    50mm f1.8
    18-55 from my frenz
    Aipo Dry Cabinet
    24-105
    17-55
    70-200
    580EXII
    10-22
    7D
    Gitzo Cremaillere 3 without the tripod head(dun noe which tripodhead to get for the tripod)
    Why the heck did you get a 7D???


    Quote Originally Posted by blackwire View Post
    I went for the basic studio lighting course and did some reading to understand the shutter, aperture and ISO but i dun really know how to further improve my skills.
    It's called practice. some of us have been shooting for over 20 years and will still not say we are "masters". We are always learning. Don't expect a course to spoon-feed you all the knowledge and skills - they can only give you the basics, everything else comes with practice.


    Quote Originally Posted by blackwire View Post
    Pls kindly advise what should my steps be now and what i should do.

    **Do note that i create this post to ask for advise, pls do not flame me.**
    to me, you are a classic example of the youth of today - seeking immediate gratification, instant knowledge, think reading a book is enough, and by throwing more $$$ at something you'll instantly get "skills".

    This is a very wrong mindset. Building up photography skills can take many many months and years, even a lifetime. More $$$ will not help, you should have just stuck to a 600d with kit lens and mastered that first! The only way to help yourself is to stop buying, you cannot buy skills. Go out and practice. a lot. Shoot anything - people on the streets, animals, landscape, kids playing, etc. Soon you will realize what works and what doesn't.

    for studio shoots, practice practice practice!!
    Alpha

  10. #10
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackwire
    Pls kindly advise what should my steps be now and what i should do.

    **Do note that i create this post to ask for advise, pls do not flame me.**
    Next step is to keep shooting and shooting and shooting, and try to apply all you have read.

    Also read up on composition.

    Btw, no matter how good the equipment, once it is 2nd hand, price will drop 15-20%

    Btw, ok mah your equipment. Not as scary as some people I've seen. LOL.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 15th April 2011 at 10:49 AM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: kena bbb poison but not progressing

    Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

  12. #12

    Default Re: kena bbb poison but not progressing

    why not quit this hobby and sell me cheap cheap?

    haha

    Remember, the only way to improve your skill is keep shooting.

    I remember I read somewhere that "the first 10 000 shoot is the worse shoot in the lifetime."

    Google around, play with the Triangle Photography, join some photographer group outing, for sure, your skill will improve.

    But the most important element is keep shooting.

  13. #13
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default Re: kena bbb poison but not progressing

    sell me some of the gears you don't want.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  14. #14
    Senior Member oceanpriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ghim Moh
    Posts
    3,453

    Default Re: kena bbb poison but not progressing

    Quote Originally Posted by lcheowl View Post
    why not quit this hobby and sell me cheap cheap?

    haha

    Remember, the only way to improve your skill is keep shooting.

    I remember I read somewhere that "the first 10 000 shoot is the worse shoot in the lifetime."

    Google around, play with the Triangle Photography, join some photographer group outing, for sure, your skill will improve.

    But the most important element is keep shooting.
    I'm sure your BBB skill will improve too

  15. #15

    Default Re: kena bbb poison but not progressing

    i think u need a hassleblad.

  16. #16

    Default Re: kena bbb poison but not progressing

    Quote Originally Posted by alantkh View Post
    I think you should buy a 5DII. The weak link is in your 600D. But you then need to sell the 17-55mm and 10-22mm and 600D and get the 16-35mm.
    The weak link is his skills and knowledge (lack of), 600D is already very capable of delivering good images. 5D II + no skills = weaker link.

    To me sell your 24-105 and 7D if your focus is on product shoots. The tilt screen of 600D might come in handy. If you don't need the tilt screen then sell 600D instead for you never know when you will venture into action photography and 7D comes in handy.

  17. #17

    Default Re: kena bbb poison but not progressing

    interesting >> **Do note that i create this post to ask for advise, pls do not flame me.**
    I think this should be used in every newbies signature. No offence.

    @TS join the free gathering events found in Gatherings and Outings thread. Speak to your fellow mates and mentors, I think you will find the trip rewarding. Do not be eager to MASTER photography, build up your fundation instead. MOst people takes years to do it(hopefully your interest is still there).

  18. #18

    Default Re: kena bbb poison but not progressing

    Quote Originally Posted by gundamseed84 View Post
    The weak link is his skills and knowledge (lack of), 600D is already very capable of delivering good images. 5D II + no skills = weaker link.

    To me sell your 24-105 and 7D if your focus is on product shoots. The tilt screen of 600D might come in handy. If you don't need the tilt screen then sell 600D instead for you never know when you will venture into action photography and 7D comes in handy.
    Haha it was sarcasm, do not need to explain the weak link part bro

  19. #19
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: kena bbb poison but not progressing

    Quote Originally Posted by lcheowl View Post
    why not quit this hobby and sell me cheap cheap?

    haha

    Remember, the only way to improve your skill is keep shooting.

    I remember I read somewhere that "the first 10 000 shoot is the worse shoot in the lifetime."

    Google around, play with the Triangle Photography, join some photographer group outing, for sure, your skill will improve.

    But the most important element is keep shooting.
    Just curious what this Triangle Photography is...
    Exploring! :)

  20. #20
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: kena bbb poison but not progressing

    the photography skills has noting related to how much gear or how advance the gear you have or own.

    any suggestions of getting better camera, lens or equipment will make you sink even deeper in the mud.

    the only way to improve is to spend time on every basic aspect of photography, understand, absorb, and apply each of them on every picture you took.
    be the worst critic on your own photos, be very objective, delete as much as you can. delete all if there is noting worth to keep.
    shoot with minimum gear, shoot the same subject over and over, till you can't find any other better way to shoot it. this will keep you in focus and stretch your creativity to the max.

    there is no short cut, if you spend 10000 hours on any subject, you will be a master of that subject. just look at all great musician, they spend countless hours on practicing just to perfect one piece of music.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •